Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Logic Games Attack Strategy

PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
edited July 2018 in Study Guides/Cheat Sheets 8021 karma
So I've got three weeks left in the Army before I start terminal leave and I've finally reached the end of the learning curriculum and the only thing that stands in between me and 4-5 months of PTs is the LG Bundle. As I finished up the last few LG sections in the curriculum I saw a lot of people were having the same questions, concerns and other issues with how to approach their LG studies and utilizing the Fool Proof Method and since I don't really have a job or much to do at work anymore I thought I'd offer up my solution and strategy to address some of these problems. I think the Fool Proof Method is awesome, but I tweaked it very slightly for my purposes and I think it could help some people out to employ a similar strategy. If this helps you in any way, please pass it along to anyone else who may be struggling.

Top concerns I have seen from other people:
1) I think 10 copies of every LG is wasting paper.
2) I don't have enough time to do all the LGs.
3) I want to know the categories for every LG I'm doing.
4) When do I do which games and how often do I do them again?

Before I answer these questions directly, here is what I've actually done to set myself up for success. If you were fortunate enough to get the LG Bundle before LSAC made it vanish, then you have all the games from PTs 1-35 which is 140 games. If you have anything less than that, just scale down what I'm prescribing, but everything should still go along as I outline here. I got a few 2" 3-ring binders and filled them with document protectors. I then began with PT 1 and printed out 4 copies of the first game (more on this later), which if you have the LG Bundle is 8 pieces of paper since 7Sage was kind enough to format the old LGs like the new ones with 2 pages and plenty of room to work. If you don't have this I'd say add a piece of scratch paper in with each game to give yourself extra space to simulate what you'll have on the LSAT. I then placed all 4 copies of the first game in a document protector and put a sticky note on the front denoting the following: PT#, LG#, and then a chart with 1st-4th attempts on the vertical axis and Date/Time/Score on the horizontal axis (more on this later as well). I then repeated this process for each subsequent game so that now I have a binder full of 4 copies of each LG, although due to the volume of paper you'll need at least 2 or 3 binders like I mentioned above.

All the information I collect on the sticky notes I will put into a very simple Excel spreadsheet I have designed to track my progress. If you've read this far and are still interested, feel free to message me your email and I will send you a blank copy of the spreadsheet I designed so you can use it and tweak it how you see fit. In a nutshell it has space to log the date/time/score for every attempt for every LG in the bundle.

The first attempt is simply that, just my first shot at a new LG. I time everything with a stopwatch so I know how I'm doing, but I don't set a timer because that doesn't really make sense to me since I'm working to standard and not to time. If you time yourself and stop then you won't know how long the game is actually taking you, so always use a stopwatch (I hope this is common sense at this point). So once I finish I record the date and the time it took me and I blind review and then check my score. I then record only the score I got while timing myself since this is LG and there is no way you should get LG questions wrong during BR since you can just brute force the answers if need be if you really don't understand something. If you're missing LG questions on BR then in my opinion there is something seriously wrong in your methodologies and you need to perhaps relearn the basics unless you just misread a question or something like that.

After recording the data on the sticky note and transferring it to my spreadsheet I watch JY's video explanation and go over the game and then I put that LG in the back of the document protector it came from behind the clean LGs and take out the second copy. I then make my second attempt, timing myself, doing my BR, recording all data, and then rewatching the video if necessary. I then make my third attempt the next day, and my fourth attempt I make a week later, always following the same methodologies as I did on the first attempt.

My thinking is that if I'm really serious about this, I should be able to conquer any given LG in four tries. Two in a row should see a huge time and accuracy improvement since it's so fresh in my mind, then the third and fourth attempts simply reinforce this improvement and the retention of the strategy. This also makes you more efficient since you know that each LG is simply a 7-8 day practice exercise. Trying to schedule out an additional 6 attempts to do all 10 copies just seemed ridiculous to me given that there are 140 LGs to do in the bundle. In my mind it's better to be able to develop mastery more quickly and then encounter a wider variety of games in order to make sure you're ready for everything. Of course, if there is an incredibly hard LG then obviously that may require additional attempts, but this should be a rare exception to the rule.

So to revisit the concerns I noted above, here are my solutions:

1) Obviously you're going to have to get over using some paper, so cutting that down by 60% should be a good tradeoff to help get you into law school in my opinion. And once you get your 170+ you can go recycle all that paper!

