Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I apply or retake?

iansull425iansull425 Alum Member
in General 4 karma
So I was averaging 174 in PTs and ended up scoring a 169 on the October test. The only other 169 I scored in the three months leading up to the test was while sitting in the middle seat on a flight. I am confident I can score better but how worth it is waiting an extra year (I would retake in June and apply in the following cycle) to hopefully score higher? Should I apply this cycle and see what happens or wait? Also my GPA is 3.68. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• nordeendnordeend Alum Member
    349 karma
    @iansull425 it depends on where you want to go. If your scores are in the 75th percentile then why not apply? If they are in the 50th or 25th then ask youself how important scholarships are to you.
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    @iansull425 said:
    how worth it is waiting an extra year
    How worth it is an increase in scholarship money or opening another school to you as a result of a higher score?

All of this depends on the school. I wouldn't forego the possibility of opening up more money or other schools simply based on being in a hurry to start (not insinuating that you are, just saying). Law school is always going to be here. I would hate to see you make a financial mistake and take on more debt by starting now when you could've waited, tested again, scored higher and saved yourself 100k.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    You know you can apply AND retake (if necessary or desired) right?
  • J.H. SongJ.H. Song Alum Member
    201 karma
    Is retaking in December out of the question? I ask because based on what you're saying, it is more probable than not that your December test will be in the 170's. If that will be your third take however, I'd be more cautious. If you're aiming for "the highest ranked school possible" with as much scholarship as you can get, then retaking would make sense. I think with your GPA, 170 is a good unspoken line for many T14 schools and/or big scholarships.
  • allergicallergic Alum Member Inactive Sage
    246 karma
    You can apply and retake in June and then decide if you want to reapply next cycle based on your new score and your acceptances and scholarship offers.