Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading on tls that some high scorers...

lpadr009lpadr009 Free Trial Member
in General 379 karma
Take a pt everday for like 5-6 consecutive days.
Also others take TWO pts a day.
I really need soemthing different in my routine since I'm noticing NO PROGRESS despite all my studying. Has anyone done something slightly extreme like this?
Also there's this guy on yt who teaches lsat prep and he said he took 2 a day as well!!

Comments

• c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    You can't brute force progress. Taking 2 tests a day seems like a recipe for disaster as studying is going to become a miserable burden in your day, every day, until you lose all motivation to do it.
  • bSM45LSATbSM45LSAT Member
    522 karma
    This is a horrible idea. You will burn out incredibly fast.

Hell I was taking 3 PTs a week, and even then I thought I felt burnt, and more importantly I wasn't getting sufficient time to BR my answers, where the actual GAINS are made.

• GordonBombayGordonBombay Alum Member
    456 karma
    You can give it a try and see if it works for you, but I think you're risking getting burnt out. If you plan on taking October that sounds a little risky to me to risk getting burnt out so close to test day.
  • lpadr009lpadr009 Free Trial Member
    379 karma
    Do you guys think these ppl who take lots of pts close together don't get burnt out because they are used to it?
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @lpadr009 said:
    Do you guys think these ppl who take lots of pts close together don't get burnt out because they are used to it?
    Look. I'm used to it. @c.janson35 is used to it. He been PT'ing for a year. I've been PT'ing since March. So like, trust us when we say it's a stupid idea.
  • Andrew KAndrew K Member
    76 karma
    I know TLS has some good stuff on it. But there are also a lot of people on it who just aren't very serious about Law School/honest who exaggerate their scores, experiences, etc. and just plain old make up things. I generally just don't believe much I read on it. On the other hand, ppl here are pretty awesome so believe what they say!
    7965 karma
    @"Andrew K" said:
    But there are also a lot of people on it who just aren't very serious about Law School/honest who exaggerate their scores, experiences, etc. and just plain old make up things. I generally just don't believe much I read on it. On the other hand, ppl here are pretty awesome so believe what they say!
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    Agreed! I think people are lying consistently on those other boards. 7Sage discussion is the most reliable and honest forum community I have found. You get good advice here, without the ego bullshit that is so common elsewhere. No one here - including those who consistently score 170+ - is pretending they can dominate this test without sweat, blood, tears, and lots of time spread out over months and months. So stop listening to people who are either trolling or stoking their own egos. Put in the work, see what works for you in terms of pace for PTs, don't take shortcuts on BR, and accept the timeline you are on as you work toward the score you want.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited September 2015 7468 karma
    @lpadr009 said:
    Take a pt everday for like 5-6 consecutive days.
    Also others take TWO pts a day.
    Yeah, that seems like the equivalent of going to Crossfit on Monday, and doing 6 WODs per day each day for the entire week and expecting to be ripped by Sunday. The LSAT tests how you think, and if the way you think isn’t naturally sufficient to doing well on LSAT, it’s going to take a while to re-write the neural pathways required to make it so.

Sorry to be a buzzkill. Definitely keep trying because it is very much possible to improve; I’ve improved 20 points from my diagnostic(so far). But experience tells me that if the LSAT wasn’t already easy to you, it’s not going to suddenly become easy to you with some sort of “hack” like the ones TLS advocates. I think slow and steady will probably yield the best results.

Best of luck!
    7965 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    Yeah, that seems like the equivalent of going to Crossfit on Monday, and doing 6 WODs per day each day for the entire week and expecting to be ripped by Sunday.
    wait that was my plan tho...
    7965 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    I’ve improved 20 points from my diagnostic(so far).
    damn

oh me too btw!!!!
  • lsatblitzlsatblitz Alum Member
    521 karma
    Half the people on TLS are apparently PTing in the 178-179 range and are just looking for ways to break into a 180. Like everyone else said, take what you read from there with a grain of salt.

I will admit though, I went 5 days of straight PTing once. All it helped me with was building stamina to be able to sit still for a full practice test. My scores did not improve at all during that time.

People here aren't lying when they say BR sessions will help most in your improvement. PT one day, review it the next day (or two), drill if you find something you need to improve on, repeat the process.
  • LSATKingsmanLSATKingsman Alum Member
    1024 karma
    haha 2 pts a day. Get's better and better
  • Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma
    @lsatblitz

I think this hits the nail on the head. I take an exam every other day (with Sundays off), and I BR half the day I take the exam and the rest the following day. I think if you want to improve stamina and also improve your score, add a fifth section of games. You can never practice the games enough, so even if you have already seen those games before, it still is helpful.

