Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

December 2015, take it or postpone it?

1LBound1LBound Alum Member
in General 149 karma
Hi everyone. I'm writing to you all to get some advice and guidance about my dilemma (and hopefully ease my nerves). So here's my situation. I work full-time and been out of school since 2007, I started studying back in June with Powerscore's program (I know, I know, please don't judge) and originally planned to take October LSAT. I had surgery at the end of July and was out of the studying game for several weeks, which set me back a lot. My boyfriend and I talked, weighed my pros and cons, and we both decided it was best to push my test back to December to get me more time to study. We found 7Sage and I began their starter package in September. My scores haven't been great, mid-140s PT and low160s BR, which is obviously no where near my target score (165+). My strengths are LG and RC, but I'm absolutely horrible at LR, during timed and BR. After each BR, I feel I know the information, understand it, but when I take another PT, I choke. I've never been a good standardized test taker, so I knew going into this I had a big challenge to overcome. I know progress takes a while, but here we are 3 weeks to December's test and my PTs are bad. My boyfriend thinks I should take December's test as planned, see what score I get and use it as a trial run so I'm prepared when I take it in June 2016. My concerns with his suggestion is I waste my first test, in case I need to retake it in October 2016 (after June 2016 test) and secondly, I'll have to explain to all my schools why I scored so badly the first go around, if I score well on the June 2016 test. So here's my question, should I cancel my December test or not? At this point I know I need more time to study and go over the material again, luckily I haven't exhausted all my PT, 50-75 left. I definitely underestimated how much time I needed to study. With working M-F 8-5, I cram in about 4 hours each evening and put in another 6-8 each day on Saturday and Sunday, so I know I'm overloading myself and not allowing the information to absorb. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and comments about my situation and welcome any advice you send my way. Thank you.

Comments

• kaytheehkaytheeh Member
    132 karma
    IMHO, it depends on: 1.how crucial it is for you to start law school Fall 2016, 2. how likely is it for a score improvement between now and the next test date, since you work full time etc. 3.and finally, the school you want/need to get into, is February too late?

My PT scores are not where I would be comfortable but February is too late for my school of choice (late as in, they would've already allocated the majority of admission spots by then - so I would be literally picking over the leftover spots), so I have to take Dec. Postponing till Feb would prob give me 7 to 10 extra points improvement, but considering other factors, thats not enough reason for me. And yes, I need to be in law school by fall 2016.

Best of luck, iIhope it all works out for all of us!
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    edited November 2015 1644 karma
    The general consensus around here will be not to take it (even the first time) until you have PTed your goal score at least 5... maybe 10 times. I don't advocate taking it until you are absolutely ready. Furthermore, why would you roll the dice and "see what score you get" with one of your takes? Each of the three takes are precious and should only be used when you are absolutely ready for them. Best of luck, but I would move to June.
  • Campo1995Campo1995 Alum Member
    74 karma
    I would move to June, taking it in December might hurt your confidence if you end up scoring in the 140's and as others mentioned you are wasting 1 of your 3 attempts. Best of luck studying
  • allergicallergic Alum Member Inactive Sage
    246 karma
    Definitely postpone it.
  • 1LBound1LBound Alum Member
    149 karma
    Thanks everyone, again. Fall 2016 was my personal goal to start, I can definitely wait one more year to apply. Heck, I've waited 9 years to go back, one more year won't kill me. The only bad thing about postponing is hearing the naysayers question my decision. More of a reason to prove them all wrong. Good luck to everyone, I'm off to reevaluate my study schedule.
  • Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
    1049 karma
    @1LFall16Bound I think you're right to wait. I waited over 9 years too - 1 more won't hurt.

My GF thought I should take it too - she meant well and so did others but it wasn't there field so I didn't hold it against them. Go with your informed gut.

If I hadn't waited another cycle I wouldn't have scored in the 99th percentile and gotten in Berkeley Law. Plus if you're not a morning person like me, you'll be better off with may/june for the afternoon test.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @1LFall16Bound said:
    My boyfriend thinks I should take December's test as planned, see what score I get and use it as a trial run so I'm prepared when I take it in June 2016. My concerns with his suggestion is I waste my first test, in case I need to retake it in October 2016 (after June 2016 test)
    yes...your concerns are legit and very important ...

@1LFall16Bound said:
    So here's my question, should I cancel my December test or not?
    yes.
    @1LFall16Bound said:
    Heck, I've waited 9 years to go back, one more year won't kill me.
    there you go!
    @1LFall16Bound said:
    The only bad thing about postponing is hearing the naysayers question my decision. More of a reason to prove them all wrong.
    ignore them.
    @"Quick Silver" said:
    My GF thought I should take it too - she meant well and so did others but it wasn't there field so I didn't hold it against them. Go with your informed gut.

If I hadn't waited another cycle I wouldn't have scored in the 99th percentile and gotten in Berkeley Law. Plus if you're not a morning person like me, you'll be better off with may/june for the afternoon test.
    HERE YOU GO!!!!
  • pritisharmapritisharma Alum Member
    477 karma
    talking about postponing... Question is : if I withdraw now does it show on my record ?
  • Micaela_OVOMicaela_OVO Alum Member
    1018 karma
    @pritisharma No, it will not show on your record and doesn't count as one of your 3 takes- as long as you withdraw by midnight before the exam.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @pritisharma said:
    if I withdraw now does it show on my record ?
    No
  • cyberta888cyberta888 Member
    12 karma
    I am also postponing the December test as I'm in the same boat you are, working full-time, etc. I originally planned for October and now will push to Feb. You definitely don't want to take it just to see what you get. I contacted my hometown school and they said they accept the Feb Lsat, but to turn in all of my other paperwork before then, and that's one reason why I'm taking it in Feb instead of Dec. Good luck!