Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is it normal that some school application fees are $0 on LSAC??

lpadr009lpadr009 Free Trial Member
in General 379 karma
Or is this just a temporary thing that later changes to an actual amount? 3 chicago schools show as $0 (no, not UC or NW)

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Yes, some schools are free (Baylor, etc).
  • lpadr009lpadr009 Free Trial Member
    379 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    Yes, some schools are free (Baylor, etc).

wow this is awesome!!!!!!!! w00t
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Perfectly normal, just don't forget you still have to pay the dark lords at LSAC for each application.
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    edited September 2015 1654 karma
    @lpadr009
    After you take the LSAT you will start receiving fee waivers from schools based on your numbers.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    Yup, no fees and fee waivers are an incentive to apply! It's good for the schools and good for you
    8021 karma
    Just don't forget those fee waivers are for the school's application fees and not the dark lords' application fees... Getting a fee waiver from them is much more difficult...
  • lpadr009lpadr009 Free Trial Member
    379 karma
    thank you all! @alexandergreene93 omg that is so great! @Pacifico @c.janson35 are you guys referring to the $170 dark lord CAS fee?
    8021 karma
    no... they charge a $30 fee for each law school report they generate, which you will need to send to each school: http://www.lsac.org//jd/applying-to-law-school/cas/law-school-reports/?view=1
    1654 karma
    @lpadr009
    You can also contact admissions offices directly for merit-based fee waivers after receiving your score.
    8021 karma
    You should also check their websites to see if you fall in any of their fee waiver categories (e.g.- TFA, military, etc.) or try scoring some at law school fairs or LSAC forums.
    1654 karma
    @Pacifico
    You will probably get waivers from just about every school, since you are a veteran.
    8021 karma
    Yeah that's partly why I'm applying to a lot of schools that are big longshots, moreso because they'd be free to attend with the GI Bill, but every little bit helps. I need to get on my email game and submit those requests ASAP.
  • leonsmoneyleonsmoney Member
    edited September 2015 280 karma
    @Pacifico I'm a veteran as well and found this list on TLS of all the schools that offer fee waivers for vets. Hope it's accurate ;) I didn't realize there was a $30 fee per school payable to LSAC. I was going to apply to all of the free ones, but I'll definitely narrow this list way down now...

Schools that waive application fees for Vets' (not all inclusive):
    Lewis and Clark
    ASU
    Buffalo
    Cincinnati
    Colorado
    Denver
    UCONN
    FIU
    Hawaii
    Notre Dame
    Tulane
    Richmond
    Widener
    William and Mary
    UVA
    NYU
    Chicago
    Georgetown
    University of Washington
    Berkeley
    George Washington
    Emory
    Vanderbilt
    Wyoming
    Montana
    Penn State
    UMASS

No Waiver:
    Columbia
    Michigan
    Cornell
    Harvard
    Yale
    Stanford
    Duke
    8021 karma
    I'm pretty sure some of the schools on the no list will still do it if you ask them, they just don't advertise it... An email request never hurt anyone...
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    Times are tough and schools want as many people to apply as possible. I get so many emails each day from schools saying my application fees have been waived. hehe