Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hit a Peak?

kwilliams92kwilliams92 Alum Member
edited May 2014 in General 17 karma
I've completed all of the coursework and having been taking my prep tests consistently for the past 8 weeks along with Blind Review, but it seems I have hit a peak. I have been consistently scoring in the 158-162 range (with blind review at 170), but I can't seem to take that next step. Any suggestions?

There's no particular question type that I struggle with, and on average I'm missing the same amount of questions on each section of each prep test. RC is my main weakness.

Comments

• ONuellaOONuellaO Alum Member
    210 karma
    Hi there!!
    I’m in the same boat as you are and i found myself improving greatly bc of these following steps.

If i get the answer wrong with time pressure and then i BR and i get it right, I retrace my steps during the test (Thats why i like to BR, almost immediately). I write down what my mistake was, i do this for EVERY question, why my original answer was wrong.
    Then, before i write another test, i review my previous test, look at all the mistakes i made, write down my goals on the new test before i start.
    That way you’re aware of your mistakes and are working on improving them.
    This worked tremendously well for me in LR.
    Same goes for RC as well, make sure you know EXACTLY what you did wrong and do not move on until you do. My problem with RC now is timing and learning to let go of questions. (I read the economist now though, like 4 articles a day, just to get my reading and comprehension a lot quicker).
  • k the land surveryork the land surveryor Alum Member
    49 karma
    Definitely co-sign the first comment.
    I thought I had hit a wall and then got my best score yet. For reading comprehension, one thing to do is make sure you're just reading a lot in the course of your life. Make sure you have a book/magazine you're into and read it on commutes (etc.), and actually practice reading, don't just fly through the story. Another thing that helps is actively listening to podcasts like Planet Money and Radio Lab. You can use these tool to practice evaluating arguments even when you're not "strictly studying."
  • raytranrraytranr Alum Member
    105 karma
    Figure out a "warm up routine" to get you to the state of accuracy that you are in which enables you to hit the 170 during BR - it might mean some drills, it might mean reviewing old tests.
  • kwilliams92kwilliams92 Alum Member
    17 karma
    Thank you all for the advice. I used the recommendation of writing out my mistakes that led me to choose the wrong answer during the timed conditions after taking my last prep test, and I did see a slight score improvement from my previous high on the following test. I will continue with this process from now on!