Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on February vs June

2RARE2CARE2RARE2CARE Member
edited November 2015 in General 248 karma
I'm looking to write February LSAT currently, averaging in the low 160s, (163 last PT) aiming for a 170. That gives me two months and change before February. I think I can make the jump to 170 but I see a lot of people recommending skipping February and aim for June. However, I feel as though I can hit my peak within the next two months. I think June would be dragging it on, don't think I'd even have enough material to last to June. What do you guys think? PS. I study approx 30-35 hrs a week. Thanks!

Comments

• hazelnut13hazelnut13 Alum Member
    244 karma
    Sometimes you have to go with the momentum you have! If you really think you can get to your goal score in two months, then go for it. There's always June to fall back on.
  • lsatingslsatings Alum Member
    349 karma
    In the same boat! Also 30-35 hours a week is a lot and you might burn out and need a break or two between now and the February LSAT. I'm kind of struggling currently with the fact that maybe I don't have enough material to last me that long and really not wanting to drag it out that long. I'm scoring in the same range and it can be kind of frustrating. I guess it all depends on what score you want. Here's my suggestion: definitely prioritize your score over everything else right now, if youre not scoring where you need to be by the withdrawal deadline, then push it back. You can always figure out your study schedule for a few additional months, but it'll take years to get rid of a bad score that you dont want admissions committees to see. That's how I'm approaching this. Hopefully it helps you too.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited November 2015 3438 karma
    Imo its a little too early to say right now... you should keep working and take a call the week before the test... I know that means a forfeit... but you will have the best idea of what to do at that point of time. Also... don't put too much stock in what "a lot of people" say... I may say something, as may other mentors and sages and indeed other members of the forum and those involved somehow in this process and your life. We all try to give well meaning advice... but at the end of the day, you're the one preparing... you know yourself the best... and those 4 - 5 hours are yours... nobody else will feel the effects of what you do more than you... so take what everyone says into account... but go with your gut.
  • beth.flandersbeth.flanders Alum Member
    212 karma
    On a side note, I just withdrew from the December test because I am far from ready. I believe i can be ready for February but the February test is nondisclosed which I'm not particularly fond of because LSAC only releases your scores. If you reach your goal this probably won't be an issue but if you don't you won't be able to review your test in detail to see which sections and/or questions were answered incorrectly. With that said, I'm seriously contemplating waiting until June. Like @"Nilesh S" indicated, I'm the only one that can accurately measure my own level of confidence and readiness and I will wait until January to make that determination as to whether or not I sit for the February test.
  • pritisharmapritisharma Alum Member
    edited November 2015 477 karma
    I am in the same boat , will be withdrawing Dec , have withdrawn once before ... I will decide in early-mid Jan I think. Certainly want to shoot for Feb since I want to get it done with sooner rather than later. My BR score is in the 170-173 range and timed score is low 160s I want to raise both. Essentially I want my timed score to meet my current BR. Not sure if this can be done . It is all too depressing right now.
  • 2RARE2CARE2RARE2CARE Member
    248 karma
    Thanks for the advice, I suppose were all in the same boat. I think it's gonna boil down to throrough/quality review on all materials. I wish there was a April LSAT because I definitely don't need another 6 months for June but 2 might be a bit less than what I need.
  • 2RARE2CARE2RARE2CARE Member
    248 karma
    I'm planning on doing 2 prep tests a week, maybe 3. While drilling LGs on down time. How about you Guys?
  • pritisharmapritisharma Alum Member
    477 karma
    2 prep tests a week both timed and BR . I think I will revisit parts of the curriculum. Will analyze 4 recent BRs to see what needs more work concept wise. Downtime is RC for me .. cannot finish it in 35 min. It needs more work than others in my case.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @2RARE2CARE said:
    I'm planning on doing 2 prep tests a week, maybe 3. While drilling LGs on down time. How about you Guys?
    This sounds solid!
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Yeah I am in the same boat. Really under performed in Oct due to outside issues and well I am not confident I'll have that big of improvement and know Ill still not be at my target score with December so I would be looked at a 3rd take anyway... which well sees stupid to waste a take 2, unless in the next few days I can ave high 160s. If that happens Ill take Dec and apply to schools and then leverage a Feb or June take for my scholarship money. But... right now... I am in the 170s on retakes and low 160s on fresh (but older i.e. 40s PTs). Soooo.... yeah sucks to be me.... Retakes I am rocking it... new material not so much.. and after this the only fresh material I will have are the unpublished under 19 BUT I have drilled many of those... ugh
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    If you're in that range you really need to stop focusing on the score and start focusing on the learning process. If you do that, the scores will come, and eventually they'll stay there consistently. Focusing too hard on the score will likely end up hurting you at different times in your prep, and in different ways. High scores will feed your ego so the first time you pass 170 you'll think you're good to go, when you might have just taken a test that jived with your current skills, only to follow it up with some mid 160s or worse. Trust in the process and let that guide you. If you don't develop a really solid feel for the test across multiple PTs then you really need to postpone.
  • Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
    1049 karma
    A big factor for me is that June is in the afternoon and I'm not a morning person - AND it allowed me to get my applications in early for rolling admissions (rather than tail end with Feb).