Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hmmm. Advice needed. CANADA

harrismeganharrismegan Member
edited October 2015 in General 2074 karma
So. I told my boss yesterday that I would be sitting out this application cycle as my LSAT mark was a 159. My cGPA is a 3.34, L2 is a 3.66.
But… he told me not to. He said I could likely get into a school.

To be specific, I live in Canada. I was going to sit out this cycle, but I’m been perusing some threads and I see people with similar stats who have gotten into USask, Lakehead, Western, Queens, Windsor, and Thompson Rivers. Sometimes with even lower stats.

I am both a competitive bodybuilder and soccer player, I have quite a bit of volunteer experience, I am sponsored by two different companies, and I have worked for a criminal/employment law firm for over 2 years now. My boss is the managing partner and would likely agree to submit a reference on my behalf for Thompson Rivers.

I guess my question is…. should I apply?
I was originally going to retake in June and give myself a lot of cushion room for improvement because my PT scores ranged from low 160s to as high as a 170. I know I have potential to increase my LSAT mark, so I’m also wondering… should I re-write in December?

The worst case scenario, I get the same mark or worse (all schools I’m applying take only your best mark).
The best case scenario, I am able to raise my LSAT by a few points and make myself even more competitive. The drawback of that is not getting accepted and having to wait to re-write the LSAT until December 2015 instead of in June because it would be my third take.
I have been working with @nicole.hopkins on RC and there is still slightly over a month until the December LSAT.

SORRY. So long winded. I’m just on the fence.

Comments

• sarkisp23sarkisp23 Alum Member
    374 karma
    I'm a Canadian soccer player too and from one fellow player to another lol I think you should apply this cycle. Those are pretty decent stats and if you do rewrite it in December and hopefully get a 162 ish let's say, then you'd be very likely to get in I believe. Make that personal statement great
  • sean.marzsean.marz Alum Member
    181 karma
    I have similar grades as you and received a 159 last year when I took the LSAT (far below what I'm testing at now). From what I've read TRU and USask are very real possibilities as it stands now. If you retake and score a couple points higher I think you'd get into those school at least, if not the others.

Have you had the chance to join the group BR calls? I've found them to be so helpful even just listening to others explain to others how to work through the questions. There's 36 days left to live and breath the LSAT, you can do it if you choose to buckle down! Feel free to message me if you want to study!
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @harrismegan said:
    should I apply?
    Why not apply! If your scholarship offers are sub-par then pull out. Otherwise keep prepping for June.

BUT. You don't want to waste that final take before you've improved enough to make a big difference. If you sit in Dec and get a 162, ok ... Maybe that would help a little bit, maybe not ... But what if you take in June and get a 170? Which would you rather have? More money and better prospects or a comparatively mediocre alternative?
  • bSM45LSATbSM45LSAT Member
    522 karma
    We need to talk! I'm in a very similar situation, albeit a higher gpa, and I've decided to shoot for Queens and retake in Dec.