2) If you don't have time to do all the LGs, just scale down the above and do what you have time for. If you know it will take a week turnaround per LG and you can do 5 per day, then you know you can get at least 30-35 done in a two week period depending on if you take a day off or not. At this rate you could do more than 100 LGs before the June LSAT if need be (but you should probably be focusing on PTs). If you have to scale way down I'd recommend randomly picking PTs from 1-35 and doing all the games in that PT so you shouldn't end up doing all of the same kind of question and will get a better feel for the variability within a given test.

3) In my opinion you absolutely should never record the category of any game you attempt. If you do, it will negatively influence your work since you will know going in to use a chart or to sequence and group rather than just deducing what needs to be done. When you take the LSAT it doesn't say GROUPING GAME in bold type at the top of the page, so you should practice like its the real thing, which means no knowledge of categories.

4) I think I addressed this well in my strategy above, but it bears repeating: Make 4 attempts: 1st - Today, 2nd - Immediately afterwards, 3rd - Tomorrow, 4th - In a week (either a week from attempts 1&2 or a week from your 3rd attempt, that's your call schedule wise).

Anyways, I know this is a bit long but I hope it helps at least one person because as a longtime lurker I have gotten a lot of help from the community here and I wanted to try to do my part to give at least a little bit back. If anyone is still reading this and wants more details or wants photos of my binders or that Excel spreadsheet, feel free to hit me up anytime. Best of luck to all the June LSAT takers and to everyone else in your studies!

~Pacifico

P.S.- Though I am more than happy to help anyone here with any issues they may have, I will not send you the LG Bundle as that would violate both 7Sage and LSAC regulations. Please don't put me or anyone else in that position because I am trying to help people here and won't break the law to do so. Thanks for your cooperation!

P.P.S. - I don't check my inbox on here anymore, but if you have any questions you can DM me on Twitter @pacificosoldati and I'll do my best to help you however I can.

Comments

• visualcreedvisualcreed Member Inactive ⭐
    326 karma
    I don't like to waste paper either so I just use scratch paper to do my answers and work. I also don't take more than a few times to really have a handle on a game. "Congratulations" on getting out of the Army, ETS or retirement? I ETS in August.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Thanks! ETS... Just hit my six year mark... Start terminal leave Memorial Day and then I'll be out for good in August as well!
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited May 2015 587 karma
    This post was very, very helpful. To anyone struggling with LG, I suggest reading through it to get plenty of decent information in terms of studying LG sections. Much appreciated @Pacifico!
  • marlizacmarlizac Member
    20 karma
    @Pacifico . I employed a very similar approach to yours with the LG bundle, sheet protectors and all. I completed the bundle a couple of months ago. Currently, I am in the PTing phase of this whole process but now that time has passed, I revisit the games often just to make sure my understanding of each one is still as solid as it was a couple months ago. I also coupled the 7sage curriculum with the LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim, as suggested by other 7sagers, which put all of JY's lessons into perspective for me, especially the LG strategies that the Trainer teaches you to utilize for eliminating wrong answer choices. Anyways, Good luck studying!
  • bSM45LSATbSM45LSAT Member
    edited June 2015 522 karma
    So just today I finished the core curriculum in terms of LG, just have a few LR questions left. I've been meaning to get to this thread as I read it a couple weeks ago, and thought it was a great way to effectively conquer the games.
    @Pacifico said:
    put a sticky note on the front denoting the following: PT#, LG#, and then a chart with 1st-4th attempts on the vertical axis and Date/Time/Score on the horizontal axis
    I'm a little confused with the chart, could you clarify what that means?

Thanks for making this guide, I unfortunately don't have access to all the LG from 1-35, I only have the games from 7-35, so I'm missing some of the earlier ones.

Regardless I've got my binder, just need to start printing 4 clean copies of each game.

