Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth it to postpone taking the December LSAT

173817381738173817381738 Member
in General 19 karma
I am supposed to be taking the December LSAT, because of numerous reasons including school, work, and health issues I haven’t given my self enough time to study. I am in a predicament, if I don’t take the LSAT I will need to take a year off after my undergraduate (graduating spring 2016). I have great contacts at the moment in law schools, city officials, and law offices. I am not sure how long they will be there and on my side for so time is of the essence. If I take the LSAT this weekend I may do terrible and not even get into law schools. I am just trying to weigh my pros and cons and would love your opinions. I am not looking to go to any top school. Is it worth it to wait for the February or June LSAT? Would any schools accept the February 2016 LSAT to start in Fall 2016? How do you view taking the LSAT more than once, since I could possibly take the lsat this week and if I do terrible take the year off and take it a second time. Any info or opinions is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    Can you be more specific about you personal goals? Would you be happy scoring around the same as your diagnostic score? (have you taken a diagnostic yet?)
    If you want to improve, you need to push back when you take the test and actually study. Your LSAT matters more than your connections (I assume you mean great letters of rec? Those are a small part of the equation for which schools you get into; UG GPA and LSAT matter the most).
    If you don't need to improve your abilities and you're itching to get into school, take it and expect to score wherever you are currently scoring in PTs, or slightly below. If that gets you into the school of your choice, great.
    For the record, many schools consider you a more interesting applicant if you get some real world experience (ie don't go to school straight out of undergrad). Also, I found it personally helpful to have significant time doing something else. It made me more sure I wanted to do LS and also more practical about the debt load.
    Have you considered the huge advantage of taking the time to study for the LSAT, scoring higher than average for your LS of choice, and getting fantastic scholarship offers? That may not fit your personal goals, but it sounds like you're rushing here and perhaps have not considered all the options. If you're fresh out of college, you have time. Think about what you want and pursue it, even if means withdrawing from the Dec test.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    None of those "connections" are going to help you with a shorty LSAT score. I would postpone until June at the earliest, get some WE and study hard and apply for fall 2017.