Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question/passage difficulty

petitigrepetitigre Member
in General 227 karma
I'm not sure what to search to find the answer to this, but I was curious how question and passage difficulty were determined by 7Sage? Is it by the percentage of people who answer correctly?

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    As far as I know, all of the difficulty ratings in the analytics are based off of the data from 7Sage users being pushed through 7Sage's algorithms for ranking difficulty. @"Dillon A. Wright" might be able to shed some more light on this, unless it's supposed to be super secret. It would make sense to me since you can see the difference in difficulty reflected in the percentages of people choosing certain answers. It would also explain why I don't consistently agree with the rankings of difficulty.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Pacifico's correct.
  • petitigrepetitigre Member
    227 karma
    @Pacifico Heh, yes, I often get the "easiest" questions wrong and the "hardest" questions right.
  • angelleungangelleung Free Trial Member
    32 karma
    In this case, how can I properly analyze the questions I get wrong? How do I know whether I'm lacking fundamental understanding of the question (type) or it's just an 'objectively' hard question? There are always a select few that don't jibe with me - probably due to my misinterpreting or overthinking certain aspects of it (which I got used to after tackling the 'harder', latter questions within a section).
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    If you're lacking fundamental understanding of a question type then you will get several of those type wrong. This is where the trends portion of the analytics can be very helpful. Also, in the video explanations JY usually highlights if a question is a curvebreaker or is really difficult. Plus if you look at the percentage of people who got it wrong it's a pretty good indicator of the difficulty. There are some questions where a plurality or majority of people chose the wrong answer which is a pretty good indicator of a curvebreaker. There will pretty much always be a few questions that don't jive with you and that's just a bit of luck of the draw since you might just read something in a different way or interpreted something with two meanings in the way they weren't looking for and there really isn't too much you can do about that except finish early and give things a second or third look.