Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old LR Qs vs. More recent LR Qs

aaabbbcccaaabbbccc Alum Member
edited November 2015 in General 136 karma
As I am spending most of my time working on recent PTs for the December test, I have been solving some of old LR questions as well (I would consider PT 1-30 old).

After working on both, I think a conspicuous difference between old and newer ones is that old LR questions are not as tightly worded as new ones. I feel like old ones are cruder while newer ones are more refined in terms of their writing styles.

Assuming there are differences, I don't think they are about different flaws or different assumptions but more about different writing styles. I don't know if this is just me but I definitely spend more time reading/understanding old LR questions' stimuli than those of newer ones.

Do you guys think that there are any differences between old LR questions and newer ones? I would love to hear your opinions about this :D Thank you!

Comments

• cjones76cjones76 Alum Member
    318 karma
    I would agree with you. When I attend BR calls there seems to be a general agreement about this as well. The new tests seem to have a more crisp writing style, but I think they also sometimes have better trap answers.

I recently took PT 45 when I was primarily taking PT 60+ and I saw a huge difference in the writing styles. I had to reread many of the stimulus to understand what they were saying.

Despite the differences in writing styles I don't think older PTs are a waste. They are still testing the same question types. You still have to be able to ID the flaw, find the assumption, etc.
  • aaabbbcccaaabbbccc Alum Member
    136 karma
    @cjones76 Yup! I definitely agree with you that those differences are not a waste. Thank you so much for your response :)
  • sean.marzsean.marz Alum Member
    181 karma
    @cjones76 said:
    I think they also sometimes have better trap answers
    So much this! Really reinforces the importance of knowing what you're looking for before heading into the question choices.