Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many pts a week do you high scorers advise?

lpadr009lpadr009 Free Trial Member
edited September 2015 in General 379 karma
i have done 10pts in total and im taking LSAT in october and december.
currently plateaud at 155

Comments

• brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    2 or possibly 3 if you can swing it. BR has to be thorough or it's wasted time. Good luck!
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    I take two PTs a week and take times sections on off days. I think you should take 3 at the very most. More PTs does not always equate to a higher score. Quality>quantity.
  • lpadr009lpadr009 Free Trial Member
    379 karma
    @brna0714 @alexandergreene93 you two are probably very right. I am going to be honest, I dont think i BR correctly :/
  • Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma
    I am doing 3 a week, but I take 2 days to BR (very deep BR using an unmarked new test) since I have seen many of the questions before. I do 5 section tests (the additional section of games is always my last section, and I use the games sections from PT 1-35). I get done with the test at around noon, I BR both game sections and the RC (which takes until about 5 or 6 PM). The next day, I review the LR (I am pretty liberal with ones I mark since I have done a lot of the problems already, so I tend to over circle just for the practice), and I type out my responses in the question video comments. I start at like 9-10 AM, and I am usually done at around 5. Rinse and repeat. Sunday I take the day off (sometimes I might glance at some earlier lessons from the syllabus for an hour or two).
    379 karma
    WOWWWWWWWWWW!! no woner im not scoring very high. my routine is not as epic as yours *copies routine- becomes lsat master*
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited September 2015 7965 karma
    @"Accounts Playable" said:
    I am doing 3 a week, but I take 2 days to BR (very deep BR using an unmarked new test) since I have seen many of the questions before.
    If you can do this, that's great. With the possible burn out warning. And I don't see any days off mentioned in there. Whoops, just saw Sundays off. I very deliberately take 2 days off per week and don't sacrifice them. If you're in this for the long haul, rest is indispensable.

And of course, this does not sound like the schedule of someone who works full time :)

2 PT's a week with 3 as a hard maximum. And I'd tell more people than not to can the 3rd PT most weeks, especially if they're all fresh tests (not retakes). Speaking from experience, as I did 3-a-weeks for about 3 months solid and many 2-a-week weeks otherwise.
    379 karma
    thanks @nicole.hopkins so you experienced burn out from doing 3 a week? i def dont want that (i think i already went thru that in august and it was not pretty)
  • leonsmoneyleonsmoney Member
    edited September 2015 280 karma
    I'm doing two a week, Wednesday/Saturday. I BR the day after Thur/Sun During the week I drill LG games because those are my weak spot. I'm lucky to have a job that allows me to study at work. I thought I had plateaued at 161 (perhaps I had) but I kept pushing and making sure when I BR, I understand why the right answer is right and why my answer was wrong. Last 4 PTs have been 164, 167, 164, 164, so I think I may have busted through my plateau. The 164 yesterday was on PT 59 with -8 on LG :( I read a rule wrong on the first game, realized it on question 5, then started back from scratch which caused me to rush like crazy and still not finish the last question of the section. Luckily LR and RC are my strong points (weird I know) went -3 on RC. My point in all this is, keep PTing and BRing, In the last two weeks, I've made gains, and there is still 3.5 weeks left. Good Luck!
    7965 karma
    @lpadr009 said:
    you experienced burn out from doing 3 a week?
    Hell yeah! Ended up taking 5-7 day mini breaks before finally taking the last 2 weeks of August off. Verdict? Everyone should take breaks if they're working hard. And yes, 3 a week, every week, for a long time ... Recipe for burn out. It's fine for a few weeks now and again but honestly, less is more when it comes to marathon training like this.
  • How many PTs should I buy for the course? I'm ready to start the course but I'm skeptical on if 38 prep exams are too many? What is a good number of PTs to have taken to prepare for the real exam? I'm really confused!
    7965 karma
    @kvanbeverhoudt said:
    What is a good number of PTs to have taken to prepare for the real exam?
    36–76 (assuming you're taking in December or later). No, that's not too many.
    1489 karma
    @kvanbeverhoudt said:
    What is a good number of PTs to have taken to prepare for the real exam?
    As many as you can manage and still complete the blind review process.
    edited September 2015 1489 karma
    Spaced out to avoid burn out, of course.
  • Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    edited September 2015 3107 karma
    @kvanbeverhoudt

