Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAC GPA Calculation

markg.aafmarkg.aaf Member
in General 31 karma
I believe I have a strange situation regarding my LSAC GPA calculation. In high school I took dual-credit courses with the local junior college that partnered with my HS. We could take these courses that would give us college credit but would not count towards our college GPA; instead, the grade we received counted towards our HS GPA. The JC represented these courses on the transcript as a 'B' that was not calculated in the GPA and my University did the same with the added detail that it was a transfer credit from the JC. However, LSAC included these B's in my cumulative GPA. The coincidental part is that my cumulative GPA is the same whether or not those grades are included in the calculation since my cumlative GPA is a 3.03. The only difference if these grades are included is that some semesters they decrease my cumulative and other semesters they increase my cumulative. If I had actually studied in college and had a 4.0 I would be pissed that these B's were included in my cumulative when I actually earned A's as far as my HS is concerned, but since it's the same either way I don't know what I should do. Should I contact LSAC or the JC to say that these grades should not be included in the cumulative calculation? I would think it would look better to Law Schools if these courses were just listed as credits instead of B's even though the ending cumulative GPA calculation is the same no matter what.

Anyone have any thoughts on this confusing situation? Thanks!

Comments

• fishtwentyfivefishtwentyfive Free Trial Member
    227 karma
    @markg.aaf
    Well if it's not going to affect how the admissions perceive you as a candidate, it doesn't seem like a big deal.

I think all your worries would be eliminated by simply attaching a special note in the addendum section of the application, that says everything you just wrote in this post. Then the admissions will understand.
  • deleted accountdeleted account Free Trial Member
    393 karma
    LSAC won't be willing to change anything, and the JC has no control over it. You could include an addendum, but if you do it should be very very short, like 1 or 2 sentences (adcoms don't want to have to read even more).
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I wouldn't write anything. They're not outliers and you don't want to make them read something that is unnecessary. Everyone has to live with their LSAC GPA and schools primarily only care about that number and if there are any positive trends that can help you as well. If it significantly changed your GPA that would be one thing but they will see when and where they came from and understand what's happening.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    And on the off chance you really confuse them then they will likely reach out for clarification if they even care at all.
  • allergicallergic Alum Member Inactive Sage
    246 karma
    I agree with Pacifico, I wouldn't write anything. I don't think they will care.
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    Agree with above! Best of luck.
  • markg.aafmarkg.aaf Member
    31 karma
    Thanks everyone! I was probably overthinking this, but needed some advice to ease my anxiety.