Have about 3 months before Oct, and I'm going to give myself 2 days for all the LG from a given PT. And then obviously I'll do it 1 week again but by then it should be really easy. I have 28 prep tests to go through to do the LG, meaning it should take me roughly 56 days, so I should be done by September. I'll just have to set a time everyday like an hour to do the 4 games, then watch JY's explanation, and then do it again.
    edited June 2015 8021 karma
    Oh it's nothing special, just very simple with three columns (Date, Time, Score) and four rows (Attempts 1-4) like I said, so for example if you're starting with PT 7 and made all four attempts over the past week your note should look something like this, minus the inherent left justification of the comment formatting:

PT 7
    LG 1
    Date Time Score
    1st Attempt 13JUN 11:52 4/7
    2nd Attempt 13JUN 6:48 7/7
    3rd Attempt 14JUN 6:34 7/7
    4th Attempt 20JUN 6:50 7/7

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions!
    522 karma
    Oh okay yeah that makes perfect sense not sure why I was confused lol.

Thanks again!

• Aiesha G.Aiesha G. Alum Member
    199 karma
    This is great! As so have written many times by now lol the time commitment towards studying for the LSAT is a very difficult thing for me to overcome considering my son, night shifts at hospital etc. So doing LGs 10 times seemed like an impossible task for me. I will use your approach and let you know how it works. I am going to send you my email address for the spreadsheet. Again, thank you for all of your help. =)
  • __Juan____Juan__ Alum Member
    184 karma
    Is your spreadsheet similar to the Cambridge LG Tracker? I imagine you have additional columns for attempts past 4.

http://www.cambridgelsat.com/resources/spreadsheets/lsat-logic-games-tracker/
  • DaveH162DaveH162 Alum Member
    221 karma
    @Pacifico What is your progress on the LG bundle thus far? What is your schedule like in terms of how many games you're doing per day or week?
    8021 karma
    @juan_name it looks somewhat like that, just organized slightly differently. If you want to see it just PM me your email.

@habad1 I got through the first 13 PTs (52 individual games) and was feeling pretty good so I started to PT. My general approach was to save as much drilling material as possible during the curriculum so that I could use it between PTs. I just go back now and then before a PT to do a new game to just get my mind right because I suck at the beginning of a PT if I'm not in test mode, so now I drill an RC passage, a game, and a problem set (usually NA since those are often my worst). I've averaged less than two wrong on LG and most of the ones I get wrong are reading errors and not so much logic errors, so for now I'm just saving the bundle for when I hit a rough patch of LG. When I was heavy into it though I was doing 5-10 games a day, which is two attempts a piece for first time games. Honestly if I had a laser printer at home I'd probably end up doing all of them in less than a week simply because I enjoy doing them.
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    @Pacifico Do you know of a document on 7Sage that has all the games grouped similar to the Cambridge Packets. Or at least the list of different games to the different groups. I still have access to the bundle but it would be a pain in @ss to group them so I'm trying to avoid purchasing the packets from Cambridge (since they are the new owners of my mortgage...lol). I have found that I Iearn better when I do games of the same type.
    8021 karma
    I know that in the 7Sage app in the Logic Games explanation section it shows the game types for a lot of tests, but I'm not sure if it does it for all of them. As I've explained here and elsewhere, I'm not really a fan of drilling the same type of game, or even knowing the game type in advance of my first attempt. If you have the bundle, my advice is to just do them in order, either timed individually or timed as full LG sections, as per my original post in this thread. That way you get a better feel for the dynamics across games within a full section rather than just repeatedly drilling the same type of game over and over. I think the best learning comes from the fool-proofing and then switching up game types boosts your skills across many game types so you don't just become a sequencing expert at the expense of developing your grouping skills.

I only use 7Sage and the LSAT Trainer so I'm not sure if there are other resources out there that group the games how you want them, but again I'd recommend against it. Also, if you follow my advice in the original post you could just put the game type for each on the sticky note on each document protector. It would be tedious, but if that's really what you want and need then I'd say it's better to invest your time in that than your money in something else since you already have the bundle.
    522 karma
    Well today was the first day of following this attack strategy and I'd say it went well. I did all the LG from Prep Test #7, first time around most were not that great, usually around 10min to complete each, with game 2 being 16min LOL, yeah basically because I didn't see that Thursday being excluded means I misinterpreted a crucial rule involving consecutive calendar days...sigh reading mistakes.

Then I watched JY's explanations, and did all the games again, recorded all the times, and I did Game 1 in like 3min, and the rest in roughly 6-8min, so overall I did amazing.

Now tomorrow I will do them once more, then in a week and I'll have mastered the games.

