jkim30001jkim30001 Alum Member
edited July 2017 in General 122 karma

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    If you value money over time then of course it is worth it. And I don't think it's actually that much paperwork. I applied and got rejected because of my wife's income. But I was told that most people get it on appeal. But the appeal process puts a hold on all your LSAC stuff so I wouldn't be able to apply anywhere until it was over. So if you are applying this cycle you had better hurry.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @hjlee1992 said:
    but we are not under the poverty line.
    Then you will not receive the waiver, to my knowledge, but you should go ahead and apply as Pac says. All you need to do is submit a 1040, I believe?
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @hjlee1992 said:
    just wanted to double check before I spend 1500 +
    Wait ... Why would you pay this much money? You can get fee waivers from 90%+ of schools—I'm a splitter and have gotten waivers from almost all of the T14.
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    578 karma
    @nicole.hopkins I'm ending up paying around $1200 applying to 19 schools, despite waivers from most T14. The $30 CAS fee for each school plus the schools that didn't give me a waiver and charge $70-85 each...The CAS fees alone are $570, so it adds up!
  • lauren88lauren88 Member
    10 karma
    @hjlee1992 It is not difficult to get a fee waiver from the LSAC. I submitted my 1040 and a cover sheet (available on the LSAC website). You need to know what your LSAC account ID is or whatever. Received an email stating that I was eligible some time later. Not sure of how long it took. Definitely worth it.
  • cjones76cjones76 Alum Member
    edited November 2015 318 karma
    I applied as well. I don't remember the paperwork being too much of a pain. However, it did take awhile for them to get back to me. And then they wanted additional information after I submitted my application. Therefore, dragging out the time. So, the downside to doing it this late (assuming you are applying this cycle) is that you won't receive your score until you are approved or are denied and pay your fees retroactively.
  • jkim30001jkim30001 Alum Member
    edited July 2017 122 karma
  • cjones76cjones76 Alum Member
    318 karma
    I have read somewhere that in regards to the fee waiver they will not refund you retroactively. So if you have already paid for the test you are planning to take then you will not get that benefit, unless you take it again. I therefore don't think they will refund your CAS fees. The only benefit from the free waiver remaining is 4 law school reports at $30 each. So is it worth $90 to you?
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    If you have never applied for a waiver you still apply for the first time. It doesn't get used up by paying them for anything. But again, this is a time intensive process and depending how long it takes it could jeopardize your applications for fall 2016 so now is not really the time to be doing this if that's your goal. After I was rejected and looked at the appeal process they were going to lock everything down once I started so I opted not to bother.