Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Outside Reading Suggestions

StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
in General 821 karma
Someone last time recommended "The Great Dissent" by Thomas Healy and I absolutely loved the book.
Figured it would be good to start another thread of book/article recommendations that can help improve reading skills + make you more familiar with LSAT subject matter.I struggle with Humanities passages so if anyone has any recommendations...
I mentioned last time that Bill Bryson's " A Short History of Nearly Everything" is a great read: will help you become familiar with a lot of the topics that are tested on the science passages and is also interesting.

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    For those with a commute I always recommend audiobooks, especially for science related topics so people can just get comfortable with a lot of the vocabulary. Passive learning is a great way to economize your time and is especially helpful for those that didn't learn English as their first language or have a difficult time in a given subject area. Here's a link to the audiobook thread I started back during the summer:

http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/3035/audiobooks-to-help-your-rc/p1
  • StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
    821 karma
    @Pacifico thanks!!
  • deleted accountdeleted account Free Trial Member
    393 karma
    @StopLawying:

Here's the reading list that I used when trying to improve my RC. I read everything actively, searching for breaks in the argument. It was actually super helpful. I mostly was focused on refamiliarizing myself with super dense stuff, after being out of school for a semester (grad school):

Free stuff:
    Origin of Species (there's a lot here to argue with -- breaks in logic etc -- but I'm not saying that I disagree with it)
    Academic, dense journal articles (see Google scholar or something, choose some at random)
    Found a free medical textbook. Can't remember what it was.

Check your library stuff:
    The Economist (this is just written in a super LSAT-y way)
    Various biographies that are written for a scholarly audience

I just downloaded all of this onto my phone and read for an hour every day on the bus or whenever I could. I honestly believe that it helped a ton in the beginning. I stopped doing it eventually after my only improvement was coming from understanding the test more, not from understanding the passage more.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    I'm glad you enjoyed The Great Dissent! I'm the one that recommended it lol, I really liked it as well. Hmmm where to go from here.... Quiet by Susan Cain, The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabella Wilkerson, and Cultural Evolution by Mesoudi (although this is really verging into the sciences, which is kind of the point--it attempts to provide a framework to synthesize the social sciences in the same manner as the natural sciences). Quiet and Cultural Evolution are more similar in style to LSAT RC, but Warmth of Other Suns is indispensable.

Give one or all of them a try!
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    @c.janson35 I totally want to join your Book Club! Reading the Great Dissent right now and loving it. Such great contextualization of the primary documents.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    I totally want to join your Book Club!
    Dang, yo—for a jock ,@c.janson35 sure reads a ton of crazy stuff ...

Yeah start a book club Corey

For more on Corey: http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28700&ATCLID=205554929
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    Hahah @nicole.hopkins and @DumbHollywoodActor, I have book recommendations for dayssss.

Introducing 7sages newest service...

pasSages: we put the reading in reading comp.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    This book gets the Corey Janson Catcher’s Mitt of Approval!
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    Corey Janson Catcher’s Mitt of Approval!
    YES!