Although this is a painful technique, I can see how it will definitely be beneficial.

Where I usually mess up in doing a game the first time is either misinterpreting a rule making the game super difficult, or didn't read carefully. I do agree with you @Pacifico that timing is really crucial, b/c I mean if you give yourself infinite time you can just brute force through every single game, so I will continue timing myself.
    8021 karma
    Take the time to make sure that initial setup is on point. If you don't, hopefully you can see where you went wrong as soon as you hit the first question that is not just an acceptable situation question. Not sure if I mentioned it in this thread or another but if I have an empty game board after going through all the rules and think I might be missing something, I will quickly glance at the questions and if there are any plain MBT questions then I know I must have missed something and need to go back to find the inference I missed or see if it was a diagramming error.

The other thing you need to remember is if you encounter an error in misinterpretation, don't panic, just immediately go back to the point at which the error was made in your setup, or all the way back to the beginning if necessary. It sounds terrible but it's better than wasting time freaking out, and diagramming with the correct details the second time around should go much faster. The worst thing you can do on LGs (or any part of the LSAT for that matter) is panic. Just stick to the basics and use your skills step by step and you'll get through it.
    8021 karma
    I've also been flirting with the idea of answering the acceptable situation question before I make my master game board. Granted, I would only attempt this for questions that I had no idea what to do after reading the rules, but I think in such a situation it's possible that this strategy could help to loosen up my thinking about a difficult problem. I don't have any actual examples to cite where I would do this or have done this, it's just something I've been tossing around in my head.
  • visualcreedvisualcreed Member Inactive ⭐
    326 karma
    @Pacifico I think thats a great idea. I did that on the last game on the June test. I don't know how much it helped me but it got me thinking and I attribute that strategy for helping me POSSIBLY getting a few right vs. just guessing on the whole game. I also found that it helped when I was doing PTs. If you're lucky you won't have to use it but its a good idea if you come across that one crazy game which is apparently coming out on most tests now.
  • MaritzaaMaritzaa Alum Member
    368 karma
    @Pacifico , did you complete the LG bundle before PTing? I'm almost done with the LG lessons in the curriculum and wondering if that's enough to do in order to start PTing. I am planning to use the LG bundle for drilling. I know JY suggested completing the bundle before PTing but I think that will take too long (I'm planing to test in Oct). When did you utilize the bundle? Thanks!
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    @Mitzyyyy
    I completed the entire bundle in 4 days, FWIW. It is certainly possible to complete the bundle in a timely manner. Now, with that being said, everyone has different experiences with LG. Some people are naturally adept at solving games, while others take much longer to grasp the concepts and develop strong inference-building capabilities.
    8021 karma
    @Mitzyyyy I did the first third of the bundle before I started PTing, but that is only about 40-50 games or so, which is super easy to knock out in a few days for your first few run throughs. After that I felt comfortable enough to start PTing and I wanted to save the rest for drilling later. Now I try to drill 1-4 games before a PT along with an RC passage and some LR questions, just to get myself in the groove.
  • RebelwendyRebelwendy Alum Member
    168 karma
    @Pacifico This is great! About to start PTing - will definitely warm up with this method.
    522 karma
    Still working my way with this method, I've done all the games from PTs 7-13 now. Already I feel fairly confident. On any given game now I can usually finish in about 8-9min with accuracy. Sometimes I can do the first game in 5min, which really helps as the last games from these earlier tests are always so weird. That being said, on the actual LSAT I wouldn't have enough time for the last game, so I still need to keep working at it.

I am wondering though, in the newer prep tests are the games the same format of super easy, and then increasing difficulty til the last game?

Also reading the Trainer to incorporate some of his techniques into the games.
    8021 karma
    Great to hear things are going well for you. As you get further into PTs they definitely mix it up so I wouldn't get too psychologically invested in how they start out. I've taken PTs that the fourth game is the easiest and it can throw you for a loop at first but if you just stick to the basics and use your skills you'll be fine.

