Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Studying for the OCTOBER LSAT?

DDDD Free Trial Member
edited May 2013 in October 2013 LSAT 71 karma
Is anyone else studying for the October LSAT?

Comments

• Amir ShakoorianAmir Shakoorian Free Trial Member
    57 karma
    Hi DD. I'm strudying for the October LSAT.
  • QQ Free Trial Member
    7 karma
    Hi Everyone. Count me in.
  • rsabanrsaban Free Trial Member
    2 karma
    Same! Using RC sections from PTs A-C this week for drilling. Hopefully I can move on to timing full RC sections by this weekend...
  • vashtibuckvashtibuck Alum Member
    8 karma
    Me too! I've been researching different online lsat options and I think this one is the one for me.
  • Bret CypelBret Cypel Alum Member
    edited May 2013 122 karma
    I've been studying since December. I was going to do June, but I am not ready. Hopefully, I'll be ready for the October LSAT.
  • DDDD Free Trial Member
    71 karma
    So glad to see your responses! I am still in the beginning stages of doing the 7Sage lessons. How far along are you?
  • JRRLDG808JRRLDG808 Alum Member
    49 karma
    I have been studying since February. Self studied at first but registered with 7Sage a little over a month ago.
    57 karma
    I began in February but have been working on the 7Sage course since April. I'm a bit over 50% of the course.
  • James DeanJames Dean Free Trial Member
    297 karma
    I am also taking the LSAT this October. I started self-studying in March, and I've been part of the 7sage family for around 1 month (currently 50% into the material). I'm using other material in addition to the 7sage, however, this is the only course that I will be taking.
  • DDDD Free Trial Member
    71 karma
    So Jerrald you and I are probably closer to doing the same lessons on 7sage. Amir you are way ahead. I know from previous studies and what J.Y. often emphasizes during various lessons is the importance of teaching or verbalizing different concepts to reinforce the learning that we have had. Is there a way that we can do that with each other? Or is it best to wait until we have started doing the Prep Tests? This test is so important. I just want us to maximize whatever sources we have to do exceptionally well. In October.
  • DDDD Free Trial Member
    71 karma
    @James Dean hey, have you started doing Prep Tests yet?
    122 karma
    I finished the entire 7sage curriculum a couple of months ago, and have been doing about 1 practice test a week since. I have decided to re-take the Logic lessons. I have also bought a book on Logic that I have been reading whenever I haven't been studying, and a book entitled Law 101. lol.
  • Alan Cheuk-2Alan Cheuk-2 Administrator
    3074 karma
    Law 101 is fantastic - I wish I read that before law school!
  • DDDD Free Trial Member
    71 karma
    Ok I will get that for myself.
    @Bret Cypel That was my initial plan to start studying in advance so that if I find something I am weak on I can revisit and solidify that material in my mind. I tried studying for LSAT while in last semester of undergrad and it didn't quite work out as planned.
    122 karma
    @DD
    Yeah, I couldn't imagine studying for the LSAT during my senior year of undergrad. I was just doing way too much. Now, I work full-time and studying on the nights and weekends, which is still pretty difficult. Every now and then I just have to take a break and have some fun. But most days, I work, study, sleep, repeat.

I've taken 5 LSATs so far, and my highest timed score is a 157 :\.

My highest BR is a 169.

I would like to get my timed score into the 170's. We'll see. This material was all new to me, so I hope with a lot of study, I will improve dramatically.

@Alan C
    Haha, awesome. The law professor that wrote is teaches at Rutgers, my home state's university.

It's a good read. Right now , I am only on page 60.
  • DDDD Free Trial Member
    71 karma
    @Bret Cypel
    I haven't taken any PTs yet. When I do and if I am not completely embarrassed I will share my scores with you too. Your persistence has inspired me. I am even more motivated. Thanks so much for sharing.
    edited July 2013 297 karma
    @DD ,

I have not taken a PT. I feel that I need to begin that soon. As you've stated, I'm almost scared to see what will happen, however, I've realized that, when studying, "failure" can be a good thing, if you're patient and learn a lesson in each mistake. So I'm going to be courageous (insert laughter for my true but dramatic effect).

