Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How should I interpret LR questions I missed because I mis-read ?

LSATKingsmanLSATKingsman Alum Member
edited November 2015 in General 1024 karma
I just had a very poor performance on a PT. I missed 3/4 LR questions because I did not know them no excuses. BUT I missed another 7!!! Because I misread something in the stimulus or did not correctly read it. How should I interpret this? I am at a point where I feel that I could go perfect majority of the time because I truly do know the test, however this PT score hurts. What should I do here?

Comments

• badgalriribadgalriri Alum Member
    edited November 2015 316 karma
    I'm not an expert but you may be rushing, and the times when I read at a normal pace rather than skimming, look at each modifier and notice each change in term use - all that helps. I think slowing down might help you a lot since you already have the material down (hopefully other experts will give their insight as well)
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @LSATKingsman if you notice that you have lots of time remaining before time is up, then you might try slowing down just a tad. Do you know approximately how much time you're spending on questions? Of course this will vary from test to test, but it might be worth checking into if you're missing so many from misreading. Do your timed tests or your BR scores indicate that you go -0? If just BR, then that probably means you should slow down. Was this score totally off from the others?
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    "Misreading" isn't an accident, especially not 7 times. It may feel as if all you did was miss a word, but in reality there was a small lapse in your understanding. Maybe this was caused by a lack of concentration, or maybe it was caused by skills that aren't exactly where you think they are. Either way, keep practicing. The way that the test is written is tricky many times, and purposefully so. I would chalk up 7 mistakes as 7 times the test writers got the best of you before interpreting them as misreads. I've been there before! You just have to keep at it; eventually, with enough practice, you'll see that the amount of times you "misread" will drop substantially, and when this happens, you'll be able to see the difference between your skills then and now.

Good luck!
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @c.janson35 said:
    I would chalk up 7 mistakes as 7 times the test writers got the best of you before interpreting them as misreads.
    +10!!
  • Elle2015Elle2015 Alum Member
    198 karma
    If it's just one PT where this happened, perhaps you were tired and didn't focus as you should have. I wouldn't worry much about it unless it's a pattern. I found that I stopped "misreading" when I stopped PTing in noisy cafes.