I started the trainer about a month ago. I was wary of LG in there at first but I love the use of shapes, vertical listing of elements and use of lowercase letters for subsets/qualities. Definitely worth integrating some of Mike Kim's techniques into your 7Sage LG approach.
  • megsvyas_OVOmegsvyas_OVO Alum Member
    218 karma
    Thanks for this strategy! I am definitely going to incorporate it into my prep! :)
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    @Pacifico thanks for posting this; I've been using an adapted version of your strategy and already building more skills and confidence. Great advice!
  • kyle101010kyle101010 Alum Member
    44 karma
    Just wondering when you guys believe you have conquered a game?

Some games I can flat do them in less than 5 minutes now and move on to another set of games. However others I can not. Yet, those are the 5 star ones. Should I be aiming to do even the 5 star ones in less than 5 minutes?

(I can do the 5 star ones in 7 minutes~ if I have seen them before. When I hit the 7~ for the hard ones is when I stop practicing them)
  • DaveH162DaveH162 Alum Member
    221 karma
    @kyle101010 that sounds about good. Under most of the LG explanation videos here on 7sage there is a target time. Otherwise, JY often mentions it in the beginning of the videos or in the comments below it. Keep aiming below those target times and you will be set...and don't forget to take full LG sections all together instead of simply doing individual games
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    @kyle101010 it's unrealistic, or at the very least not necessary, to aim to finish every game under 5 minutes. 7 minutes on hard games is really moving, so nice job on that! No need to put even more pressure on yourself to finish them in under 5 minutes. I suspect that strategy would be more counterproductive than anything else because you're going to be internalizing 6 or 7 minutes spent on a tough game as a failure. Mindset is key! Work hard, but don't overdo it.

Good luck!
  • amyrussellamyrussell Member
    20 karma
    Pacifico -- I am in week 3 of studying for the December exam, and my eyes glazed over as I read your post and I feel very discouraged because I really need "extra help" with the logic games. Is there anything you can recommend for me within the context of this site, or another site or The Trainer, which I am also reading...? In other words, can you break it down -- dumb it down, as it were, for me...?
    Thank you,
    Amy
  • amipp_93amipp_93 Alum Member
    585 karma
    @Pacifico i did this for every game I've encountered (I have all the next 10 books by the LSAC which excludes some tests but that's still a hell ton of games). Did your method and boom. LG used to be my weakness now I actually look forward to every LG section bc they're fun to me! Do this guys, anyone struggling. You gotta have the patience to re do every game you miss until you can do it with your eyes closed. It's learnable and very possible to master these inferences.
  • badgalriribadgalriri Alum Member
    316 karma
    so just to make this clear, the foolproof method is doing each logic GAME back to back? I've been redoing the entire section multiple times back to back.... but I should be practicing each separate game instead? Sorry if this is a dumb question @Pacifico
    8021 karma
    The foolproof method can be performed game by game or section by section. I think in the beginning it makes more sense to go game by game just to get a feel for developing mastery over a particular game and extrapolating that to mastering a game type. Later on in prep and during the PT phase it can be much more efficient to do this solely by section, but the concept is scaleable so it's all in what works for each individual.
  • badgalriribadgalriri Alum Member
    316 karma
    @Pacifico thank you for that clarification! I'll try both methods then
  • Edmond.DantesEdmond.Dantes Alum Member
    155 karma
    Awesome guidance! Really like it.

One quick question for LG vets - I noticed in the video explanation that JY removes all the verbiage on answer choices and leaves only the lawgic translation. Do people do that on real exams as well? I've been doing that if the answers are long, but otherwise just read it. Was wondering what other people have found useful. Thanks!
    8021 karma
    That's mostly a shorthand for teaching purposes. You want to be sure you're reading ACs thoroughly so that you don't make a mistake and misconstrue what it is actually saying.
  • allan.koganallan.kogan Member
    64 karma
    So I am 2 weeks away from finishing the core cirriculum (2 and a half months of cirriculum had to push back pting 2 weeks from january 25th to February 9th) and I have done almost all of the games in the cirriculum even following the fool proof method for games. I can sense that I am getting much better with LR and RC (timing of course not the greatest but I understand that will improve with practice exams). I guess my question is two things. If my timing is not perfect for rc passages and lr sets does that mean I should not start pting? (Even though I understand LR and RC well it is just timing that is an issue).

