Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how much do you study? what do you do to focus?

laestelle2009laestelle2009 Alum Member
edited March 2014 in General 96 karma
i generally study at least 3 hours a day. i felt that 3 hours a day would be sufficient for me because i am fast learner and my attention span does not last long. what do those of you with short attention spans do to focus on studying? I'd like to know so i can study for at least an hour and half longer.

Comments

• ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    Studying for an arbitrary 3 hours a day isn't going to be conducive to you unless you have a focused regiment of what you need to do that exact day. If you don't have any specific trouble spots, I'd recommend you aggressively and methodically go through the syllabus in order.
  • ArchiebootsArchieboots Alum Member
    155 karma
    I think it's not really about the quantity but the quality. For instance 1 hour might be enough for someone to focus and understand everything but some other people might need more. Your studying is objective. A good way to start for instance: Try to do one to two lessons per day, do the exercise, blind review your answers. Sleep on it and do the questions 2 days later to make sure that you understood the process. That's how I have been doing it - I'm not saying it's the right way but it has been working for me so far. Good luck!
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Hours per day depends on your schedule. If you are prepping for a lot of months, you can have shorter study days, vice versa...
  • E.T.90066-1E.T.90066-1 Alum Member
    377 karma
    I usually study 4-6 hours a day. Morning 10:00-1:00, then break for two hours, and then 3:00-5:00. I find I can really take my time and digest info with this schedule. Plus it gives you space to take breaks in between studying which is good to gain mental focus, I think.
    3658 karma
    That's a great schedule E.T.
  • Nathalie NguyenNathalie Nguyen Alum Member
    68 karma
    I work 40 hour weeks so for me... I study first thing when I get up for about an hour to hour and a half... at lunch for an hour during my break and after work for an hour depending on how my brain is. On the weekends, I study a lot more aggressively because I have all day, so anywhere between 5-6 hours with breaks in between of course.
    3658 karma
    @Nathalie Nguyen: I don't know how you do it. I work 40+ hours a week over at my law firm and it's strenuous. It's a real struggle to get any lsat stuff done throughout the weekdays. Props.
    377 karma
    I tried doing that, but I was tired during my lunch hour and after work! I quit my job two weeks ago. After getting a 155 dec. 2013 (initial diagnostic of 139) I know I can get my 160! Then again I have a wife that can help me out financially. Good luck!
  • laestelle2009laestelle2009 Alum Member
    96 karma
    @E.T.90066-1 i hope you do get that 160! that is around my target score! how long did it take you to get the 155 from 139, i think your improvement was great!
    377 karma
    Don't you just hate it when you study more than 4 hours and you begin to get tired and cannot read anymore? After my fourth hour I begin to loose focus!
    377 karma
    @laestelle2009- It took me about a year. It was a real struggle. 3 months to reach 145 another 3 months to get to a 150 range and another to get into the 153-156 range.
  • 42 karma
    I work full time in a hospital. Around 70 hours a week. I like to study a full two-three hours, anywhere from 3AM or 4AM until it's time to go to work. You just have to find time and then put as much effort into it as you can. The other responses here are instructive for me as well.
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    edited March 2014 1878 karma
    Wow, @Eugene Gladsky-1. Quite the schedule! I like the devotion.
  • ali.eiwazali11ali.eiwazali11 Alum Member
    8 karma
    @Eugene thats a tough schedule. I was working 48 hours a week. Had to quit my job, wasn't happy with my February score. Now I study 6-8 hours with small breaks in between. E.T Im try your schedule this week. BTW 139-155 thats a big improvement. Awesome job.
    377 karma
    @ali.eiwazali11 -Wow 6-8 hours! I usually burn out by 5 hours. I never study more than 5 hours, but that is just me, I burn out quickly. I like to think that its about the quality of study not the quantity of hours.
    377 karma
    How many days do you study?
    I usually do M-T-W-Th-F-S
  • ali.eiwazali11ali.eiwazali11 Alum Member
    8 karma
    @E.T 4 days a week.
  • se.pacese.pace Free Trial Member
    7 karma
    I try to get an hour in after work, at least twice a week, on top of a 2-hour tutoring session once a week. Since I work 40 hours a week (sometimes more) it is really difficult to motivate myself Monday through Friday. Thus, my weekends is when I commit to 5-7 hours per day. With breaks of course. Additionally, whenever I have down time (like during my commute to and from work) I will study - the moments that were once useless are now small accomplishments!
  • retaker2014retaker2014 Alum Member
    edited April 2014 99 karma
    I study 9-12:30, and 1-5 every day on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and on Mondays and Thursdays I take a PT. Starting the last/first week of April/May, I will begin taking PTs on M,W, and F at 1:00pm to simulate the test (which is at 12:30 pm in June) for four weeks. For the two weeks before the exam, I will only take two PTs per week: Monday and Thursday at 1:00pm.
  • AlenaLSATAlenaLSAT Alum Member
    edited March 2014 182 karma
    I study for about 3 hours in the morning, when my kid is in daycare, and then for about 2-3 hours at night after he goes to bed. On the weekends 4-5 hours. I quit my job a few months ago to start studying for LSAT. I thought that it would take 2-3 months and I would be ready... Little did I know. :)
  • k the land surveryork the land surveryor Alum Member
    49 karma
    I too work 40+ hours/wk with the unscheduled OT a law firm offers. I'm often too drained to want to waste fresh material on the mush that my brain is after a day of work, so I take probably 2-3 lunches per week to just study and then I do as much as I can take on the weekends. I started a the beginning of February aiming for the June 9 test, and I think I'm going to be ready. If i'm not hitting my floor target score of 170 by then, I'll just eat the registration fee and keep prepping until the October test. Wish I had started studying December or so.
    99 karma
    You can do it Johnny!
  • mzsheribaby2983mzsheribaby2983 Alum Member
    58 karma
    this is a great thread for me. I am a full time mom and a full time author. I am having a hard time finding a balance to study for the LSAT
    377 karma
    @mzsheribaby2983- I understand, just remember, its not about the amount of hours you put it, its about the quality of hours. For example, today I woke up and I was determined to study 5 hours, however, I felt without energy. I could have forced my self to study, but my experience doing this has proofed that studying with bad energy is only harmful(you end up rushing the lessons, and not truly focusing). So what did I do? I ended up watching a movie by Stanley Kubrick. I am sure that tomorrow I will be mentally rested and ready to study at my full potential.

