LG - Do you begin to recognize patterns?

Edmond.DantesEdmond.Dantes Alum Member
in Logic Games 155 karma
Hi All,

I'm interested in how other people feel about this topic, especially from LG vets.

I'm practicing LG with the assumption that, as I do more of these, I'll eventually begin to recognize patterns (similar keyboards, rules, conditionals, etc.). Is this true? I was talking to my roommate (who killed the October LSAT with 170+), and he told me that after 100 LG games, "I have never seen one that's similar."

Comments

• Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    I think there are recurring types of games, such as in/out, single sequence, double sequence, tables etc and all of those options can have twists. The topics can vary quite a bit but after a while you don't really pay that much attention to what the actual topic is. You will just develop a habit of noting your game pieces, your rules in a a way that is easy to visualize, set up your board etc.. it becomes pretty automatic or robotic. I think that is when you hit your sweet spot & can usually crush any game you come across, even if it has confusing or convoluted stem such as the last game of PT about the newsletter. Keep practicing & I think you will become very familiar with the patterns.
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    There are undoubtedly patterns associated with these things. Repetition will allow us to capture the big picture items such as game recognition, getting the board right, drawing the rules correctly, etc. But, after you have all these items mastered, the true marvel of the fool proof method comes out. Games might not appear to similar, but they all use similar inferences. And its these inferences that we are really concerned about. Being able to capture these inferences in your mind and transferring them to paper is a necessary condition for perfect sections and under time. While it is important to recognize patterns within the games regarding their structure, recognizing patterns in the inferences drawn is of paramount importance.
  • Edmond.DantesEdmond.Dantes Alum Member
    155 karma
    Precisely my thoughts. Thanks!
  • kennedybjkennedybj Alum Member
    697 karma
    I agree with @"GSU Hopeful"
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited December 2015 8021 karma
    @jniu.boston said:
    he told me that after 100 LG games, "I have never seen one that's similar."
    I'm amazed he got above a 170+ and didn't think any games were similar. Outside of weird games it's pretty much either sequencing or grouping or some combination. They're pretty limited in what they can do and that's why you can see patterns across games. There are only so many ways they can write the rules after all.