Evaluator?

brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
edited September 2015 in General 1489 karma
Hey, folks,

I'm working on getting my application materials in anticipation of my October retake score and I've run across something on LSAC's website that I am not familiar with.

Can anybody give me more information about this "evaluator" business? It looks like you have the option to designate references as either recommenders, evaluators or both and that the evaluator option includes some sort of questionnaire.

I know that requirements vary but are these evaluations generally requested by schools? Should they be submitted even if not required by the law school?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Do you know, @Pacifico ? You're generally our admissions expert.

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @brna0714 said:
    Can anybody give me more information about this "evaluator" business?
    @Pacifico told me Evals are a joke.
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited September 2015 1489 karma
    Okay. Only mess with letters of recommendation then?

Thanks, @nicole.hopkins.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @brna0714 said:
    Only mess with letters of recommendation then?
    @Pacifico any benefit to evals, ever?
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Not really... Evals are pretty much bullshit so don't waste your time. A half decent LOR is always better than even an eval with top ratings across the board. Plus LORs are required while Evals are not so its just some extra garbage that you're forcing the adcoms to read and it's not adding anything that wouldn't already be in your app so it could end up hurting you if it pissed off an adcom. Just because LSAC offers something doesn't mean you should take advantage.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    Many schools don't even require evals in a addition to LORs even though there's the option to submit them on LSAC. In any case, if a school is requiring them I would just send an email to your recommenders asking if they would fill the eval out for you. I think it's basically a short survey that shouldn't take much time at all.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I haven't come across a single school that actually requires them, have you?