51.3.21 Most opera singers

Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
edited October 2015 in Logical Reasoning 3107 karma
I don't see how E is MSS supported. Can someone evaluate my reasoning?

Here was my diagram:
Opera singers with demanding roles at young age MOST lose voice early because they lack maturity/power.

Young singer with great vocal power MOST LIKELY ruin their voice

Young singer MOST lack technical training needed to avoid straining vocal chords-------->Truncated singing career.

What I was looking for: I didn't think any of the existential quantifier statements linked up (which I thought was weird), except the last one. The first statement talks about opera singers, then we go to young singers with great power (we don't know if they are opera singers), and then we go to young singers in general (we don't know if they are opera singers nor if they have great power). Thus, I was expecting an answer choice that just said that Most/Some young singers have truncated singing careers.

Answer A: We don't know about anyone lacking great vocal power.

Answer B: This is what I chose, but under the timed conditions, I rushed through it. Ruining a voice is only linked to young singers. We don't know if the young singers are opera singers.

Answer C: Only? The only necessary condition is truncated singing career. This answer choice doesn't mention this.

Answer D: Same as C. Maturity isn't a necessary condition anywhere.

Answer E: This is supposed to be the correct answer, but how? Straining vocal chords is a MOST relationship between young singers. The young singers may or may not be opera singers! What if there are 100 young singers and 51 strain their voice. But let's say that 49 other opera singers don't strain their voice! The only thing from the stimulus that we can conclude is that most young opera singers lose their voice early since they lack maturity/power. Where does the idea of "straining" link these ideas? To me, this answer has zero support.

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Bumping this thread to the top.
  • Luluc1234Luluc1234 Alum Member
    150 karma
    I think your confusion with this question stems from misinterpreting the first three sentences. First sentence presents a problem. Second sentence tries to explain the reason for problem, but note it is an ascription- "it has been said..." (a.k.a. hinting the author does not agree with this explanation. In the third sentence, the author's rejection to the explanation is clearly said. If "those with great vocal are most likely to ruin voices" then lack of vocal power (maturity) cannot be the explanation. Then, the last two sentences presents author's view of what the problem is.

The correct answer combines first and last sentences in the form of problem/explanation. I don't think there is formal logic involved. The first most statement in your diagram cannot be drawn because it is not the author's opinion.

@"Accounts Playable" , hope this helps!