• DDDD Free Trial Member
    71 karma
    @James Dean

Wow! Thanks for sharing! I will definitely look for those books on Amazon or at the Library if they have them. I bought the LG and LR Bibles but haven't open them yet. I intend to look at them over the weekend.

Did you see the book that @Bret Cypel is reading, law 101? I would like to get that as well.

I have a bunch of NY Times papers that I want to read to help with RC, but I have heard the Economist is great so will look into that too.

You are absolutely right about the appropriate perspective to have with 'failure'. It's so challenging though, but learning the lesson makes it very much worth it.

Lol to the dramatic effect :)
    edited July 2013 297 karma
    @DD

Yes, I ordered it from Amazon… I’m adding it to my 'nerd' collection.
  • DDDD Free Trial Member
    71 karma
    @James Dean

LOL! to 0L year :) Definitely let me know about the 180watch and for my address I believe I can send you a private message.
  • daltonturnerdaltonturner Free Trial Member
    11 karma
    Studying for the October test as well... just started with 7sage almost 2 weeks ago and about 20% through the course. I haven't taken another PT since my original diagnostic (wrote it with absolutely no prior LSAT knowledge) but can anyone share your initial diagnostic scores and how much you have improved since then. Im trying to break into the upper 160's and my initial diag definately was an eye opener as to how much I need to learn to reach such an objective. Looking for some positive reinforcement from someone who has been in almost the same situation!
  • DDDD Free Trial Member
    71 karma
    @daltonturner,

I haven't taken any PTs since the diagnostic because I'm still doing lessons, so technically I can't say how much I have improved. However, I do feel like I have improved with all that I'm learning through 7sage.

When I took the diagnostic I also did it without any prior LSAT knowledge. I wouldn't feel comfortable sharing that particular score with you as I would first like to show that I have drastically improved via 7sage :) In that way, it will serve somewhat as a positive reinforcement :)
  • lozanojosephlozanojoseph Alum Member
    12 karma
    im taking it in oct! just got the 7sage ultimate course
  • Mark TenorioMark Tenorio Free Trial Member
    edited June 2013 299 karma
    Hey everyone,

You can click on the persons name and "PM" them. This is a good way to start google hangouts/ skype if you feel hesitant about sharing your personal info/email publicly. This is how me and a couple other 7sagers got to do BR over GH, by PMing each other through here.
  • Nevill WilderNevill Wilder Free Trial Member
    19 karma
    Hey guys,
    I was going to take the June test, but a blown knee put me on the sidelines. I'm currently 75% through the course, and am planning on getting all of the lessons done within the next week. After that I will start doing PT's on at least a weekly basis. Really I'll take them as quickly as I can BR and Full Proof them. Here we go!
    297 karma
    @Nevill Wilder ,

Sorry to hear about your injurry. Best of luck with your recovery and studies.

@DD , 0L? it is a real thing (haha). I have a year to prepare myself for 1L... My intent is to make it less of a hell than people claim it to be.
  • JoJo Free Trial Member
    13 karma
    I'm taking the October test too. I was registered for June, started studying on my own in February and in April realized that I wasn't going to be able to do enough full length practice tests before June. So I regrouped, and started 7 Sage at end of April. I'm about 55% through. Feel like I have a way better handle on the question types and really wish I had of just started with them (especially since I bought so many books and tests that are included in 7Sage's cost).
    I plan to finish the 7Sage lessons by the end of June so that I can do 2 prep tests a week (with blind review, naturally) from July to the October test.
  • Sahng-Ah YooSahng-Ah Yoo Free Trial Member
    25 karma
    Has anyone here bought/used the 180watch? I'm wondering if it's worth getting...
    edited June 2013 299 karma
    @Sahng-Ah Yoo

I wouldn't get that. I read reviews that it breaks down easily. Get a watch with a bezel.

