58.1.24 The Kiffer Forest Preserve

Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
I had a very tough time with this question, can someone evaluate my analysis of A, D, and E for me?

This is a weaken question.

The Kiffer Forest Preserve (KFP), which is a part of the A Valley, is where most of the bears in the valley live. The main road through the KFP has been closed for 8 years. During those 8 years, the bear population in the KFP has doubled. Therefore, the A Valley's population will increase if the road is kept closed.

What I am looking for: I think there are a few things wrong with this argument. First is the "part to whole" flaw. It is true that the KFP's population increased, but is that support for the idea that the entire valley's population will increase? Not really. What if the bears just moved there from other parts of the valley? Second is the causal flaw. What if there was something else that led to the increase in the bear population, and the road being closed is spurious? Third is the futuristic prediction. Let's assume that closing the road was the reason for the increase in the bear population, will continuing to keep it closed work? What if the bear population is at max capacity right now and no new bears can live there? You'd have to assume that that isn't the case.

Answer A: I had a very tough time eliminating this one, and I originally chose it during the timed exam. I had enough time to come back to it, and I did change it. I think this is wrong because to weaken the argument, you have to assume that the migration came entirely from other parts of the valley. But, that isn't an OK assumption. This answer choice leaves open the possibility that the migration came entirely from outside the valley.

Answer B: I think this may strengthen the argument since it sort of implies that migration from other parts of the valley was not another cause of the population increase in KFP.

Answer C: This is superficially similar to B, but it is wrong for a different reason. The statement is too weak to undermine the argument. Sure, the population increase in KFP didn't come from bears outside the valley, but what if the bears in KFP just had more babies or something due to cars not scaring off the bears? This answer choice doesn't do a whole lot.

Answer D: I changed my answer from A to this one. I think this is wrong because leaving out the rate of increase in KFP is important. Say that it is true that the population of the bears outside the KFP decreased a little bit, but what if bear population in the KFP increased by a million times? This scenario might strengthen the argument since the total population of the valley would still increase, even though only one small part of the valley is responsible for the increase.

Answer E: This is what I changed my answer to during BR. If the total population of the valley remained the same, then the doubling of the KFP population was solely due to internal migration. It wouldn't make any sense to say that the increase in the population of a part (KFP) transfers to a population increase of the whole.

Comments

• lsatmantaraylsatmantaray Free Trial Member
    46 karma
    I suck at LR so I'm not sure if my thought process is right but here's my analysis of A, D, and E.

First off, as soon as the stimulus sited populations of a region (Abbomac Valley) and then a specific area (Kiffer Forest Preserve) of the same region, I thought this question was probably challenging the part to whole logic.

I eliminated A quickly because it doesn't focus on the population balance as a whole region. What has contributed to the population increase in the particular area doesn't really affect the conclusion.

D seemed okay for a second because it seems as if it contrasts the population balance between inside and outside of the preserve. But it actually doesn't do anything to the conclusion. There are many possibilities. If the outside population is significantly larger than the inside population, the decrease in the outside population would directly impact the total population of the region.

E was perfect. If the entire population has remained the same, it doesn't matter if any part of the region experiences increase or decrease. Because, in the end, they all add up to the unchanging general population.