Listen to your instincts.
    3658 karma
    Which Kubrickian film did you immerse yourself in?
  • Nathalie NguyenNathalie Nguyen Alum Member
    68 karma
    When I first started out... I tried to study after work hours, but my brain wasn't absorbing any information. After talking to J.Y. he told me I should be getting up early. And because I was studying so early on in the game.. I also needed to pace myself on the material before I burnt myself out. I had enough space where I could study, but if I was too tired.. I still had some wiggle room to skip a day or two. It might be something to consider for anyone working and who is a morning person like me anyway. After a few cups of coffee ... it gets better lol
    377 karma
    @AL-Eyes Wide Shut. Great film and I still remain to be disappointed by Kubrick.
    99 karma
    Kubrick's great. I've been trying to play ultimate and work out more. I would love to watch more films, but I find that physical releases are a more effective for me as a reset button.
  • paty1775paty1775 Alum Member
    12 karma
    I am also working full-time and studying about 20 hrs per week, but I miss working out. I really have to manage my time well. I study after work for about 2-3 hrs during the week and 6-7 hrs on Sat, and 4 hrs on Sun. It is not easy. I am trying to wake up early and study but I was not able yet. Great to hear that other people are having issues too.
    377 karma
    Yeah, I work out at night. I find that it helps me go to sleep and release my anxiety. I follow this home routine:
    Push ups(3 sets)
    Pull ups(3 sets)
    Squats(3 sets)
    crunches(3 Sets)
    Dumbbell Curls(3 sets)
    And a random triceps work out.

Do this 2x a week and you should be good to go. But remember to eat brain food. I notice I have more energy if I stop eating bread and eat more of this:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/10-foods-boost-your-brainpower
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/18/brain-food-superfoods_n_1895328.html