I'm not advocating you get the watch in the video (the tissot is like $1500 I think) but a simple plastic casio with a bezel would do just fine which is like $10-$15)

297 karma
    @Sahng-Ah Yoo

I purchased a 180watch... I will post my 'review' once it arrives. I have a Seiko that I use, but I figured if the 180watch does work, then it would be worth the $50, and I can sell it to a friend for 30ish after my LSAT.
    57 karma
    I think you can find it for less than $50. I was going to buy this one which is $25 but has mixed reviews:
    http://www.amazon.com/LSATTimer-Analog-Watch-LSAT-Prep/dp/B006A9SCU0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370480448&sr=8-1&keywords=lsat+watch
    299 karma
    @Amir

That's why I was hesitant to get those lol. Who knows? I might have received the faulty one.
  • YZYZ Free Trial Member
    37 karma
    Hi all, i was about to take the June one, but my score kind stuck around 165, so i decided to take Oct, my weakness is def science passage, and logic reasoning. But i think with practices, my LR improves a lot!
  • YZYZ Free Trial Member
    37 karma
    Here is a few my reading recommendation, i find my logic improved a lot after reading Kant and a few other German philosophers, you should try some english books, i am currently reading Middlemarch, excellent read. Also i would suggest reading new york times book review section, i find it very similar to RC. I hope this helps.
    edited June 2013 297 karma
    @Amir,

I heard bad things about the analog LSAT watch, but I heard a few good personal reviews about the 180watch- they are disparate watches.

Again, I'll let you know. hahaha fingers crossed.

@YZ,

I also started reading Kant, as well as, Nietzsche (a personal favorite of mine). Good recommendations.
  • YZYZ Free Trial Member
    37 karma
    @James

I love Nietzsche too, i enjoyed reading beyond good and evil:)
  • CJ ShinCJ Shin Free Trial Member
    302 karma
    guys PT is the key!
    Make sure to do them AND review as many of them as possible!!
    297 karma
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    13940 karma
    @James, thank you for making this! :)
  • Kyle JanzenKyle Janzen Free Trial Member
    17 karma
    Hello!

I will also be preparing for October. I've been with 7Sage since last November and was planning to write in June, but couldn't due to work.
  • DDDD Free Trial Member
    71 karma
    @James Dean, thanks for your post :)
  • Doctor WhoDoctor Who Free Trial Member
    39 karma
    hey everyone, anyone in boston/cambridge area taking the test this october?
  • elaine celaine c Free Trial Member
    3 karma
    Hi Wu12345, I'll be in the Cambridge, MA area beginning next week through Aug, also studying for the Oct test.
  • K SK S Free Trial Member
    86 karma
    I am in the boston area if anyone is around I would love to start a group
  • Lia LiuLia Liu Free Trial Member
    13 karma
    I'm also taking the October test. Self-studying didn't work, kept scoring around 155 and never improved. Found 7Sage in early June.
  • bbkkbbkk Free Trial Member
    2 karma
    Hey everyone, I'm also taking the Oct test (took the June test but cancelled). Anyone in the Toronto area wanna study together?
  • Auran BucklesAuran Buckles Free Trial Member
    34 karma
    Hi everyone, I am taking the test in Oct as well. I've been reading through books and textbooks for the past month, but only just started my lessons on 7sage.

If anyone is interested, some books I would recommend are
    A Rulebook for Arguments by Anthony Weston, and
    Logic Made Easy by Deborah J. Bennett.

The Informal Logic by Douglas Walton (mentioned earlier) is also a great book. The concepts and terminologies in these books do appear in the LSATs, and they guide you through the concepts pretty smoothly so it wasn't difficult to understand at all.
  • Brian GoldsworthyBrian Goldsworthy Free Trial Member
    11 karma
    In for October as well - in the Toronto area - FWIW
  • grauplusgrauplus Free Trial Member
    9 karma
    Do you think is possible to start now at the end of june and be able for taking the LSAT in October?
  • steven appelbaumsteven appelbaum Free Trial Member
    45 karma
    Same question as grauplus. I plan on dedicating a significant of time but I work and am aiming for a 170+. Is this too much to assume to achieve by the October deadline?