Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sufficient Assumptions destroying me

k the land surveryork the land surveryor Alum Member
edited April 2014 in General 49 karma
Sufficient Assumption questions are killing me. Anyone have this problem and how have you overcome it?

Comments

• ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    I would say sufficient assumption question types are probably the most mechanical LR questions you'll see on the LSAT. It's literally all about plugging in the correct missing premise to validate the argument. Understand the logic behind these questions and apply your knowledge via practice!
  • ArchiebootsArchieboots Alum Member
    155 karma
    Can you give us an example for a question you struggled with? And talk us through your process to find the right answer?
  • k the land surveryork the land surveryor Alum Member
    49 karma
    I am having trouble both with the translations and applying the logic. I think I just need to practice the translations more and then really actually master the valid and invalid inferences
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    There are tons of worksheets throughout the course that help you hone your ability to mechanically translate. Check this one out:

http://7sage.com/lesson/quiz-on-valid-invalid-argument-forms-with-translations/
  • ArchiebootsArchieboots Alum Member
    155 karma
    Yes definitely - translate, translate, translate and practice until you get the translation right. I will definitely help you see the "missing link" in NA.
  • anne2hoanganne2hoang Free Trial Member
    edited May 2014 226 karma
    Assume the argument is incomplete, and then find the missing piece that will make the conclusion true (and unavoidable). In other words, find the logic leap or gap in reasoning that will justify the conclusion. What makes the argument “win”? Basically "fill in the hole." Sufficient Assumption answers are usually the big, bold and strong answer choice.
  • laestelle2009laestelle2009 Alum Member
    96 karma
    SA and PSA are a problem for me too, lucikly you guys have answered the questions i had about SA but is the objective of the PSA questions the same as the SA questions?
  • AlenaLSATAlenaLSAT Alum Member
    182 karma
    In assumption questions, most of the time, the gap is between the predicate of the conclusion and a premise. For example, It will rain tonight because the sky is overcast. Here the gap is between "will rain" and "the sky is overcast." The sufficient assumption is "It has always rained when the sky is overcast," since if this is true, then the conclusion follows. Necessary assumption will be "It has sometimes rained when the sky is overcast," since if this is not true (negated), the conclusion will not follow. Sufficient assumption gives us certainty about what will follow, and hence it will usually contain words like always, never, constantly, etc.
  • CFC152436CFC152436 Alum Member
    edited June 2014 284 karma
    Laestelle - essentially, but not exactly. SA, PSA, and strengthen questions are all asking you to make the argument better (i.e. close the assumption gap between the premise and the conclusion). SA questions close the gap completely - this means that when you add the sufficient assumption to the stimulus, the argument becomes a valid argument. PSA questions come as close as possible to closing the gap completely without actually closing it completely. In other words, when you add the correct PSA answer choice to the stimulus, the argument is really close to a valid argument, but falls just short.

The minor difference between SA and PSA questions doesn't usually make that big of a difference in how you answer the questions. That withstanding, knowing and understanding the distinction can still be helpful.

JY explains it really well (and certainly better than me) in the lessons if you want to review!
  • chrijani7chrijani7 Alum Member
    827 karma
    @CFC, just wanted to say thanks for explaining the difference between SA and PSA. Never fully understood it, until I read your response and it just clicked! so thanks !