It depends on the person. There are 79 (I think) total LSAT exams available. Some people get the score they want with 10 or less while others do 50+. My advice is don't focus too much on the absolute number of exams you take, but instead, focus on how you take them. You can take every available exam, but if you don't have the basics down, you aren't going to get a huge benefit. To answer your question, though, I think most people here hover around the 20-30ish range. Personally, I need to practice endurance and timing, so I intend to take as many exams as possible, and do a deep BR after.
    edited September 2015 7965 karma
    @"Accounts Playable" said:
    I think most people here hover around the 20-30ish range
    A good number of us are 50+ (including retakes)
    edited September 2015 1654 karma
    I am a strong advocator for doing as many PTs as possible. Granted, you should not overdo it and attempt to cram them all in. Rather, you should make sure to do a thorough BR after every PT. So far I have taken 1-70, 72, A, B, C, and the 4 Indian LSATs, which can be found on Cambridge's website. I am taking the test from Superprep 2 tomorrow, and I will be taking 71, 73-75 in the three weeks leading up to the exam. I don't think my score would have improved so drastically (almost 30 points) if I wasn't so diligent about taking so many PTs (78) and doing a thorough blind review afterwards. I urge all of you to do the same.
    @nicole.hopkins
    @"Accounts Playable"
    @brna0714
    @kvanbeverhoudt
    @leonsmoney
    @lpadr009
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    It all depends on the amount of free time you have versus how much time you must dedicate to other commitments. It also depends on how stressful taking PTs is for you. If you have unlimited time and PTs are enjoyable for you then I would say 5 would be the absolute maximum I would ever do in a week. But this scenario applies to pretty much nobody so for 99% of people I would say 1-3 per week with 1-2 days off is the best route. Now 1 per week is not going to help you for October, but 1-2 per week for December may well be enough for you. Just get to work and take it when you're ready, not when you feel some other pressure to take it.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    It also depends on where you're at in your prep, so taking three tests a week may not be a lot at all for you, especially if you're taking the remaining days in the week off from LSAT completely.
    379 karma
    @alexandergreene93 are the Indian lsat the same format as the MURICAN Lsats? I didn't even know about these. Now I want to buy some
    1654 karma
    @lpadr009
    Here's the link: https://www.cambridgelsat.com/resources/free-downloads/logic-games-practice/
    The exam is easier than the U.S. exams
    7965 karma
    @alexandergreene93 said:
    The exam is easier than the U.S. exams
    Why bother ^_^;;;
  • odebs2797odebs2797 Alum Member
    136 karma
    You don't HAVE to use such an elaborate BR method. I take a PT every other day, and BR later that day, and then review it every other day and read a chapter of the LSAT Trainer. My BR usually takes about 1-2 hours, usually 1.5 hours. I have taken 13 PTs with 7sage so far and I am averaging a 165. I am not saying do not do an elaborate BR method, but don't freak out because you are not. I am not, and I am scoring exactly where I want to. Hope this helps.
    379 karma
    @odebs2797 thank you!! :)
    8021 karma
    Indian LSATs are for hipsters...
  • psbrathwaitepsbrathwaite Member
    207 karma
    I don't know how people take 3-5 pt's a week. You can blind review and go over everything you got wrong successfully in one or two days, take another PT, repeat, and not burn out? What type of job/school do you do -- maybe I need to find some sort of outlet because my mind simply cannot do that much without burning out -- even body fatigue will set in.
  • vtlvtl Member
    103 karma
    @psbrathwaite said:
    I don't know how people take 3-5 pt's a week. You can blind review and go over everything you got wrong successfully in one or two days, take another PT, repeat, and not burn out? What type of job/school do you do -- maybe I need to find some sort of outlet because my mind simply cannot do that much without burning out -- even body fatigue will set in.
    One thing is how well you can manage stress. It's a skill in itself that'll improve if you're work on it. Some food of thought on this point: http://www.ted.com/talks/kelly_mcgonigal_how_to_make_stress_your_friend

Second, BR takes less time as you get better at the LSAT. The reason for this is because as you improve you'll find yourself circling less questions for BR, and missing less questions, therefore you're doing less and less questions during BR.

Third, I'm a believer in exercise. It doesn't have to be super intense or long workout.
    7965 karma
    @psbrathwaite said:
    What type of job/school do you do
    Methinks they don't do either of these things.
    7965 karma
    As the resident super-prepper who works full time and still, like, talks to people and doesn't live in a hole, I would regard anyone claiming to work full time and take more than 3 full PT's a week with unapologetic skepticism.
  • psbrathwaitepsbrathwaite Member
    207 karma
    @nicole.hopkins lol @ "methinks" -- funny word, thanks for the laugh :D, @vtl going to watch that..thank you
    8021 karma
    If I didn't have to keep my finger in my three week old's mouth through entire RC sections then I would have no problem taking 5 PTs a week or more, even when I was working 60+ hour weeks. Compared to the Army and being a stay at home dad, taking a PT is fairly relaxing to me and I do enjoy testing in general....
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    If I didn't have to keep my finger in my three week old's mouth through entire RC sections
    pics or it didn't happen
  • leonsmoneyleonsmoney Member
    edited September 2015 280 karma
    ^^LOL 3 weeks left. I'm planning on taking 5 more PTs. Was going to do 6 but like the idea of not doing one a couple days before game day, so i'll just drill LG a couple days before. Good luck to all!