Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Timing Issues

Micaela_OVOMicaela_OVO Alum Member
edited April 2016 in General 1018 karma
Hello fellow 7sagers,

I'm trying to decide whether to sit out another cycle. I'm blind reviewing in the 170s, but I can't seem to get my actual score up from the low 160s. I've gone through JY's course twice, the LSAT Trainer, and Manhattan RC. My brain often turns to mush on the harder, convoluted questions under intense timing conditions. I started taking timed PTs around mid October but can't seem to get over this anxiety. I've taken about 10 PTs. Clean copy BR each time. I really need advice on how to get over my timing issues. LG is my strongest section. The timing issues only affect me with RC and LR.

I'm considering postponing until February, but I know applying that late in the cycle would severely hurt my chances at getting accepted to high ranked schools with a scholarship, as most of the seats and scholarship money will be gone by then.

I've been studying 5+ hours everyday (8+ on the weekends) and work full-time. I've been at this since late August, so I fear I'm risking burnout. It would be extremely painful to have to keep pushing through until February, but I know the golden rule is "Don't take the LSAT until you are 100% ready." :(

Things to consider:
- Very scared I won't have new stuff to work with if I sit out another cycle. Only about 30 fresh PTs left.
- Aiming for 165+

Comments

• sean.marzsean.marz Alum Member
    edited November 2015 181 karma
    Based on what you've written, I'd say that you're not ready to write the LSAT in December. 10 PTs at this point in the game doesn't give you enough time to let the material sink in via practicing and BR.

Ideally you'd want to have gone through 20-30+ PTs before writing the test. If you were to cram that much into the short window before the Dec test you'd probably experience even worse burnout than you're feeling now. Sometimes my biggest increases in scoring while working my way through the 160s have come from taking some time AWAY from the test. You can't force this test, I've tried and failed.

For timing during LR/RC, hold yourself to a certain amount of time per question. For me its 1:30 per on LR and ~45s on RC. If you get used to how long questions SHOULD take via PTing, you can learn when to skip a particularly harder time sink when they reveal themselves. I got caught by one of these on the Dec `14 LSAT, and it caused the rest of the section to be a trainwreck for me.

At the end of the day you want to take the test when you're PTing at a score you'd be happy with getting. I think JY said once that if you take the average of your PT scores on the last 3 PTs with a margin of error of +/- 3 that's your score range. If you're not there yet, hold off. You're undermining your success by holding yourself to some arbitrary test date. The LSAT will always be waiting for you.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    10 PTs may as well be 0 PTs. And you're studying way too much while working full time, especially if you are having test anxiety/stress so I would say shoot for February and if things aren't lining up then just play the long game til June... Take the extra year to pad your resume, crush the LSAT and put together the best possible apps.

Also, you don't need new stuff. We have people who have taken 50, 60, 70, 80, 90+ PTs and obviously there were some retakes thrown in there either by design or necessity. So don't worry about that and just keep pressing but be careful you don't burnout because you seem headed in that direction.
  • Micaela_OVOMicaela_OVO Alum Member
    1018 karma
    Thank you for the insightful responses. @sean.marz You really hit home with the arbitrary test date comment. I feel since I've already taken a year off from school, I'm in a rush to apply to law school. That's not the mentality anyone should have.

@Pacifico I think I'll try to lighten the workload during the week so I don't burnout before February. It's comforting to know that PT retakes are valuable as well.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @mjpina15 said:
    Only about 30 fresh PTs left.
    ... What ??! What do you mean "only 30 PT's"? You've barely even started. You'll be fine. Sit out and get the score that demonstrates the high end of your potential.