Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Job or LSAT?

175orelse175orelse Alum Member
edited November 2015 in General 51 karma
Brief background:
Top 10 Public School, right below median GPA for Harvard. Aiming for YHS, trying to lock in CCN or T14 with significant scholarship.

Graduated in June, and currently working as a legal secretary for top 100 biglaw firm. Gained exposure to different practice groups (m&a, securities, real estate, IP litigation, and overall litigation - state and federal courts).

I realized I want to do regulatory work (more specifically in international trade), and work in DC (seeing as to how DC is the center for regulatory work). Would applying to jobs in DC, then gaining work experience in DC (as a legal assistant/paralegal in biglaw or something related to international trade) then studying for the LSAT on the side and going to law school a few years from now make more sense as compared to staying in my current role and locking in a high LSAT in June then applying early next cycle? I feel that the WE as a legal secretary wouldn't be viewed very highly by YHS specifically (even though it is in a biglaw firm) as compared to more specialized WE in a higher role (paralegal or regulatory analyst).

Scored around 167 on PTs, and still have roughly 30 fresh PTs left. Very confident in 170+ LSAT in June, aiming for 175.

Thoughts?

Comments

• NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    edited November 2015 1654 karma
    @175orelse said:
    Would applying to jobs in DC, then gaining work experience in DC (as a legal assistant/paralegal in biglaw or something related to international trade) then studying for the LSAT on the side and going to law school a few years from now make more sense as compared to staying in my current role and locking in a high LSAT in June then applying early next cycle?
    A legal assistant position is not considered valuable experience to big firms. Why take off extra time? If you are interested in transactional law, and you are currently working in investment banking or private equity, then that is understandable, since you are getting experience with deals. Working as an assistant/paralegal at a firm, however, is not going to make a difference come OCI. The most important factors, which will determine your career, will be where you go to school, how well you do there, and how well you interview (how personable you are).
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    If you really want DC then a full ride to GULC or close to it is not a bad way to go... Most people go there for the government side of things and that is why their big law numbers aren't amazing... I think you'd be better off networking at GULC for three years with a full ride than getting partial schollys at CCN and making no inroads in the DC area.

And you could get into GULC and maybe get money with where you're at right now. as mentioned above, that type of WE is not really as value added as you think it is, so get on your prep if that's the route you want to go.
    @Pacifico said:
    If you really want DC
    ...then you have to be at the very top of the class at ANY T14 (yes, including Yale) to be competitive and, even then, you might strike out. DC is THE hardest market to break into.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I still contend it's much easier to achieve if you are there making inroads and networking for three years versus doing that shit remotely...
    1654 karma
    @Pacifico
    I agree. I just wanted to emphasize that DC Biglaw is not easily attainable.
  • 175orelse175orelse Alum Member
    51 karma
    @Pacifico @alexandergreene93

To maximize chances at DC Biglaw, would gaining WE in DC be valuable prior to law school (to signal prior ties to market? As a SoCal native, I don't have much personal ties to DC, and understand that DC is probably the most difficult market to break into.

I was thinking one of two options (both hypothetical so bear with me)

#1 - Break 173 on the June LSAT, while applying to myriad of jobs in DC on the side to have a job in DC lined up to start in July. That way I will have roughly a year of WE in DC prior to law school (applying next cycle), and can defer if something really good opens up.

#2 - Do everything possible to secure a job in DC, while studying for the LSAT. Make the move to DC, develop ties to that market, and study the LSAT until scoring in the desired range. Have no idea what cycle I would be applying then. Pros would be that I develop ties much faster, and hopefully secure something better than legal secretary.

Sorry for such hypotheticals, just realizing the immensity of difficulty when it comes to securing my dream job/career route. Current job isn't too great career wise so not too much of a bonus there.

• blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    Route #2 is highly insecure. It doesn't matter what promises your firm will make you, especially at a firm that can get the cream of the crop lawyers. Focus on getting a good LSAT score, going to a good school, and networking during your 1L summer.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    To maximize chances in ANY big law you need to get top grades in law school. Don't overthink it.
    You need to spend less time worrying about gaining insignificant work experience and more time studying for the LSAT to get into a T14, so you can get that coveted market-paying Biglaw job. Also, I'm sure you did not intend to come off in such a fashion, but it appears that you are over-confident in your ability and/or entitled to score above a 173 on the exam. As you have probably heard continuously, no one is entitled to anything. I hope you blow it out of the water, but you cannot gauge your chances on a possible score. I was consistently scoring in the low to mid 170s and I walked away with a disappointing 167 on the October exam. There are many others on 7sage with a similar experience. Focus on the present--hone your skills, drill, PT and thoroughly blind review. You can do it! Just keep your eye on the prize.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @alexandergreene93 said:
    You need to spend less time worrying about gaining insignificant work experience and more time studying for the LSAT to get into a T14, so you can get that coveted market-paying Biglaw job. Also, I'm sure you did not intend to come off in such a fashion, but it appears that you are over-confident in your ability and/or entitled to score above a 173 on the exam. As you have probably heard continuously, no one is entitled to anything.
    +100