Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT76 S4 Q9

The question is a "which of the following propositions is best illustrated by the situation described in the passage?"/ a principle one.

I'm not sure as to why (D) is not the correct choice, and why it's (C).

Comments

• GhoorchGhoorch Alum Member
    57 karma
    If you read the stimulus, it is about getting the best performance out of employees. "Employees" must go to work already wanting to do a good job. And the best way to do this (getting them to go to work wanting to do a good job) is by delegating responsibility to them (them making a decision on their own). They add that the impact of delegating "especially" works when it's a decision that the manager has already made.

So it never says they do a better job, or that they'll make the best decisions. Just that that's the way to extract performance, not by threatening or with raises.

Answer choice C is referring to the manager, he/she can be effective by giving up control (in decisions) and that is the proposition in the stimulus.
  • sarkisp23sarkisp23 Alum Member
    374 karma
    Stimulus says: Boss shouldn't tell them what to do. They should just decide themselves.

D is too extreme. It says the employees doing the work know best what decisions to make. But do they? How do we know? All we know is that one of the best ways to get your employees to do a good job is to relinquish that decision-making power to them.

And that's exactly what C says. Sometimes, your effectiveness (as a boss who's aim is to get the most out of your employees) is enhanced when you give up some of your power to your employees.
  • destinyriggsdestinyriggs Alum Member
    23 karma
    I found answer C difficult to choose because I read it to mean that one's effectiveness is improved by their relinquishing of control. By this reading the transfer of responsibility flows in the wrong direction. That said, none of the other choices made any sense either, so I should have been able to spot my error.