Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT 70 S4 Q25

rockytoralrockytoral Alum Member
in General 149 karma
Can someone please explain the correct answer?

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
  • rockytoralrockytoral Alum Member
    149 karma
    I only have the LSAT starter =( I can't view the video
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @rockytoral said:
    I only have the LSAT starter =( I can't view the video
    Ahh! Well, if you wanted to purchase PT 70's explanations, you can do so here:
    http://7sage.com/addons/

Either way, I'm sure someone will explain it here in a bit. I don't think many people are on at this time.
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    So first of all the stimulus states that we are dealing with an age old argument made by early astronomers: one which we now know to be incorrect. But our job is simply to choose an answer that contains information required for their argument (reasoning) to hold true. If we find an answer choice that we can negate and in turn ruin their argument, then that is the correct one.
    The early astronomers use a premise that “if stars were farther (more than a few million miles) away, the stars would have to move at tremendously great speeds” [MTFMA --> MTGS] to conclude “stars are not more than a few million miles away” [ /MTFMA ]. To arrive at this conclusion is simple: contrapose the premise. /MTGS --> /MTFMA. That is what correct answer (D) gives us….It affirms “stars do not move at tremendously great speeds” [ /MTGS].
    In plain English, if (D) is negated and stars DO move at tremendously great speeds then the astronomers’ reasoning is all wrong about how far away the stars are.
    I hope I helped make this a little more understandable but if not you can check out this necessary assumption lesson:
    http://7sage.com/lesson/how-to-find-necessary-assumptions/
  • rockytoralrockytoral Alum Member
    149 karma
    Definitely was! After thinking about it for a while I finally came to that conclusion myself! Thanks for the help!
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    Anytime :-)