Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just Hit a Road Block!

Hi everyone!

I'm new here. I've been studying for the LSAT since August 2015 with the intension of taking October. I enrolled in a TestMasters course in August but I just couldn't get my score above 145 before October's exam. I decided to postpone and registered for December using The LSAT Trainer and Prep Tests 62-71.

Unfortunately, I only improved a few points (my highest score 152 and my average usually 148-149.) With a week away from the test, I am close to accepting that I have to swallow my pride and withdraw from December. Sitting out the cycle sucks but I know in the long haul a stronger score can get me into a top school with scholarship.

If I take this route, I will register for June and most likely enroll in 7sage's Ultimate package giving myself 5-6 months of prep. I am aiming for the early 160s and quite possibly the mid-160s.

Just to give a brief synopsis of my habits for the past four months. For the most part, I conceptually understand a good amount of the material. I understand conditional logic, quantifiers, etc. For LG, making deductions, overlapping rules, etc. However, I do think I have great test anxiety and preform poorly on my PTs by re-reading questions, losing focus and not being able to apply my skills under timed conditions. My strongest section is LG (-6 to -8) followed by LR (-10 to -12) and worst RC (-15 to -17).

If you can help me with some advice, that would be great!

1) Is it best if I withdraw next week and keep my record clean with no re-takes?
2) Is it possible to jump from 148-152 to 160-165 with 7sage in 5-6 months?

Please let me know what you think. Thank you!

Ethan

Comments

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @ethanrauf yes to both of your questions. Have you been utilizing the free LG videos from 7Sage? Do the fool proof method with every game and you'll probably see quick improvement there. Are you doing BR for each PT? Do an "open book" BR if you have to to make sure you're handling each question type correctly. I would take another look at the flaw section for LR and the RC section from the Trainer.
  • sean.marzsean.marz Alum Member
    181 karma
    Don't rush and take the LSAT in June/Oct. Future you will be grateful.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    You have no business taking a real administration if your LG is that bad, or if your best section is -6 to -8, or if you're missing more than half of a section. June at the earliest but maybe the fall depending on how you progress. I don't know why you thought you could crush this test in that short a span of time with a sub 145 diagnostic but you need to understand this will be a long process for you. Cancel your administration and then let your prep guide you as to when to reschedule.
  • nantesorkestarnantesorkestar Alum Member
    431 karma
    Thanks everyone! I decided to cancel my December administration. Planning for June with 7sage Ultimate package and October if needed.

Does anyone have advice on when to start prepping again? I was planning for early February, which gives me roughly two months for a break. I am thinking of dedicating those two months to reading dense academic material (something I lacked for RC).

@tanes256 I used 7sage's LG videos, also did BR for LR. I don't think I was as dedicated to BR as I should have been. Rarely did the full proof method for LG or memory method for RC. Granted I was not enrolled in 7sage's course so this time around I am sure to learn the methods and stick to them.

8021 karma
    Why would you take a break? You are going to need all the time you can give to this. Just because you aren't taking December now does not give you a reason to not continue your prep. You need to BR each section, not just LR. Grab the Ultimate package and get started now, not later. When you start PTing at or above your target score then you can lighten up a bit (and of course at any point where you start to burn out).
  • nantesorkestarnantesorkestar Alum Member
    431 karma
    Thank you @Pacifico. It does make more sense for a break until I reach my target score. Since I basically learned the LSAT through TestMasters, will I find 7sage's approach to help replace those previous habits? I found TM to not analyze questions well enough towards specific weaknesses. Everything was too general. They schedule classes two months before the actual test, which added a lot of pressure on me. I am hoping six months of 7sage will get me that 12-15 point increase.
    8021 karma
    No I mean don't take a break in prep. Just start over with 7Sage and get to work.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Absolutely pull out ASAP. It's a shame to waste a take. Bad risk management.

It might take longer than 6 months but you won't know unless/until you try!

Just move forward with 7sage and don't worry about what you have or haven't done this far.