Lastly, Top Law School forum blows. One of the best things I did while restudying for the LSAT was to not visit that site; it's just not helpful. I'll probably head over there once I am done with the LSAT completely in order to browse some of the law school application forums, but that's it.
    379 karma
    Wow thanks everyone. For some reason I thought tls was legit. Like why would someone lie about the number of pts they take? Lol but I guess you're all right. Trolls gonna troll
    7965 karma
    @lpadr009 said:
    For some reason I thought tls was legit.
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    edited September 2015 2116 karma
    to be totally fair, I used to be a megaposter on tls and most people DO NOT pt everyday for 5-6 days at a time. If you actually read through the study threads, most pt 3-4x a week as a lot of folks there are also in school/full-time jobs like you pplz.

But I do agree that TLS attracts a whole bunch of neurotic T-14-or-bust 0L's to the site.

From my own experience, I've been a bit MIA on the forums for my 3rd retake and it's doing wonders for my nerves and PT's in general. Got to find the right balance of LSAT exposure and a social life.
  • allergicallergic Alum Member Inactive Sage
    edited September 2015 246 karma
    I don't see any harm in trying that strategy. You can always stop if you don't like it or it doesn't work. I also got stuck for a time while studying for the LSAT and I didn't improve until I started trying different strategies. If you're stuck, I think you should try new strategies until you find one that works.

That said, I scored in the 175 - 180 range in June and the most PTs I ever did in a week was 3. I think doing more than that would have been too many for me. For me, drilling was very important and I would have had to stop drilling if I wanted to take a PT every day (or 2 a day). It would have also been difficult to find time to review the PTs. And I think I would have burned out. But maybe it would work for you.

I'm surprised to see all of the negative posts about TLS here. I think that site is great. It has been enormously helpful to me so far.
    7965 karma
    @ddakjiking said:
    I've been a bit MIA on the forums for my 3rd retake and it's doing wonders for my nerves and PT's in general.
    amen to this
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    edited September 2015 1654 karma
    I don't think being T14 or bust is necessarily a bad thing, but TLSers tend to belittle those who do not get into top schools or score above 170. My problem with TLS is that I have read posts where posters have advised people not to go to law school because they aren't intelligent enough to pass the bar. What kind of person says that?! Not everyone is obsessed with getting a BigLaw job or going to Yale. Jeez!
    TLS is very helpful in terms of getting the inside scoop on law schools and firms, but some posters are very obnoxious. I haven't come across one post on 7sage that has even a hint of entitlement or arrogance.
  • Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    1294 karma
    @"Accounts Playable" said:
    LSAT completely in order to browse some of the law school application forums,
    From my experience, the advice given even for law school application on that site isn't generally reliable. Once again, the ego's kick in and people just end up insulting each other lol.

But as everyone has said, don't burn yourself out. Burn out is honestly the worst thing, it makes you feel as if you just started studying for the lsat yesterday.
  • LoraxManLoraxMan Alum Member
    180 karma
    I PTed every day leading up to the December 2014 test and ended up needing to cancel my score. I wouldnt recommend the everyday strategy as it can quickly cause burnout.
    379 karma
    @LoraxMan wow thanks lorax. Hopefully all is well now
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    Look, it's really quite simple. There are 24 hours in a day, and a 5-section preptest takes about 3.2 hours. Therefore, if you're not doing 7 a day, you're a slacker. Duh.
  • Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma
    @"Jonathan Wang"

Well, the sage has spoken. I am going to go run to the store and grab 3 months worth of hot pockets. See everyone in a few months!
  • g1oriaaag1oriaaa Alum Member
    edited September 2015 31 karma
    hey! i guess it depends where you are in your studies. I started taking two PTs a day but I am in the high 160s and trying to break 170. I feel like I have enough mind endurance now and the reviews are not that long because at this stage I am just trying to get as much practice as I can. When I was just breaking into the 150s no way would I have done something like this because I was still learning so much so doing two PTs a day would be suicide because the review is more important and you will also burn through all the tests and be getting not good scores. All in all i think it just depends where you are in your studies and what score you are aiming for (i.e. if you are aiming for 165 and you are getting 162s and your test is in three weeks, then maybe it is time to do two practice tests).

P.S. you will not burn out if you have built up endurance. I compare it to a runner. A normal person trying to run 5 miles after not running for ages will get burnt out if they just started running hard. However if you build up to it, a person running 70 miles a week will not get burnt out by running merely five miles. The notion of "burnt out" is very subjective so do not listen to everything you read about it. The key is to know yourself and where you are.
    Also some days wont be as good as others. REMEMBER THIS before you start crying and/or feeling let down. the lsat is a mental game. See it all the way through and trust yourself, your journey, and your studies. Good luck!
    7965 karma
    @g1oriaaa said:
    P.S. you will not burn out if you have built up endurance
    Hmm. I have to weaken your argument by introducing premises relating to your analogy. The analogy applies, but you have neglected to account for a range of facts relevant to BOTH items.

