Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Meditation: does it really help?

StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
in General 821 karma
Would like to start as I've read about the many benefits.
Few questions though:
1) Did meditation help you for the LSAT?
2) Any apps/videos for beginners?
3) How long does it take to start seeing the benefits? Taking LSAT in a month. If I start now is it too late? Thanks!

Comments

• pritisharmapritisharma Alum Member
    edited January 2016 477 karma
    I guess the answer depends on who you are. So the question is why are you thinking about this a month ahead of the exam. How are you hoping it would help you ? I think I need meditation to get myself together, but there are others who are always in that "Zen" state of mind :-) so they may need it less or not at all . So the question is what are you hoping to achieve /work on in the last month . Bottom line it could not hurt (at least afaik)
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    @StopLawying I have been using the Headspace App (iOS but it is also on Android) for about 6 months. It has helped not only with LSAT but also with overall mood and feeling as well. I have found that my concentration is improved and the "cloudiness" that is sometimes present during long study periods/PTs is a lot easier to control. When I find my mind wandering, I find it easier to snap back and get back to work.

Headspace offers a free 10 day introduction in which they tout that you will be able to notice a significant change in the "well being of your mind". I definitely noticed a change and ended up subscribing. I think you'll be able to notice a change within a month, but I wouldn't use it as a "save your butt" kind of thing either. Best of luck to you.
  • StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
    821 karma
    @pritisharma With test day in approximately a month I'm starting to feel a bit anxious which I think is affecting me when I take practice tests. Finding it a bit harder to stay focused and on task than I did a few months ago.
    @"GSU Hopeful" you're awesome. You always respond to all my questions/concerns and you're advice is always extremely helpful. Thanks a ton!
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    No problem. Anytime!
  • pritisharmapritisharma Alum Member
    edited January 2016 477 karma
    hmm makes sense , mindfulness is generally known to help with that , I follow mindfulness and particularly like this instuctor : http://www.audiodharma.org/teacher/1/ I'd say about 5 deep breaths (inhale and exhale couple counts longer than you usually do .. particularly exhale, with focus on the breathing) has helped me before I start the test.
  • Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
    1049 karma
    I think it helps - at the very least with all the intense thinking we do, it's like turning off the computer to give it a break.

JY has a nice link in the course (i think it's toward the end). I've also heard good things about the apps "calm" and "headspace"
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    @"Quick Silver" said:
    intense thinking
    I do most of my "in-tents" thinking on camping trips.
  • J_ClarksonJ_Clarkson Alum Member
    edited October 2019 585 karma
    yes it definitely helps! 10% Happier is a good read
  • amipp_93amipp_93 Alum Member
    585 karma
    Definitely helps. I meditate for 15 mins every day to pin drop silence. No apps, no guided anything. I prefer pin drop silence, ofc do what you prefer! Sounds crazy right but its worth it:

1) Its crazy hard at first to not have a single thought for the entire 15 mins. Ill think about the grilled cheese I had for lunch or if its leg day or back day at the gym today. But if you consistently do it, you can definitely go 15 mins without a single thought bc thats how in control you'll be. Again this may sound crazy but I've been meditating for 2 months now 15 mins everyday to silence and now any time a thought comes up, i can easily push it off and concentrate on nothingness. Its like sleepless sleep. You're aware of your being and heartbeat and breaths but no single thought at all. How peaceful is that. For 15 mins out of a crazy day for us LSAT geeks, we can have no thoughts at all. Give it a try!