Seriously, just buy The 180 Watch

danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
in General 4181 karma
Okay, I get I look like a sucker for paying $60 for something I could have paid $20 for, especially in light of the watch's very limited purpose.

But please, "hear" me out on this (if you'd rather not, please buy from me my LSAT Max watch). I purchased the watch from LSAT Max after much consideration. Honestly, I didn't want to buy an LSAT watch at all, but particularly after hearing horror stories of careless proctor's messing with much-coveted minutes, I felt it was worth the plunge. But if you're going to buy a watch to save you any from trouble or perfect planning outside of the actual performance on the LSAT, The 180 Watch seems to be the only one comfortably worth your while.

There's nothing necessarily wrong with the LSAT Max watch or others within its price range, but the fact that you have to manually reset your time (with a second hand that does not reset) is a legitimate thorn in the side. Maybe others here will disagree with me, but I would at least caution those who are thinking of buying a watch to consider what the difference in the available selection actually entails.

The 180 Watch is less distracting, given the "second hand" moves less frequently and is actually within a much smaller frame than the head of the watch itself. I consider the strategic markings (such as the longer tick marks at 8:00 intervals) to be helpful but not deal-makers. The fact that the watch can be reset with the push of a button and down to the second is huge. As one who involuntarily obsesses over little things like the first scratch on a new pair of shoes or a video game case, knowing I'm not (at the very least) seconds off in time lets me proceed much more smoothly. Not to mention, the better accuracy is just simply better.

I didn't know this key difference existed between The 180 Watch and its competitors. Now, I have two watches with the same, very limited purpose.

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @danielznelson said:
    The fact that the watch can be reset with the push of a button and down to the second is huge.
    I have the 180 Watch and it's a game changer. The 35minutes.com watch was great while I was training (I now have an intuitive grasp of where I should be based on the watch face, thanks to practice with color coded watch), but for the actual test I think there's no question. It's 180 Watch or bust.
    7965 karma
    PS I am certainly not being paid to say these things ...

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I think I'm going to have to take the plunge since my nails aren't long enough to easily adjust the 35minutes watch...
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    Am I missing something with this? Can someone show me a video of what this watch does that’s so special? Unless it can tell me what the necessary assumption is to an abstruse argument that I’m currently reading, it seems like a waste of money... :)
    8021 karma
    It's basically a legal stopwatch.
  • Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    1294 karma
    I have a similar cheaper watch I got for around 20$. It counts down from 35 to 0 (my only complaint) and it seems to do the trick pretty well. The 180 watch looks really nice, though.
  • LARamsNationLARamsNation Member
    edited January 2016 592 karma
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    I'm totally with you @DumbHollywoodActor, or at least was. I don't like the purchase I made, but I figured even if it were to end up being completely useless, I would be out $60. For me, the decision to buy the watch was a risk averse one. For others, the $60 legitimately might make it the opposite. Obviously, if you feel there's no need for a watch, this would be the most ridiculous purchase ever (I still can't believe I caved).

@Pacifico basically summed it up as perfectly as it can be.

@Matt1234567 I only purchased the watch because of the "stopwatch" mechanism. When I realized that I had to attempt to adjust the hand (and not even the secondhand) I was pretty ticked. And whenever I tried timed sections or problem sets, I was still ticked off, haha. As mentioned, the watch does have other nice benefits.

@movanation http://www.180watch.com
    4181 karma
    I would actually rather not use a watch at all than use anything other than The 180 Watch. Fidgeting around with a tiny gadget proved to be too distracting and anger-inducing for me. Then again, maybe I'm the real problem.
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    I think I'm going to have to take the plunge since my nails aren't long enough to easily adjust the 35minutes watch...
    Exactly
    7965 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    Unless it can tell me what the necessary assumption is to an abstruse argument that I’m currently reading, it seems like a waste of money... :)
    I can demonstrate via vid chat on Weds BR call. Gotta remember to put my face on (just kidding, this is what I look like while I'm on the calls)...

• DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    Gotta remember to put my face on
    That’s how my grandma used to refer to her make-up regimen. nice. I look forward to the demo.
    8021 karma
    oh boy...video BR call...
    8021 karma
    can you prop up the 180 watch or do you have to wear it? this was probably the feature I liked most on the 35minutes watch.... the color coded sections were nice except they put the blue next to green and the change over is almost imperceptible in low light conditions....
    edited September 2015 7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    can you prop up the 180 watch or do you have to wear it?
    Man I ain't wearin' no watch. I props it.

It does not prop *as well* as the 35 minute but we are big boys and girls and can adjust the strap to stabilize it.
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    oh boy...video BR call...
    Yeah and product demo no less!
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    the color coded sections were nice except they put the blue next to green and the change over is almost imperceptible in low light conditions....
    True that—and I find that I still know exactly where I am in terms of time. That = practice and I think the 35 minute watch helped to hone my analog clock instincts.
  • Faaabs93Faaabs93 Alum Member
    edited September 2015 82 karma
    Sorry to come in and hijack this thread, but I have this watch with the colored sections. Can I use that on test day?

http://lsatwatch.webs.com

It says LSAC approved as of 2014, but nothing's changed drastically since then, right?
    edited September 2015 7965 karma
    @InsertPseudonymHere said:
    Sorry to come in and hijack this thread, but I have this watch with the colored sections. Can I use that on test day?
    That's the color coded watch we're talking about. Yes, it's fine per LSAC. But be warned. Mine broke (mechanism ripped out) after just a few months' usage. So, methinks that would suck to have mechanism rip out on test day (or like 3 days before test day).
  • mepujalsmepujals Alum Member
    103 karma
    I was eyeing the color coded one on ebay but due to this discussion I splurged and ordered the 180 watch. Oh, how the LSAT makes me do strange things!
  • bSM45LSATbSM45LSAT Member
    522 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    That's the color coded watch we're talking about. Yes, it's fine per LSAC. But be warned. Mine broke (mechanism ripped out) after just a few months' usage. So, methinks that would suck to have mechanism rip out on test day (or like 3 days before test day).
    You're scaring me :(. I bought mine 2 months ago and it's still working great, but I have this strange fear now what if stops working on test day.
  • Faaabs93Faaabs93 Alum Member
    82 karma
    *goes on Amazon and buys another LSAT watch out of pranoia*
    7965 karma
    Yeah guys ... Sorry to say ... My color coded/35minutes watch lasted 4 months and about 20 PT's and then it bit the dust. If i were you, I would get a better watch (180 watch) and then even think about getting a super cheap backup at CVS or something.
  • DaveH162DaveH162 Alum Member
    221 karma
    If anyone taking the October test is looking to sell their 180 watch pm me please!
  • odebs2797odebs2797 Alum Member
    136 karma
    You guys convinced me, ordered the 180 watch. Thanks for the info!
  • badgalriribadgalriri Alum Member
    316 karma
    is there any way to get this watch cheaper?
  • badgalriribadgalriri Alum Member
    316 karma
    just kidding just spent the money because this seems so useful. thanks guys!
    4181 karma
    Haha, @badgalriri they do supposedly offer coupons from time to time, though I couldn't find one that worked.
  • fefortv36fefortv36 Member
    14 karma
    @pujals said:
    Oh, how the LSAT makes me do strange things!
    I second that, just ordered it as well. My days of waiting for the second hand to (hopefully) reach zero between sections are soon to be gone! Thanks for the tip guys
  • Elyse LeolaElyse Leola Member
    23 karma
    Guys. I didn't even realize there were watches specifically designed for the LSAT. I feel so behind, now. As if I haven't spent enough money already!
  • allergicallergic Alum Member Inactive Sage
    edited September 2015 246 karma