Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I can't make it all the way through any section.

Elyse LeolaElyse Leola Member
edited September 2015 in General 23 karma
I'm feeling pretty depressed and just beaten down right now because I'm not doing any better at the LSAT since I began for the most part. My lowest timed score in June was 144. To my utter disbelief, I took a PT today and got a 147. I've figured out that I'm only missing around 10 questions because of my stupidity; the rest I'm just unable to get to because I run out of time. I've gotten near 170 before multiple times, but those tests were all untimed. I'm scheduled to take the October 3rd test and I just don't know what to do at this point. I'm unable to get to at least 5 questions from each section.

Does anyone have any advice? I've been going through tests, doing BR, recording my score, and watching the explanation videos. I've also been looking through the analytics, seeing which question types I'm missing, and then reviewing the core curriculum for the applicable section. I'm starting to think that I'm just not made for law school. It seems like the test is just so much easier for other people; I actually had a lawyer laugh at me a few weeks ago when I told him I was actually studying for the LSAT (I'm quoting, "No one studies for the LSAT. If you have to study, you shouldn't try to go to law school."). I've been studying for 4 months and wish I had longer (my pre-law advisor actually told me I should just grab a logic games book and flip through it, that no studying was really required).

Since d-day is so soon, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• LSATdogfmlLSATdogfml Free Trial Member
    62 karma
    I started practicing timed right from the start to get a feel of how much time I have + not developing bad habits of drooling over questions. In your case dude I think you might be better off postponing the exam and do time management from the very beginning. Missing 5 questions per section isn't that big of a deal. -20 can land you in the mid 160s, which compared to 140 is a terrific score (especially considering the fact that you only get near 170 with untimed exams). If you can make sure that every question you DO get to you get right, then it could be a strategy.

In regards to that lawyer who said you don't need to study for the LSAT, if a third tier law school is your ultimate goal then by all means don't study. You CAN get into law school with a 150. But for 7sagers I think the real question is WHICH school.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    All the advice you cite is some hot garbage. If you can't even finish each section you have no business even sitting for an actual administration. A score that low and not finishing any sections means you have serious issues with your fundamentals. I'd either revisit the curriculum or pick up a copy of the Trainer and go back through everything. With that score I'm sure you had to have problems across the board so I don't think your analytics would be of much use.

Check this out to shore up your LG: http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy

Really take some time with the Flaw stuff in the Trainer and the conditional logic stuff on 7Sage. Between those two areas alone you can really make up a lot of ground in a relatively short amount of time. Postpone until December at the earliest, if not February. I know that's late but you're just not doing yourself any favors. Furthermore, studying for the LSAT can actually help to rewire your brain to think in new ways so it actually is an end in and of itself. Don't rush this whole process for arbitrary reasons.
  • Elyse LeolaElyse Leola Member
    23 karma
    Thanks for the replies.

I would like to postpone the test, but I was told from my pre-law advisor that if I take the test in December or February I probably couldn't get any scholarships, as the deadlines for them are usually in November. I can't really afford to go to a law school period without financial assistance. :-/
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited September 2015 3658 karma
    @"Elyse Leola" For what it's worth, you should really do some of your own research and fact check what people are telling you. This includes your pre-law advisor and your lawyer friend. What you're committing is an "Appeal to Authority" logical fallacy. Something that is covered extensively on the LSAT.

Getting a good score later supersedes getting a crappy score sooner. Please keep in mind, you'll have more financial options with a strong LSAT score.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    One thing that won't get you any scholarships is getting a 147 on the test. That's for sure. Taking the December test does not eliminate you by default from scholarship consideration as you were told.

As for your lawyer friend I hope you kindly laughed in his face, or unkindly. If a doctor told you "if you have to study for the MCAT you probably shouldn't go to med school" would you believe her? If a lawyer told you "If you have to study for the Bar, you shouldn't practice law after law school" would you believe her? That kind of advice would make me skeptical of ever believing him/her again, because either they're so uninformed that they don't know what they're talking about, or that they are informed and are purposely giving you wrong information due to some deep seated personal failings or something.

If you need financial assistance to attend law school (as mostly everyone does), then your goal should be to get the highest score possible on the test. You're clearly not ready to do that yet, and so you should give yourself the time to get to that point.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    You can easily go on LSN and find people that got money even after they were waitlisted and then accepted. I'd drop these people like a bad habit. There are no deadlines for scholarships so this person has no idea what they are talking about. Plus everything trickles down from HYS through the T14 and into the rest of the law schools that have money to throw around. Once those top schools get their numbers then everyone else starts to fight over who is left and if you have the score for the right school then you can certainly be fought over. No law school worth attending fights over a 147.
  • allergicallergic Alum Member Inactive Sage
    246 karma
    Don't take the LSAT in October. December will almost certainly be too soon as well. Take it in February or June and apply for the next cycle.

It sounds like you need to work on the curriculum more and return to practice testing later.
    23 karma
    You guys make me feel so much better! Also, Pacifico, your comment on another thread about diapers had me laughing for awhile earlier (thought you should know)!

I will probably just go ahead and take the test in February, then. Sucks, but I've never failed a test in my life, and I definitely don't want this to be the first one.

What would I do without 7sage?! My friends are tired of hearing me talk about the LSAT. It's really nice to have a community of people here that understand.
  • The 180 Bro_OVOThe 180 Bro_OVO Alum Inactive ⭐
    1392 karma
    Ya know @"Elyse Leola"

Since you're going to be taking the Feb LSAT and applying for the NEXT cycle (meaning you start law school in Fall of 2017), you might as well take the June one instead. It would give you more time and you would still be able to apply early.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @ENTJ said:
    For what it's worth, you should really do some of your own research and fact check what people are telling you. This includes your pre-law advisor and your lawyer friend. What you're committing is an "Appeal to Authority" logical fallacy. Something that is covered extensively on the LSAT.
    Amen.
  • chinobonitochinobonito Member
    105 karma
    don't worry, i was in your situation before. I think you can get a good score untimed, that shows your logic is good but you just need to train your brain to think faster. I think you're doing the right thing right now, just be patient because studying for the LSAT is a timely process. Progress will come slowly but surely! Don't be depressed, i understand how that feels but please don't let your mindset set you back. If you get 170+ consistently untimed id suggest to speed drill each section. U will see improvements soon, and once you see the questions over and over again, speed will come naturally. force your brain to think faster, because it seems like you can score well without the pressure and timing. do a little a day, and build up endurance. Don't listen to your lawyer friend, I think everyone is different when it comes to standardized test. The score itself is not a sole indicator of whether if you can be a good lawyer or now. Just try your best, and good luck!
    23 karma
    @"The 180 Bro" I'm still planning to apply for the fall 2016 semester if I take the February exam. There are a decent amount of law schools that still accept applications that late!