Trust me, after studying for over a year, the hardest part is to remain with inspiration and mental stamina!
    Great links! I did not know about the pumpkin seeds. Do you swallow them?
    377 karma
    no chew them and eat.
  • mzsheribaby2983mzsheribaby2983 Alum Member
    58 karma
    Thanks for the tips guys. I am now dedicating the hours of 5pm of 8pm to LSAT study. I hope this helps
  • michellemoon0708michellemoon0708 Alum Member
    79 karma
    E.T. thanks for the links!
  • nmillmich25nmillmich25 Alum Member
    13 karma
    wow, this thread is so helpful. I work full time as well and I find it so hard trying to study after work plus I started a new training routine with a personal trainer and it is killing me because he wants me to devote at least 2 hours per day after work.
  • Harshna03Harshna03 Alum Member
    4 karma
    I work full-time and planning on taking LSAT in October, so I used J's custom schedule to plan my study material per week and try my best to complete those material for each week. So far, it has been working out good for me. I usally study during the weekdays and give some time to kids and family on weekend.
    377 karma
    nmillmich25- Yeah, last time I took on the lsat I was also working out for about 2 hours every other day. I have to be honest with you, I would advice to cut down the energy you are devoting to working out. As you may know, working out takes a lot of time because in order to get results, you need to sleep well, eat well(constantly) and invest time in the gym. The endevour of attempting to change your body is a big deal and takes huge commitment.
    So, if you are serious about the lsat and going to the best law school that YOU can possibly get into wether that be a top 10 or top 50 or top 100 depends on you commitment level. Trust me, I have witness people crash and burn attempting to continue with their extremely busy lives while studying. Best advice I can give you is to simplify you life as much as possible. My life today is sleep(8 hour if possible) eat good food(Brain Food), study, read the economist( to develop memory skills for RC) and spend time with my wife and family after 6:00. I know that this is not possible for everyone, but just simplify your life, I think working out can wait after june 10th. I hope this helps.
  • nmillmich25nmillmich25 Alum Member
    13 karma
    @E.T. 90066-1, I honestly believe that you are right. Getting into shape can wait until after the exam, I am just thinking about doing a 30-45 min jog after work everyday and eating right until after the exam at which time I will have the time/energy to get it my all.

Thanks!
    I politely disagree. Trying to work out 2 hours every other day is definitely way too much to handle with an already busy schedule. However, it is perfectly reasonable and possible to get a good 30 minute workout in, 3 times a week without going to the gym. I do 5 sets of pushups, bodyweight squats, situps, lungs and dips, with the last sets going close to fail in 30 minutes or less on M,W, and F mornings. Just choose between lunges/squats and pushups/dips if you want to do 3X5 in 20 minutes. You could also do this workout (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpx3qo_p90-ab-ripper-100_lifestyle) every morning in 6-15 minutes on a yoga mat. You won't necessarily get 'ripped' but you'll strengthen your core, maintain or even lose weight. I lost 15lbs over a period of two months just by doing the video workout above 5 times a week.

@laestelle2009 : Have you heard of the Pomodoro Technique? I study in 25 minute bursts taking a 5 minute break between sessions. Obviously if I'm in the middle of a lesson, or section I finish it and then take my break. I get up, walk around, maybe make some coffee, and clear my head. The amount of study, or work I get done in just 1, 25 minute session has increased significantly since I first started doing this. There are plenty of free timers available for your computer or smartphone that'll time your breaks and your sessions. It helps you avoid procrastinating, and teaches you to turn your brain on and distractions off as soon as the timer starts. Also, make sure to turn off your phone or put it in 'airplane mode' during your study time, and if you can, put it out of reach and out of sight.
    377 karma
    @retaker 2014, thanks for the advice on Pomodoro Technique! I will try out next week.
  • laestelle2009laestelle2009 Alum Member
    96 karma
    @retaker2014 that technique sounds awesome! sounds like it is for people like me. i'll try it out! Thank you!
  • keepcalmandneuronkeepcalmandneuron Alum Member
    470 karma

Pretty informative thread, so I'm BUMPing.

• I am studying from11-8 with an hour break in between (M,T,W,Th,F) at my local library. I want to push in a couple hours over the weekend but I get too lazy lol. I am trying to look at some volunteer opportunities at my local County Court, to combat burnout and to hopefully give me the drive to study over the weekend.
    If anyone out there looking for some volunteer opportunities law related, I would check with your local courts, they may have something out there that might suit your needs and their hours are very flexible! For instance, I didn't know my County Court had court watching, court surveying, and domestic abuse support programs out there for regular citizens with no law experience!

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    770 karma

5 year old thread. Off topic, but I wonder where these OG people are in their careers and lives. Presumably they've graduated from law schools, and working in law firms, government, solo, etc.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Some libraries have a computer time limit. How are people dealing with library computer access issues?

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    770 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    Some libraries have a computer time limit. How are people dealing with library computer access issues?

I just ask for time extensions on the computers. The librarians will oblige, they don't have a reason not to. Just ask them, man.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Thanks. Glad your library understands.