Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strategy for guessing on questions?

173817381738173817381738 Member
in General 19 karma
Any strategy used to guess, say the last 5 questions? Eg. BBBBB, ABCDE, ACAAC? Any strategy that is statistically beneficial?

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    edited December 2015 12637 karma
    There is no strategy for guessing questions. Guessing isn't something I'd recommend to get a habit of. If you find yourself guessing, it means you don't have the material down and you should revisit.
  • 173817381738173817381738 Member
    19 karma
    Thanks for the quick response. I totally understand, I'm just taking the LSAT tomorrow and figured if i got stuck in a situation of guessing for one reason or another than i be ready. Any other last tips?
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    If there were a pattern, people would be using it to check their answers even if they didn't guess.

Just pick and pray. The entire point of a guess is that you're not spending time on it and just accepting the blind 20% chance. If you're spending time agonizing about what to guess, you're defeating the purpose.

Decide now what you're going to bubble (I chose C because I'm a sucker for symmetry, though it didn't end up coming into play) and just do that on the test.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Always pick F.
  • LSATKingsmanLSATKingsman Alum Member
    1024 karma
    @Pacifico Always
  • Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    edited December 2015 3107 karma
    I always pick D since my first name starts with D. Plus, in my total confirmation bias opinion, I tend to find the answers to questions 18-25 on LR to be in the C-E range. But, that's totally anecdotal, and I have other evidence of that.

Edit/Addendum: PowerScore has some stats on it that are a little interesting to read:

https://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/guessing.cfm

http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/bid/326362/Advanced-LSAT-Guessing-Strategy-Referring-To-Prior-Answers
  • pritisharmapritisharma Alum Member
    477 karma
    Thanks @"Accounts Playable" liked the second link .. when I am out of time.