Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any advice for non-native English speaker doing LSAT?

louis2014louis2014 Alum Member
in General 190 karma
Hello Folks,

If you check my posts, I have timing problems. When I do the test untimed, I get more than 20 points higher (160s) than the timed test. Any input is very appreciated.

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Bump
  • 7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
    932 karma
    Same person from tls... Great posting strategy
  • louis2014louis2014 Alum Member
    edited September 2015 190 karma
    Hi @7sagelsatstudent180 , true. No strategy intended. I didn't get a response when I posted in the afternoon so I posted in TLS afterwards in the evening.

I am probably targeting a very small group with my this question. Sorry to all 7sagers who may understand my intention differently.
  • lil2015lil2015 Alum Member
    edited September 2015 30 karma
    As a non-native speaker, I am also strugglig with timing. Still, speed can be increased as you drill your technique.
    Don't self-suggest that we are non-natives, which would lead to more panic during the test; just practice and BR, which is the same way natives gain their confidence on speed!
  • 7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
    932 karma
    I'm a native speaker and I had the same trouble... I just took tests until I was able to think quickly and accurately enough to answer level 1,2, and 3 questions in less than 50 seconds... Quick thinking under pressure is just another skill to develop.
  • eostrelsyeostrelsy Member
    71 karma
    Focus on the core and reasoning structure might help. But sometimes I got tripped over when I overlooked some detailed information.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    Non native speaker here. I don't think there is a difference between the strategy you should take and any other native speaker should take to get better and improve timing. Just practice more and familiarize yourself more with the exam. There are no excuses! True, it might be a bit harder for you to get used to the LSAT language than for a native speaker but so what? Life is not supposed to be that easy and everyone has their own difficulties. Just be confident on yourself, work extra hard, read a few RC passages before going to bed every night if need be and kill the LSAT!

Cheers.
    2424 karma
    don't focus on what makes you weak, focus on what makes you great :)
    190 karma
    Thank you very much all. I very appreciate it. @Pacifico also suggested listening to audiobook, which I am doing now. Before I started studying for the LSAT, in other words when I had more time, I used to read novels. And a lot of that. But that has nothing to do with understanding RC :(.

Does it happen to you that you read an LR stimulus or RC paragraph and say: what the hell did I just read?
  • jyang72jyang72 Alum Member
    844 karma
    @Alejandro, what could be better than debating with native speaker in the courtroom with our non-english accent? That is what makes us great not weak!
    2424 karma
    @jyang72 said:
    @Alejandro, what could be better than debating with native speaker in the courtroom with our non-english accent? That is what makes us great not weak!
    touche....point taken
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    @louis2014 said:
    Does it happen to you that you read an LR stimulus or RC paragraph and say: what the hell did I just read?
    This happens to well educated native speakers as well so don't get too worried about it; while some of this is a product of not being a native speaker, much is due to the dark lords ensuring confusion throughout the test.
    190 karma
    Thank you all. @Alejandro @jyang72 , are you serious? I may disagree that having an accent can have any advantage to be honest :)
  • jyang72jyang72 Alum Member
    844 karma
    @louis2014 having accent does not give you advantage, but being able to use and interpret law in both languages gives you advantage. haha