PT35.S4.Q21 - all social systems are based upon

jmac800jmac800 Member
edited January 2016 in General 94 karma
http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-35-section-4-question-21/
Between a/c B and C. Firstly I have issues with how the Conclusion is about labor savng technology tends to undermine values--- being interpreted as a conditional statement. We do not know it is guaranted because it is just a TENDENCY. So if when I golf it tends to rain, you cannot make that a conditional statement. Because if it doesn't rain that doesn't mean I cannot golf. I can golf and it not rain. That is why C doesn't make sense to me. You have to view the last sentence as a C.S. for it to. B is a better answer. No type of tech will fail to undermine the values of a social system = a type of tech will undermine the values in a social system. Yes that type of tech is labour saving tech. so it seems correct.

Comments

• nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    If (B) says No type of technology will fail to undermine the values in a social system, then what is really being said is that All technologies WILL undermine the values in a social system. But the stimulus is just referring to the specific types of technologies that get rid of the prestige affording economic roles. This answer is factually inaccurate.
    AC-C says: If values stay the same (are not undermined) -- > there is no technology present able to eliminate economic roles. This is just the contrapositive of the last sentence. This seems better.
  • jmac800jmac800 Member
    94 karma
    I guess my question is how do you figure out this:
    "No type of technology will fail to undermine the values in a social system, then what is really being said is that All technologies WILL undermine the values in a social system."

I thought the opposite of no=some. How did it become All?
    ie I would expected it to be SOME technologies will undermine, (ie labor saving ones) not ALL.
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    I tickle the English a little. (There exists) no technology (that) will fail to undermine the values in a social system. So (all the technologies) that (are) in existence do (or will) undermine (etc.) in effect saying that Techs in existence, all of them, undermine the values.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    Hey @jmac800! I think you're getting tripped up a little on the double negative.

Consider this excercise:

How you would phrase the statement, "All children go to school" using negatives? You can't just put a "no" at the beginning because then it would be "no child goes to school", so to compensate for that first negative you need another:
    "No child fails to go to school" or "no child does not go to school." Now we're back to the meaning of our original statement about all children.

Try this exercise again with this phrase: "all technologies undermine the values in social systems." You'll find that the statement looks a lot like answer choice B.

Also, you mentioned the opposite of "no" in your post, and I just want to make sure that you're not taking the negation of any answer choices in MSS questions, because that technique only applies to NA questions. Moreover, if you were negating B, then the negation of B would be "some technologies do not undermine the values of social systems," not what you wrote above. If you weren't talking about the negation, then just ignore this last bit!

Hope this helps! Good luck!