Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Book Recommendations?

Hey Everyone,
I remember someone on TLS who recommended reading Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything" and it was not only fantastic but also helped me get acquainted with different topics in the sciences. Looking for a BOOK suggestion related to humanities/law that I can read in my spare time. Thanks!

Comments

• c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    "The Great Dissent: How Oliver Wendell Holmes Changed His Mind--and Changed the History of Free Speech in America"

http://www.amazon.com/The-Great-Dissent-Wendell-Mind/dp/0805094563

Also available in Kindle version. Insight into how the concept of free speech came to be and into the mind of Justice Holmes. His prose and logic are both beautiful and fierce. Give it a try!
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    edited September 2015 1654 karma
    I recommend that everyone who is interested in BigLaw purchase this book. You can buy it for $.01 + shipping on Amazon.
    Lions in the Street: The Inside Story of the Great Wall Street Law Firms
    Back cover-
    "The Brahmins of the Bar rarely see the inside of a courtroom, and their knowledge of criminal cases is confined to movies and mystery novels....Their clients are the Fortune 500 corporations, the commercial banks and investment houses, foreign governments and an occasional multimillionaire who needs a will drafted or a wife divorced--those willing to pay $250 an hour and up for expert advice, those able to shell out hundreds of dollars in annual retainers....
    A word from Sullivan & Cromwell, and a giant corporation is plunged into bankruptcy. A memo from Mudge Rose, and a state government gets the go-ahead to float a multimillion-dollar bond issue. A letter from Davis Polk, and the government backs down on a major antitrust case. A brief from Cravath, and a cherished government program is cut down by the courts."
    --from Lions in the Street
    http://www.amazon.com/Lions-street-inside-story-Street/dp/0841502358
    @nicole.hopkins
    @Pacifico
    @Alejandro
    @eugene.chong
    @c.janson35
  • StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
    821 karma
    Thanks @c.janson35 @alexandergreene93, really appreciate the recommendations. Just bought both books!
  • legally_chelslegally_chels Alum Member
    206 karma
    Hey there! I actually just subscribed to "The Economist" magazine. They have an offer right now 3months for only $15. I read all over on TLS that many people suggest subscribing to their magazine because the articles are the kind of dull material you would find on the LSAT. Hope this helps :)
  • Gladiator_2017Gladiator_2017 Yearly Member
    1332 karma
    Thanks for posting this! I just purchased "A short history of nearly everything" and can't wait to read it.

I've been reading some books to help keep me centered. They're quick reads (2-3 days at most). I just finished "You are Here" written by the monk Thich Nhat Hand and The Alchemist, Pablo Coelho. I'm thinking of alternating my book section based on books to help get me aquanited with different topics and then some books that help keep me focused during this LSAT journey and life.