Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unfocused (discussion titles aren't my talent)

sarkisp23sarkisp23 Alum Member
in General 374 karma
The past two days I've been doing LR and have been doing very poorly. I usually get 3--5 wrong per LR section, but yesterday I got 9 wrong... Today, I'm in the library studying and could not focus during an LR section. I just stopped myself at question 17 and now I'm sitting outside eating a cupcake lol. It's a pretty good cupcake though (chocolate with chocolate chips). No milk on hand unfortunately. Anyway, I marked the 17 questions and got 4 wrong. But I took 26 minutes to get there. I don't feel like doing this right now. And the funny thing is, I always feel like it. Even when I don't, I just say fuckit and do it anyway.

I feel pretty discouraged and yeah I've been at this for like 7 months while working. I didn't sleep well last night, although I don't feel tired right now (freezing shower plus exercise plus caffeine). The area I'm sitting in could perhaps be slightly less distracting as well. I don't know. I'm just babbling. Rambling? I never complain about anything. And I'm not complaining now, but I know my 7Sage friends always have valuable input. Someone come punch me in the face please lol.

I think the discouragement from last night plus slight sleep deprivation plus perhapsssss a tad bit of burnout has caused this but I don't know. I just wanted to write this because you are the only other people that know what I mean. There is an unstated conclusion in here somewhere. And no, I didn't edit this lol

Comments

• bSM45LSATbSM45LSAT Member
    522 karma
    I know how you feel. I'm personally dreading every time I have to write a PT now. I've only done 21, but like it seems like the same old thing, and I REALLY have to make the effort to go write one.

I just want Oct to come and to be done with the LSAT. I really think I can achieve the goal I'm aiming for!
  • legally_chelslegally_chels Alum Member
    206 karma
    Aww cheer up! What I did to help motivate myself more is set up my laptop background to a Harvard Law School background. Now all I wanna do is study :P Of course, you have to push yourself to do it. I totally understand. Preptests get boring after awhile. What LSAT are you taking? Oct, Dec or Feb? If anything, I believe you are experiencing burnout right now. That can make you feel completely discouraged and unmotivated. I would recommend maybe taking 2 or 3 days off and focusing on YOURSELF! Just do things you like and stay far away from anything LSAT related as possible. This could help recharge you and help you perform at your very best! :)
  • Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    edited September 2015 1294 karma
    Kind of seems like burn out and a lack of sleep lol. Maybe take a day or two off and don't do anything lsat related. I know it kind of gets dreadful sometimes when you know you have to take another PT, or drill another section, but I keep myself motivated by setting benchmarks in terms of how many I get wrong per section, and I try to reduce the rate of error every test. For some odd reason, setting goals like this makes me go into a PT excited to try and beat my previous score, or outperform myself in certain sections.

Keep your head up though! Depending on when you're taking the administered exam, you'll never have to think about the LSAT, ever again.
  • sarkisp23sarkisp23 Alum Member
    374 karma
    Thank you Chelsea and Matt :) (Yes, you guys are on first-name basis with me now lol). I know you both said to take some a few days off, but I'm happy to report I went to the gym to just focus elsewhere for a bit, then afterwards wrote another fresh LR section and got 20/25. BR was 21/25 :)

@Matt1234567 Yeah you know what I try to do that as much as I can as well. It's sort of like beating a high score in a game lol. I'm glad I'm not the only weirdo around here haha. And you're right as soon as it's done that's it, but I am trying to enjoy the process. Being overly competitive helps keep me going like I wanna beat the test

@chelsea.bashi Honestly thank you for that. I used to have a couple post-it notes taped to my desk saying "Get into university!" and that definitely worked for me (yes, we call it university in Canada lol). So I think if you are seeing those words written down everyday, you're reinforcing it in your subconscious. Like that book "think and grow rich" by napoleon hill. I And I'm writing in Oct by the way, so taking time off is kind of difficult. Worst case scenario I'll write it in December if I need to but I just need to get started on law school already. I need that yacht haha
    206 karma
    Hahahah I hear you on that!!!!! That's why i'm writing in December. If I wait any longer I won't be in law school sooner! And I haven't heard of that book but i'm going to look into it! Sounds pretty good. I'm glad to hear that you did well after taking some time off and going to the gym :) and yayyy first name basis :) but what is your name? haha
    374 karma
    @chelsea.bashi Check out "the alchemist" by Paulo Coelho while you're at it lol. And my name is Pani, unique name I know. I probably should have included my first name in my username too. I was named after some ancient Assyrian king who was supposedly a big deal so I guess that automatically makes me cool as well lol. You have some extensive historical research to do now haha
    206 karma
    Well it's nice to meet you Pani :)

And its funny that you mention that book! I almost picked it up the other day at B&N. I'll make sure to get it this week. And wow. Must be cool to have a name with some ancient history lesson attached to it lol. I'll look that up!
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    100% classic burnout.

Take

A

BREAK

and eat extra cupcakes.

I prescribe at least a week long strict no-LSAT break for you.
    374 karma
    @chelsea.bashi It's a sign you have to get it now. I'll allow you to thank me later lol

@nicole.hopkins Honestly, I would love to take a week off, but I'm writing in Oct. Did take a day and that helped. And if I eat extra cupcakes I won't have abs sadly :( Those are crucial for sitting and writing a long test
  • KimberlyKKimberlyK Alum Member
    217 karma
    @sarkisp23 said:
    I would love to take a week off, but I'm writing in Oct
    All the more reason to get in a good break now. You need time to recover and refocus. Sleep for a day or three and get back at it. If you don't take care of your mental health you'll be a basket case for the exam in October. I'm testing in October as well and the pressure is overwhelming. We'll get through it!!!! Now get in some days of rest AND don't beat yourself up all day about what you "should" be doing. You need rest.
    374 karma
    LOL a day or three @KimberlyK I will make an effort to do that you're right. And you'll smash that test in October as well don't worry
    7965 karma
    @sarkisp23 said:
    Those are crucial for sitting and writing a long test
    false
    7965 karma
    @sarkisp23 said:
    Honestly, I would love to take a week off, but I'm writing in Oct.
    Then allow me to rephrase. Take a break *immediately.* Do you want to take the test burned out? Nooooooo ... So, why are you assuming you won't be if you don't listen to the messages you are sending yourself now by these feelings of lack of focus?