Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Day.

nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
edited December 2015 in General 7965 karma
Hey guys—I've got some game day tips I'd like to share. This is what I'm doing this week; I think about these things very strategically. I believe these steps help to keep stress down and morale up.

1) Between now and Saturday, wake up at 6am. Waking up ~3 hours before the earliest time you're likely to start the test (in October, we put pencil to paper by 9.15 at an unusually efficient testing center) will help ensure that your cortisol levels are up and that you're fully awake. Waking up at this time between now and Saturday helps to ensure that you'll be tired enough to go to bed Friday night. Also, no screens/blue light after 9pm. This will help ensure that you're not artificially stimulating cortisol (waking yourself up) before bed.]

2) Pre-hydrate. Drink a gallon of water today, and every day before the test. It's really not that big of a deal to drink that much water, and doing so will ensure that you are well hydrated the morning of without having to drink much (if any) liquids.

3) Practice your game day routine at least twice. This means wake up at 6am, eat the exact same breakfast you plan for game day. Keep track of what you eat and drink and when you do it. Track your hunger, thirst, and bathroom need levels (just like in The Sims). Pro-tip: if you need to go at 10AM, there's a very strong likelihood that if you follow the same plan/timing, you will need to go in the middle of section 2. Which is what we want to avoid.

4) Day of, general: don't do anything differently from your dress rehearsals. No magic pills. No extra coffee. No tricks. No surprises. I recommend you get to the test center early and just go for a walk around the grounds if feasible. You might see some insane people flipping out. Disregard. You are not them.

5) Day of, warm up: Whatever you do, don't score anything. And don't do any new material. Maybe take a handful of LR Q's, maybe one easy game, maybe one easy RC. Just chill out about it. You're just warming up your mechanics.

6) Day of, during the break: Seriously, don't talk to anyone. People will try to talk to you because they are nervous or want reassurance. You are not there to be anyone's friend. You are not there to be anyone's therapist or life coach. My advice if someone talks to you: tell them you've taken a vow of silence until after the test. Yes, @Pacifico, I see the irony of telling someone that you've taken a vow of silence :) But do whatever you need to ice them out and indicate that you're not available for chatting. However you put up your personal "Do Not Disturb" status—just don't let anyone throw you off your game.

No magic.

No tricks.

No fear.

No regrets.

Game Day, Dec. 2015.

YOU GOT THIS.

<3

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    That would be breaking the vow of silence and then they'll know you're full of shit. Best to make some business cards that say that and hand them out to everyone before the test.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited December 2015 7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    That would be breaking the vow of silence and then they'll know you're full of shit.
    I know, that's part of the fun of it! Make em think, "Hey wth ..." :D
    @Pacifico said:
    Best to make some business cards that say that and hand them out to everyone before the test.
    Should we make some "I've taken a vow of silence" 7sage t-shirts??
  • GordonBombayGordonBombay Alum Member
    456 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    6) Day of, during the break: Seriously, don't talk to anyone. People will try to talk to you because they are nervous or want reassurance. You are not there to be anyone's friend. You are not there to be anyone's therapist or life coach. My advice if someone talks to you: tell them you've taken a vow of silence until after the test.
    Great advice. Made this mistake last go around in Oct. due to all the anxious conversation taking place around me. Rookie mistake that will not happen twice.
  • sean.marzsean.marz Alum Member
    181 karma
    Great advice as always @nicole.hopkins . I have to travel to my test center and will be checking in Thursday in order to relax on Friday. I was going to order room service for breakfast Saturday morning just so I didn't have to worry about preparing food for myself (nothing too heavy.. just some eggs or something) but I should def do a test run friday morning to make sure the food is okay and check when I have to go to the washroom. On test day the last thing you need to be thinking about during RC is that you have to go #2!!!!
  • kennedybjkennedybj Alum Member
    697 karma
    If you click on the #2 link above, it takes you to a place where there is a search bar to search the discussions once again :) <3
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    Great advice @nicole.hopkins . We're going to need you to stick around and give us this pep talk again in June!
    7965 karma
    @"GSU Hopeful" Don't worry—I'm not going anywhere ;)
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    Great tips!
    697 karma
    @nicole.hopkins so are you saying don't talk to anyone on test day at all?
  • NathanialNathanial Alum Member
    124 karma
    If thats what she meant, i agree with her. Talking to others could lead you to lose your focus. Best thing to do is just keep your head down and do your thing. Last time I gave the exam i was unprepared and was looking for people to talk to. This time I'm gonna crush the exam and I want full focus in the zone :)
    edited December 2015 697 karma
    I didn't talk to anyone last time but I don't think ill necessarily lose focus if I do talk to someone
    7965 karma
    @kennedybj said:
    so are you saying don't talk to anyone on test day at all?
    Yepparoonies! Be kind but maintain focus.
    7965 karma
    Right there with y'all on the hydration front ... Here's proof!

• kaytheehkaytheeh Member
    132 karma
    Is that a growler? Jk