Lastly with games, are we supposed to be able to do any type of game thrown at us perfectly before we start PTing? I notice that I often spend the whole day going over 4 games (redoing them, reviewing them so the inferences click). I guess I will try your method of doing a game twice in a day, them moving forward and doing it the third time the next day, and a fourth time the week after to make sure I really remember the inferences. I wish there was time to do all the games from pt 1-35 during the cirriculum but it was not possible for me to do that even on a 6 month study plan, there was just no time, and I feel like all the games in the cirriculum were not enough for me to master games. I feel like that would take quite a while? If I start doing 2 practice exams a week and blind review shortly after starting (feb 9th-june 1st around 4 months roughly 2pts a week and maybe 3 a week the last few weeks before test day, around 35-36 total) than would give me time to start working on the LG budle from pt 1-35 on my in between days when I am not testing, as well as extra sharpening of RC and LR since I am only doing two exams a week, so its not like I am burning through them. Therefore starting pts wont be a waste even if I have not mastered games because only doing two a week will give me time to work on weaknesses in between and become assimilated to timing. What do you think? Sorry I know its a lot to respond to, take your time. @Pacifico
    8021 karma
    Don't worry about LR/RC timing, that will develop during PTs. Just keep up with them while you still LG for a few weeks. After the first week or two you can switch over to full LG sections to mimic test day a bit more and learn how to manage those dynamics.
  • edited January 2016 37 karma
    I just recently began having a similar problem to @allan.kogan when it comes to identifying LG setups right off the bat.

Before reading this post, which is actually incredibly insightful, I was already practicing LGs in a similar fashion. I would complete 3-4 sets and then retake them after hearing JY's explanation to make sure I picked up on the inferences. After about two weeks (this intense studying started at the beginning of this month after tanking on the December administration) I was consistently hitting +19/23 in every LG section. Then I attempted to take a timed PT in the 30s and got thrown off by an incredibly difficult setup. I thought I had seen every game board setup possible, and even if that wasn't true I believed I'd done enough games to create one on the spot... but that wasn't the case. While I ended up scoring 16 correct in the section, I realized that to hit a 160 I could not afford to freeze on a game (this is actually exactly what happened to me during 77 and I only got 12 correct in the section).

I apologize for the long-winded explanation, but I wanted to provide some context to my situation. My question is: What is the best method to secure that one has seen all (general) LG game boards? Does 7Sage provide a complete breakdown of every possible game board and LSAC solely tweaks a game to make it a bit more challenging? If not, I have PTs 29-76 and can supplement the curriculum on here to make sure nothing hits me by surprise. I know I won't score above a 160 if the same thing happens to me the second time around.