Just go ahead and Google "burn out" and "runners." You will find a large subgenre that speaks to the reality of this. I read a number of running and trail running publications and I see these articles every couple of weeks. The relevance to LSAT training is always near to my mind.

Where your analogy (and thus your argument) most critically falls apart is in your 70 miles/5 miles comparison. A PT is not 5 miles compared to 70. A PT is a whole long training session meant to simulate race day (LSAT Day or "YAY DAY" as I call it). In order for your argument to hold, you would need to up that to PT:26.2 miles as Weekly study schedule:Total miles run per week, or something along those lines. And if you were to revise your analogy accordingly, you would see that your conclusion no longer follows.
    @g1oriaaa said:
    I started taking two PTs a day but I am in the high 160s and trying to break 170.
    Hmmm.

This sounds like an attempt to "Fix" your score. Well, more is not always more where PT's are concerned. Taking more tests in too short a period is not going to earn you a 170+. You can take that from me. I've taken like 50-60 PT's including retakes and triple takes (I have lost count along the way). I've been at this for the past year. My last 2 fresh tests (both within the past 3 years of administration) were 173's and my last retake was a 178; I was stuck in the 160's for quite a while but only after working in intentional rest periods have I consistently been at my goal score. (Note: rest isn't a silver bullet either; in my case, lack of rest was keeping me from closing the gap and hurting my mental/emotional game, which is an oft-neglected necessary condition for a 170+ score IMO).

You don't earn a 170+. You train for a 170+. And the way you do that is a lot like the way you train for a marathon, as we've already established. No one who trains for a marathon runs a marathon every damn day, let alone twice a day.

So why are you doing it?
    @g1oriaaa said:
    I am just trying to get as much practice as I can.
    This close to the test, I'd say ... PUMP THE BREAKS. You do NOT want to be burned out when you take the test.
    @g1oriaaa said:
    The notion of "burnt out" is very subjective so do not listen to everything you read about it.
    Subjectivity is not a criterion for poo-poo-ing the risk involved (nor necessarily for skepticism regarding reports themselves).

7965 karma
    @alexandergreene93 said:
    I haven't come across one post on 7sage that has even a hint of entitlement or arrogance.
  • LSATdogfmlLSATdogfml Free Trial Member
    62 karma
    I was doing one a day (weekends off so 5 per week) for many weeks and it increases both your score and endurance. That is for sure. You start to get a feel for the questions and the trend. Especially for LR I found that at the end of the week I was so familiar with the question structures I can KNOW what the test makers are looking for. High-intensity repeated exposure is useful in that sense.

That being said though I do not recommend this method because it will most definitely lead to burnout. If you have a lot of time to recover you "might" like to test it out for an extra boost. But you have been warned. Just...for the sake of your neurons please, don't force it if you find it too much.
    7965 karma
    @LSATdogfml said:
    If you have a lot of time to recover you "might" like to test it out for an extra boost.
    Sure! And to anyone taking in October ... Um ... You don't have a lot of time to recover.
  • adrian.parlowadrian.parlow Member
    14 karma
    I've been taking one PT per day (plus one or two extra LG sections), 5-6x per week for the last 3 weeks and I can't say I'm experiencing any indicators of burnout. Like, compared to exam time in undergrad, studying 4-5 hours per day isn't too bad if you don't have many other obligations. That being said I'm scoring in the 170s so review time isn't bad, and I'm mostly trying to improve consistency at this point
    oh ok
    7965 karma
    @adrian.parlow said:
    I can't say I'm experiencing any indicators of burnout
    ... Yet.

Might be basing your evaluation on too small a sample size (rather, too short a period). Do you really want to run the risk of it taking you personally 4 or 5 weeks to burn out, this close to the exam.

Pump the brakes yo! Why risk taking the exam burnt out? Why???
    i like you ms. Hopkins. haha I can sense your passion pouring out from my computer screen. i was only planning on doing it for this week. it really helped me in RC and I have been able to point out a trend in weaknesses in my LR but i was definitely going to taper off. not do it straight through until the test but as of now I feel strong...but hey what do i know -__-
    7965 karma
    @g1oriaaa said:
    but as of now I feel strong...but hey what do i know -__-
    That's awesome! Yeah I mean ... It's good to do all kinds of training. Sprints, long runs, hills, the whole bit. What you're describing fits into one of those analogous categories, I'm sure. Just as long as you mix it up and don't do more than one to your detriment, variety is good!