Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice on next steps

combswcccombswcc Free Trial Member
edited November 2015 in General 37 karma
I scored a 171 on the Oct. 2015 LSAT, below my 174.5 average, which has really dampened my expectations.
I am not sure what to expect after underperforming. Do you guys think I should...
1) retake in December (hard to do with 50+ hours of work each week)
2) push off law school and retake in February or June
3) go for it and see what happens

Let me know what you guys think!

Comments

• nordeendnordeend Alum Member
    349 karma
    3...i just checked u of chicago numbers you are well within the range and they are top 5. I would focus on writing stellar essays and securing solid LORs then apply. Congrats on 171.
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    You are competitive for a Dillard (full scholarship) at UVA, and you have a very good shot at the others.
  • combswcccombswcc Free Trial Member
    edited November 2015 37 karma
    Thanks for the feedback!
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    Isn't there a website (I think stumbled across one time but have since not been able to find it) that you enter your GPA & LSAT score & tells you the likely hood of getting into just about any law school in the country? If you guys know which one I'm talking about please refresh my memory. It might also be a helpful tool for combswcc to see the options.
    edited November 2015 37 karma
    Thanks...
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @combswcc said:
    People with similar numbers on LSN haven't had much success...
    LSN is less than 4% of the data. Let's all cease committing the "overvalues a data set" flaw.
    1196 karma
    That one works different than the one I was thinking of. The one I was thinking of you enter your numbers in the top hit enter and it shows you the likelihood of admission. I'm not sure how to use the one you posted, it looks like there are some sliders on the side but when I slide the scales it didn't seem to do anything.
    37 karma
    @Sheri123 it's okay. I'll figure it out. @nicolehopkins just because I'm valuing at all doesn't mean I'm overvaluing it. With big decisions like whether or not to postpone and retake the LSAT, any tool like that can definitely be helpful.

I'm really seeking advice on whether to move forward with the application process or wait and take the LSAT again since I underperformed.
    1196 karma
    Is it possible to go ahead and submit your applications and also plan on retaking in December? If you retake in December and score better you could always contact the schools you applied to and ask them to please consider your newer/better score.
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    @Sheri123 said:
    Is it possible to go ahead and submit your applications and also plan on retaking in December?
    This is possible and it's what I would recommend you do, @combswcc . Even though you "underperformed" on this test, your numbers don't put you in danger of outright rejection from your target schools. Apply now and use your likely higher December score for negotiating scholarship money. Good luck and congratulations!
    7965 karma
    @Sheri123 said:
    The one I was thinking of you enter your numbers in the top hit enter and it shows you the likelihood of admission.
    Still only 4% of data, unless you're talking about the LSAC grid. And that one is also suspect.
    7965 karma
    @Sheri123 said:
    Is it possible to go ahead and submit your applications and also plan on retaking in December?
    This really depends on your score and what the target is. You never get a second chance to make a first impression (I think one of Spivey's crew says that).
    1196 karma
    Hi nicole.hopkins I'm new to all of this, so could you please explain what you mean by those sites that estimate your admission into particular schools based on LSAT and GPA, only being 4% of the data? I'm sure I'm missing something in this equation since the LSAT seems to be the biggest factor for most law schools. Thank you so much.
    7965 karma
    @Sheri123 said:
    I'm sure I'm missing something in this equation since the LSAT seems to be the biggest factor for most law schools.
    Yeah--the "data" at LSN and other sites only use a very, very small pool of self-selecting applicants.
    1196 karma
    Oh so they don't take all the data from all the schools to reach those conclusions on the grids? Does that mean the chances of admissions are better or worse & is there a more realistic way to figure out your chances?