Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Re-using letters of rec?

brynsarahbrynsarah Alum Member
in General 7 karma
I applied to law school before and didn't like how things were looking so I'm taking a year off to retake the LSAT and re-apply. Since I would ask at least one or two of the same people who wrote me letters of rec last year, should I reuse the ones they wrote me? Maybe change the date? Idk. Or tell them my predicament and ask if they can write a new one? Not much has changed in the last year so it's not like the letters would be all that different. Thanks!

Comments

• LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Sounds like it would be the same. Just ask them to change the date.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    I don't think LOR matter as much if you are reapplying. But an increase in your LSAT should be the most important thing. I'm actually reapplying as well since I was not given any scholarships so I decided to hold off and retake the LSAT. When I asked many others in regards to getting new LORs or submitting the same ones I had last cycle. Everyone one told me to use what I had in my file. No need to change much but to increase my LSAT score to get money. I also spoke to admissions about LORs and they basically said the same as others had told me.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Factors in order of importance in reapplying to law school:

1) Higher LSAT
    2) New PS (seriously do it, it looks super lazy if you don't, you literally had a year)
    3) Update your resume and get something more significant to add to it if possible
    4) Changing out your LORs.

Now, if I were you I would definitely add an LOR. Either another teacher or an employer in the interim can at least give a bit of a freshness to your application. Ideally you want your second application to be consistent with the first, just stronger. So it makes sense if you use the same LORs, but if you can switch one out for a new one of equal strength, that's obviously better. If nobody is going to write you better LORs than you already have, then just get them to update it with a new date.
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    578 karma
    Along the same lines, I started the application process last year and never submitted my app because I decided to postpone and retake the LSAT this year. Do you guys still think it's ok to use the same LORs? As is the case for the original poster, nothing has really changed in my life lol
  • sarkisp23sarkisp23 Alum Member
    374 karma
    What do you mean "new personal statement?" @Pacifico its not like they have your old one side by side for comparison. They don't even know you applied before. Unless you mean a new one relevant to what you're doing now. In other words, an updated personal statement
    8021 karma
    @mes08 they haven't seen anything so you're good to go. If you're super worried about the dates just have your recommenders change them and resubmit them, but it's not a big deal.

@sarkisp Many adcoms will absolutely pull your old file to see what you updated and also to get a feel for why they made their previous decision since they likely won't remember you, so the general recommendation is always to make a new one. The number of reapplicants per school is small enough that it's not a huge burden to do this in most cases. No sense getting dinged by a school for laziness.
  • sarkisp23sarkisp23 Alum Member
    374 karma
    @Pacifico That's interesting thanks for the tip. I'll make sure to refer back to your aforementioned list of factors after my LSAT
    8021 karma
    No problem, good luck!
  • brynsarahbrynsarah Alum Member
    7 karma
    @Pacifico thank you! Yes, I am focusing on increasing my LSAT score first and foremost. Since I would like to apply as soon as I can after I receive my score, I would like to be prepared to send my applications.
    I did already think about rewriting my personal statement. I didn't like my first one too much and I think I have something better to write about this time anyway.
    I am adding a LOR too! Not much changed between me and my original LOR authors, but a lot did change in a year and I got more experience and an extra person to give me a recommendation.
    Thanks again for all your sage advice!