Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What changes would you make?

shainabarbershainabarber Alum Member
in General 109 karma
I took the LSAT in Oct for the first time. I had been PTing 156-160 and BR in the 172-173 range. However, I don't think the actual test went well. I am signed up to retake in December. I would really like to get a 166 (that's what I need to get a scholarship).

Here is my study plan for each day:

LG foolproof method
2 new games per day (do each at least twice, watch video between attempts)
Repeat yesterday's new game at least once to cement inferences
At least 2 Reading passages
Drill LR in specific categories identified as weaknesses by analytics
PT on Saturday
BR on Sunday

(Will increase number of PTs per week as we get closer to December)

What changes would you make, if any, to this schedule, to get me ready for a 166 in December?

Comments

• EmergingAttorney180EmergingAttorney180 Alum Member
    edited October 2015 133 karma
    I think it's a solid plan, but I think you may need to leave extra time each day for addressing areas you may struggle with. Maybe plan on doing LG and RC one day, and then the LR part of your plan the next. That way, when you actually identify weaknesses through your drilling, you have extra time to address them that day.
    @shainabarber said:
    Will increase number of PTs per week as we get closer to December)
    I would actually REVERSE this is you are dead set on taking in December. Heavy PT work should not be done close to test day.
  • jyang72jyang72 Alum Member
    edited October 2015 844 karma
    I think you should leave one extra day for each week when you do not have to think of LSAT in case you burn out before the December test.
  • allergicallergic Alum Member Inactive Sage
    246 karma
    I would do the logic games more than twice each. A minimum of 5 times each would be better.
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    edited October 2015 1644 karma
    @jyang72 said:
    I think you should leave one extra day for a week when you do not have to think of LSAT in case you burn out before the December test.
    This is great advice and a must this close in my opinion. The last few weeks should be spent PTing and thoroughly BRing on a clean copy of the test. I would take 2-3 PT per week, BR those and FP the LG if you didn't feel comfortable with them. To be within a month and half, I think PTing would be first priority on my list and everything else secondary (if you have the time). Taper everything off during the last week while allowing just something light during the days leading up to December.
  • shainabarbershainabarber Alum Member
    109 karma
    Y'all have brought up some good points. I was PTing leading up to October, but when the test didn't go well I thought it would be smart to go back and focus my efforts on weaknesses. What's the point in taking a test I know I'm not ready for?

You all are right about taking time off. I don't want to burn out. BUT it's hard. When I skip days I feel guilty. I always think that I can rest after the LSAT in Dec. There is so much on the line.

• GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    @shainabarber said:
    What's the point in taking a test I know I'm not ready for?

You should be commended for taking this approach. So many people, myself included, have taken the approach of rushing up and taking the test whether they are ready or not. I was fortunate to realize I wasn't ready to get the score I wanted and have since delayed a cycle from October to next June. I suffered a bad case of burnout and I think it was directly related to the fact of not taking any days off and trying to "push through". I am of the opinion that sometimes taking time off is just as important as studying itself. Good luck!
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    1) Take a minimum of one FULL day off per week (do not think about the test on this day)
    2) Take 2 PT's per week
    3) Dial back on your drilling if and when you sense burnout creeping in

What are your misses per section? Need to know this to assess particularities of drilling.

You should never sit for the test unless and until you have seen your goal score a minimum of 5 times. It sounds like, from your PT average scores, you had no business sitting for October and unless/until you have seen 166 a minimum of 5 times on fresh takes (preferably PT's 65+) between now and December, you have no business taking it then either.

See how the next few weeks/PT's go.
    109 karma
    I'm gonna take a PT Friday (I have the day off of work!) and see where I stand. I'm hoping the past few weeks of focusing on my weak areas shows up in my score. I'll reasses my current plan after that.
    109 karma
    I got my score back, earned a 158. This should get me admitted.

Still gotta do a detailed study of what I missed, but I was -4 in LG and -9 in RC. I am shocked I did this well overall, and especially in LG. -9 is the worst I've done in RC I recent PTs, but I knew it when I was testing. This is the section I freaked out during.

With all this in mind, I feel pretty good about my study plan: keeping drilling LG to stay fresh and focus on RC and specific LR question types. PT recent tests.

I kinda feel like maybe 166 is in reach since I had a meltdown during test and still did ok. If I stay calm and get my weaknesses fixed I might get close (?).

Any thoughts or feedback?
  • Faaabs93Faaabs93 Alum Member
    edited October 2015 82 karma
    I did 40 PTs. Got my goal score or over on 37 of those PTs.

Test day, I vastly under preformed. Nervousness is a thing, anxiety is a thing, sleep deprivation is a thing, burnout is a thing.

For example. I just did a fresh and timed RC section. Went -4. On test day I went -12 on RC.

Thus what I'm going to be doing is just zoning in on my weaknesses. Doing timed sections and focusing on my wrong questions. Before when I BR'd LR, if I still got the question wrong I wouldn't bother trying to review it. So long as my BR score was 23/25, I'd forget about it.

I plan on doing only one PT a week from now until the test. Drill your weaknesses, review the lessons on your weaknesses, and keep calm.

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @shainabarber said:
    This should get me admitted.
    CONGRATS! Yessssss. Target acquired and DESTROYED.

@InsertPseudonymHere said:
    Test day, I vastly under preformed. Nervousness is a thing, anxiety is a thing, sleep deprivation is a thing, burnout is a thing.
    Wow, amen to this ...
    @InsertPseudonymHere said:
    I plan on doing only one PT a week from now until the test. Drill your weaknesses, review the lessons on your weaknesses, and keep calm.
    Good advice here.

OP, if you need some more tailored advice ... shoot me (or the other mentors) a PM!