To past test takers -- how close was your score guesstimate?

splitterhopefulsplitterhopeful Alum Member
in General 340 karma
I'm curious to know what you guy's gut feeling was in relation to your actual score, and how many of your answers were actual guesses. I have a gut feeling score, but I'm hoping I did a couple better... :/

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @splitterhopeful said:
    I'm curious to know what you guy's gut feeling was in relation to your actual score, and how many of your answers were actual guesses. I have a gut feeling score, but I'm hoping I did a couple better... :/
    Impossible to guess. BUT just go ahead and assume you were +/- 3 of your average of last 3. That will keep you sane and also typically reflects reality. There's not accounting for outliers. So just stop thinking about it, ok?
  • splitterhopefulsplitterhopeful Alum Member
    340 karma
    Thanks... but cannnn't! I may need to buy that PS4 after all.
    7965 karma
    Seriously, I drove myself crazy after my first take!! And all that speculation was for naught :D And here I am. I'm ok! You'll be ok, too.
  • kennedybjkennedybj Alum Member
    697 karma
    Yeah im not worried anymore. convinced myself that i came, i saw and i conquered that baby
  • Elle2015Elle2015 Alum Member
    198 karma
    I didn't try to guess my exact score, but my gut told me that I wasn't going to hit my goal and it was right. I didn't, but I was within -3 of my average. Regardless, if this is your first take, you'll be fine. If you don't hit your goal, you can retake the LSAT. :) If it makes you feel better, just assume the worst realistic scenario and began preparing to do it again.
  • PetrichorPetrichor Alum Member
    edited December 2015 359 karma
    I performed better than I thought both times. Actual scores were less than 1 point different than respective average PTs leading up to the exams.
  • splitterhopefulsplitterhopeful Alum Member
    340 karma
    I'm sure I'm within 3 of my PT average also... unfortunately, that is the difference between success and most likely a disastrous end to this cycle. :(
  • kennedybjkennedybj Alum Member
    697 karma
    I haven't taken but 1 whole PT since October so..yeah
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    edited December 2015 1654 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    Impossible to guess. BUT just go ahead and assume you were +/- 3 of your average of last 3. That will keep you sane and also typically reflects reality. There's not accounting for outliers. So just stop thinking about it, ok?
    You will drive yourself inane thinking about the score. In terms of guessing, I knew that I was not at my best in October, and I guessed a score range and scored within that range. "+/-3" is commonly stated on forums, but it is not the rule. I scored well below my average on the October exam.
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    edited December 2015 6866 karma
    I was personally far too pessimistic, which I find to be the norm. I thought I bombed but actually scored a bit better than my previous best. I also think the pessimism tends to increase as score increases, because high scorers are more aware of all the things that they could have screwed up.

Outliers happen, of course, but they're outliers for a reason. Barring some actual disaster on test day (and I mean like "guy next to me threw up all over my scantron" disaster, not "oh I feel like I didn't do so hot in section 3"), +/- 3 is the best estimate you'll get, and the rest is a pure guessing game, so why bother going beyond that?
    7965 karma
    @"Jonathan Wang" said:
    I was personally far too pessimistic, which I find to be the norm. I thought I bombed but actually scored a bit better than my previous best. I also think the pessimism tends to increase as score increases, because high scorers are more aware of all the things that they could have screwed up.

Outliers happen, of course, but they're outliers for a reason. Barring some actual disaster on test day (and I mean like "guy next to me threw up all over my scantron" disaster, not "oh I feel like I didn't do so hot in section 3"), +/- 3 is the best estimate you'll get, and the rest is a pure guessing game, so why bother going beyond that?
    +100!