Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm absolutely disgusted with the LSAT. This test is truly a nightmare :(

in General 199 karma
I really can't wait to be done with this exam. I'm starting to get a headache every time I see a question. I feel like I've put a lot of time and energy into this exam but am not getting the results I want. I gave up on trying to score in the high 160s. Hell, I'll be happy with a solid 155, but it seems impossible to achieve, despite my efforts. I am not reconsidering going to law school at all, but I really wish I could just get past this rough patch in my life, known as the LSAT. I feel like I'm in a bind. On one hand, I can't just say F it because if my score is below average, I doubt if I can get into a decent school. On the other hand, I'm struggling to get into the 150s, Lord help me!

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    You probably need a week off at least. Burnout city.
  • Elle2015Elle2015 Alum Member
    198 karma
    I agree. Put your LSAT stuff away for a week or two. Then come back and slowly go through the Trainer and/or one of the courses here. Based on your other posts, I feel like you're trying to rush to a higher score and aren't giving yourself enough time to grasp the fundamentals or to learn why you're making certain mistakes.
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    @"LSAT Determined" Take a week off, let your brain rest and come back and see us. You're doing yourself no good by continuing down this path with this mindset.
  • mysojulimysojuli Alum Member
    98 karma
    @"LSAT Determined"
    I felt the same way about the LSAT. It's one hell of a test!! I have been studying for months and just recently peaked into the 160s. I do think you need a few days off, I recently took a few days off and my score improved!

I also find the LSAT annoying and hard. One thing that has made the studying process go a lot smoother/ more fun is pretending that I am JY or John. I reason every single question out loud as if I am making a video, yes it takes a long time to complete questions but it's fun! For questions that I am unable to clearly say WHY the answer choice is wrong I watch the video. After doing this out loud reasoning for about 50-100 questions try a timed section without out loud reasoning.

If you REALLY want to give up on the 160s I think you should focus on improving in one specific section. Get your LG down to -5 or less and your RC down to -5 and then you will have big leeway on how much LR you can afford to get wrong.
  • Aaron HansAaron Hans Member
    14 karma
    The test is enormously psychological, building mental mastery, so it's imperative that you FOCUS, FOCUS, FOCUS. Whatever breaks your focus, you have to find a way to remove. I would suggest, start with a LSAT section you really like because what you like you'll want to return to over and over again.
  • nordeendnordeend Alum Member
    349 karma
    @"LSAT Determined" yeah take a long solid break but also remember that this test is the easiest part of becoming a lawyer...that may not sound helpful but you need to hear that. Maybe you could be happy doing something else? Maybe you just need a break? Idk....I was confronted by this reality and it actually helped put the test into perspective which motivated me to study. I knew if i couldnt beat the LSAT then i had no business going to law school---trigger fight or flight response. JY says this in the very beginning of the curriculum:"the LSAT is hard, law school is even harder."
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    I would first agree with the above comments and say you are for sure burnt out.
    I would also like to say that I think you're rushing it. I, too, had the desire to just get through my LSAT prep, write the exam, and be done with it. BUT, reality doesn't work like that. Life gets in the way, you don't always progress how you would like.

I think you should realize that this exam is learnable. You can do it. But, you have to change how you view the exam. Try to like it, look forward to it, and try to get into the mindset that you are beating the exam instead of feeling down about it. That coupled with giving yourself enough time to really prep and enjoy the process, I think will really change how you start to progress :).
  • cjones76cjones76 Alum Member
    318 karma
    @"LSAT Determined" I came from a very low score, myself. I also had my times of psychological struggle....and still do. At one point I also thought.. "I am never going to get into the 160s." Like everyone else recommended, take some time away from it. When I get frustrated with the LSAT I know I need to back off and take a break. Yesterday, I was getting frustrated and thinking the test is soo soon I need to focus and study more, but I realized that is counterproductive. I took the rest of the day off so that today I would not feel disgusted with the idea of studying today.

When you come back really focus on your fundamentals and drill them so they are natural to you. Otherwise when you are PTing you will be focusing your energy on how to approach a question, how to logically negate, whats the proper way to diagram and these things slow you down during a timed section. It is an inefficient waste of your time and a PT. For LR do drills where your are underlining conclusion and recognizing support, so that when you get to every question after a read you already recognize the structure. Then focus on recognizing the flaw in every LR question. The Trainer has some great drill like this and you really should read it if you haven't already. I would not take a PT again until you had these fundamentals down.

When you do get back to PTing what helped me is to not idealize this score that I wanted. Don't compare the score you got to what you wish you got. Instead I focused on how I wanted to improve. I set more realistic incremental goals. I thought "just get 3 more point" and once I got that I felt some satisfaction and shot for another 3 points.

Also to echo everyone else accept that this is a slow process. You can't force your score to increase. And getting frustrated with your score doesn't help the process. Embrace the long journey and realize that the LSAT and Law School are not going anywhere.
  • Artwork94Artwork94 Free Trial Member
    edited November 2015 140 karma
    i feel the same way, I'm so tired but I just keep telling myself I can do it. I want it. Badly. and I will do what it takes to reach my goal. Whether that means taking it 2 or 3 times, I don't care. Bombed my first time in october after studying for 6 months, was devastated, now I'm recharged and ready to go for december. Stop focusing on the negatives and keep moving forward and keep your mind on the present moment. I stopped worrying about what is out of my control, and I am now focussed on what I can control (how often/how productive my study sessions are)
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @Artwork94 said:
    I stopped worrying about what is out of my control, and I am now focussed on what I can control (how often/how productive my study sessions are)
    Yes! And a big part of productivity is adequate rest :D