Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking the Long Road

LoraxManLoraxMan Alum Member
in General 180 karma
I wanted to put my "LSAT Journey" up here as I think it might help other members of the 7sage community. If you want my perspective on this process and some tips for those just starting, read on!

I started prepping for the LSAT in June of 2014, using Barrons and Kaplan, planning to test in September 2014. This was an ineffective way to prep because of the quality of the materials I was using and I quickly switched to Powerscore, using both the bible books and an online prep course (live classes). I went into the Dec 2014 test feeling OK, but bombed logic games in an early section of the test and literally didn't have the mental stamina to finish. Read: I may have had a breakdown.

In retrospect, my 2014 test prep was insufficient. I hadnt done enough prep, specifically fresh prep tests, and I hadnt mastered Logical Reasoning and Logic Games methods. I started studying with 7sage around February 2015. 7sage definitely helped. However, I took the June 2015 test but was disappointed with my score, a 162. I had been PTing in the mid to high 160s and my original goal had been to break 170.

I buckled down after the June test and kept studying. It was really painful. I worked with a tutor outside of 7sage to keep me focused and committed to a study plan. I kept consistent PTs in the high 160s and low 170s, although at this point repeated content was a problem. This past LSAT, October 2015, I scored a 167. I wasn't disappointed but I wasn't happy either, pretty much neutral to the outcome and relieved I didn't bomb the test. It capped off a study process of ~16 months.

In sum, this process is a beast. I spent thousands of hours (and let's be honest: dollars) doing prep and didn't achieve the original results I set out for. That said, I did get through it. I did break 165, and I did improve my score between the administrations. If I had to boil down my advice in the long-run it would be something along these lines:

1. Don't skimp on prep materials - go straight for the best material and prep available for you. Put the work in to figure out what type of prep you need at the beginning of this process and stick to that prep. If that means working with a tutor or taking a class, start doing that as soon as you can.

2. Make an overly-detailed study plan and stick to it. Working full time, traveling, being in school, etc. whiles studying for this test is hard. As someone working in consulting who travels (on an airplane) every week, I struggled to stick to a study schedule. Ultimately I recommend getting out an excel sheet and make a day by day plan to get you through the next 3, 6, or 12 months to your test administration. Show the schedule to your peers, study buddies, etc. and get feedback on whether your goals are realistic. Include things like exercising, napping or "free time" in your schedule if that is what you need to make sure you can take a break and not get burnout.

3. Play the mental game. Don't let this (awful) test get the best of you. There were definitely times when I was mad, when I thought I was going to go to a dumpster-fire/non-LSAT required law school, or when I wanted to give up on this whole process entirely. None of those thoughts werre helpful or productive. Being good at the LSAT means, well, you are good at the LSAT. That's it. There's poor correlation at best between L1 performance and the exam. When you get mad, try to repeat that yourself and take deep breaths.

In summary, I'm not glad we go through this awful experience to get into law school. But there are some ways you can make it less painful, and knowing these tips and tricks from the start will help you out.

Best,
Lorax

Comments

• amipp_93amipp_93 Alum Member
    585 karma
    Oh my god this is so encouraging. Thank you so much. Im in the same boat, started studying in May, wanted to take the Oct test but no way in hell. And I'm not even close to being done for this Dec. I may just have to wait another cycle and take the June and 2nd shot for next oct unless some miracle of 5 point raise happens in the next 5 weeks. This was really inspiring. Some people have that tendency, some need more time to build that skill. Just because one takes longer, that doesn't mean they are undeserving. Good luck to all in the same boat, and please take care of your health-physical and mental-while preparing. No exam is ever worth sacrificing those two.

Ami
  • PetrichorPetrichor Alum Member
    359 karma
    Props man! I also studied while working but my work is stationary; I can't imagine trying to study while working as a consultant.. congrats and good luck!
  • lsatmantaraylsatmantaray Free Trial Member
    46 karma
    Ugh so true. Selecting the right material is so important. Before switching to Trainer and Powerscore I thought my IQ was as good as Brick's (anchorman). I had blamed the difficulty solely on my own level of understanding. Thanks for the good advice. I gotta take more PT's.
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    @LoraxMan Great advice LM. I empathize with your situation. It's a tough and arduous road to travel. It is not for the faint of heart.
  • justrandomjustrandom Alum Member
    343 karma
    Thank you for this great advice!
  • paniz.gh91paniz.gh91 Free Trial Member
    82 karma
    Thank you, I really needed it. I have been preparing for the lsat from this May and I have planning to write Dec lsat. However I'm not even close to what I expected from myself. I did preptests 10-40 untimed (but I blind reviewed) from 40-50 I timed each sections but did them seperately and from 60-70 I wrote them back to back as in a real test. I diligently reviewed and analyze each and every question and always aim to find 4 wrong answers.
    unfortunately I have a huge problem with timing, I can barely finish on time and if i do my score is at best 160 (and im very dissapointed) if I'm given a bit extra time i can score much better (170) but I guess that's the case with everyone. At times it is very discouraging... I'll greatly appreciate if anyone could give me any advice on what to do next.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    So. Freaking. Encouraging. Currently on the 1+ year train myself!
  • Julia LJulia L Alum Member
    354 karma
    Thank you for this encouragement. I'm coming up on 1 year, and I am definitely not where I originally set out to achieve. But I guess it's always the journey and not the destination, and we make the best out of what we have accomplished :)

Thanks again!