Any advice would be truly appreciated! @pacifico
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    I'm afraid there will always be a chance that your actual LSAT exam will include a board setup you've never seen before, even if you did every single game released. Some setups are just unique (the pattern game in 72 and the star game in 38 spring to mind), and there's no guarantee there won't be one in the next LSAT. The only way to prepare for that is to make sure you can nail the normal games quickly (there will usually be 1-2 easy games in a section with a weird one) and that you are confident enough with writing down the rules, seeing quickly how they interact and making inferences that you can at least "brute force" the difficult game even if you don't come up with the elegant setup that would break it wide open.
    And the only way to get there is practice. A lot of games (preferably all), and a lot of time (several months at least). You are on a good path, you seem to be spending enough time with the Fool Proof method, now you just need to keep it up for a while.
    The Fool Proof is not about having seen all the game boards possible, it's about practicing enough that the mechanics of setting up a board and looking for key inferences become internalized. You don't have to think about "how do I represent "if A or B are in C is out?" anymore, and you are able to intuitively know that if A is before B then A can't be last without having to write it down anymore. And because the mechanics are automatic, it frees up time and mental energy to think about the more complex aspects of the games. It's like playing an instrument - no amount of reading about how to play the violin or watching a master playing it can substitute for practice. You don't have to have played every single musical piece available, but you have to have practiced lots of them for a long time to be able to attack a new one with skill and confidence.
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    @Pacifico is probably going to be able to give you the best advice on this, but I did want to throw this out there. If there is a particular type of game you are struggling with or a particular difficulty level, you could always pull those type up in the question bank and practice drilling those. Another option that I tried to do before the Dec exam but didn't manage to get through all of them, is googling the historically most difficult LGs and drill those. Good luck with your studies.
  • allan.koganallan.kogan Member
    edited January 2016 64 karma
    @Sheri123 @Pacifico (And also for people with prior game knowledge but still struggle, I would like to help you guys out, because the 7Sage community has only helped me boost my confidence every single day, even when times are tough) What I have noticed just doing this the past two days is just doing the games from exams 1-35 (so far went through the first couple of exams), and already my ability to make inferences is better. I personally believe that drilling the same type of game in one given day, or just doing that in general for a period of time is unrealistic and does not help with game improvement at least not for me. I can only speak for myself that just doing the logic game bundles from each exam is helpful (because I have had prior experience of diagramming rules, making inferences from a previous prep course. Another golden rule I picked up on was memorizing the rules). Memorizing the rules may take a bit longer just by having to read them over a few times, but it only does good. Simplistic diagramming is also very benefitial. From my own personal experience I think seeing the games within a given exam gives you a better sense of strategy, time management, and eases the nerves because usually only 2 out of the 4 are particularly challenging within an exam. LSAC is trying to trick you of course, but in order to see that being able to do all the games within a given exam is possible, then you have to actually look at game sections from actual tests. This is just my strategy which I have noticed has begun to help. The biggest thing with games that I have learned is that everyone should have their own little nuances and strategies which will help with solving a game. The bigger picture of course is that we all get to a positive end result, but lets be realistic we all will have a slight deviation in methodology and that is OK, as long as we are efficient and try to apply as much as we can from JYs explanations.
  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    @Pacifico thank you for taking the time to write this.
  • rachelrachel Alum Member
    207 karma
    @Pacifico I'm starting to drill LGs now, and really like your approach. Thank you for sharing. Would you mind sending me your excel template for tracking purposes? thanks! I'll send you my email in PM.
  • bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    bump :)
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    People have been asking about LG, so bumping this to the top!
  • steve-10steve-10 Alum Member
    192 karma
    In comparing @Pacifico 's M.O. ("PMO") with JY's Foolproof Method ("FM") it seems to me that they're substantially different, and that PMO is not merely a very slight tweak of FM.

FM scores the game and watches the explanation immediately, with the purpose of memorizing inferences. PMO does a blind review before scoring and watching.

FM repeats indefinitely as necessary until mastery; then repeats once the next day. PMO repeats only once on the same day, then once the next day, then once a week later. PMO assumes mastery within those four attempts over a week -- not unreasonable, but maybe not applicable to everyone.

PMO's use of blind review seems to me a critical difference; and JY's emphasizes memorizing inferences while that is at most only implicit in the description of PMO.

I'm posting this to solicit suggestions as to what criteria to use in choosing between these two methods.
  • dcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdc Alum Member
    382 karma
    I've added in a blind review of the games before watching the videos and I find that it is helpful to work through and struggle with the game. I think that BR is a more deliberate way of memorizing the inferences per J.Y.'s approach.
  • steve-10steve-10 Alum Member
    192 karma
    @dcdcdcdcdc but then during the BR you have only the inferences you're able to make and not any additional ones that JY makes, so during BR you won't be memorizing the latter, right?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"steve-1" said:
    In comparing @Pacifico 's M.O. ("PMO") with JY's Foolproof Method ("FM") it seems to me that they're substantially different, and that PMO is not merely a very slight tweak of FM.
    Seems like a pretty slight tweak to me, lol. However, I think Pacifico's is more streamlined and for someone who may not have all the time in the world to go through games. That said, the underlying idea behind the fool-proof method remains. Also, I don't think he is assuming mastery; I just think it's self explanatory that if you need more than 4 attempts, you'll just do it until you get it. I don't think anyone is going to give up if they don't master it within 4 attempts, haha. I suppose it could use some clarifying though.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @"steve-1" said:
    But then during the BR you have only the inferences you're able to make and not any additional ones that JY makes, so during BR you won't be memorizing the latter, right?
    I used Pacifico's method - I read it as - you actually do the LG twice on the 1st day take & BR, watch video, then Retake right after the video to implement the inferences learned.
    @Pacifico said:
    After recording the data on the sticky note and transferring it to my spreadsheet I watch JY's video explanation and go over the game and then I put that LG in the back of the document protector it came from behind the clean LGs and take out the second copy. I then make my second attempt, timing myself, doing my BR, recording all data, and then rewatching the video if necessary. I then make my third attempt the next day