Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Horrible test anxiety

in General 82 karma
does anyone have any test anxiety tips? I just took the last for the second time and completely froze as soon as the first section (rc) started. I'm usually good at that section but was so nervous that I completely froze on the first reading and couldn't process anything. This happened to me last time with logic games! Any tips from anyone who has overcome similar experiences with last anxiety??

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @patricia.martin.robles said:
    I just took the last for the second time and completely froze as soon as the first section (rc) started.
    Take a look at my game day tips. http://www.ilovelsat.com/pro-tips/

Most of this is geared towards managing the physiological precursors of test anxiety like you describe. I believe that a combination of self-care, good nutrition (have you gotten blood work done to check for vitamin D or B deficiency?), and mindfulness will really help you.
  • Julia LJulia L Alum Member
    354 karma
    Hey, I totally feel you. I had a really bad anxiety attack the first time I took it in June. I completely froze for a good 5 minutes and then I let that ruin everything. My head was cloudy the entire time I took it. But this time in December was so much better, had pretty good mental clarity throughout the entire test.

Definitely self-care and rest throughout your prep, healthy eating and EXERCISE. Also, do what you love and hang out with friends :) It will remind you that the world is so much bigger than the LSAT. It's ironic that focusing SO much on your goal can actually do the opposite and harm your performance.

It's great to have a goal of a high score, but really discipline yourself to focus on the skills that you're building and forget about the score. It's an active discipline, honestly, because we put so much pressure on ourselves to attain that goal. And that will manifest subconsciously as nerves. But it's the process that matters :)
  • lenelson2lenelson2 Member
    edited June 2016 523 karma
  • Artwork94Artwork94 Free Trial Member
    edited December 2015 140 karma
    Agreed, first time in October I had such anxiety and I could not think clearly at all. It was terrible. Second time around I meditated most nights and put everything in perspective-it is an important test, but its not life and death (I think...I hope...) I felt so much better second time with a different perspective. I felt refreshed and confident.
  • badgalriribadgalriri Alum Member
    316 karma
    Soooo I just bombed my dec test - haven't seen this score for like 7 months - and (after a couple hours of despair) was wondering if anyone has anymore input on test anxiety. I never had it before so it came as a huge surprise day of, and my mind just went numb and I wasn't thinking for most of it. I'm okay with where I was averaging, so I just want to get rid of the fear. Since I have a couple months till my last retake, what would you advise I add to my daily routine? I work out and eat decently - will cut out sugars though and try to start meditating
  • chmccombchmccomb Free Trial Member
    edited January 2016 16 karma
    Just remind yourself that the worst thing that can happen is that you won't do as well as you hoped, and if that does happen you can take the test again and improve.

Other than that, be sure you are taking care of yourself. Eat well, exercise regularly, and get plenty of rest. Just doing these simple things will greatly reduce anxiety. The night before the test make sure you go to bed early enough to have time to eat breakfast and maybe even get a work-out in before you head to the testing center.
  • GochujiangGochujiang Alum Member
    42 karma
    Some others in the forums have recommended meditation. Personally, I just downloaded a couple apps that people had mentioned and am trying them out now. One is called "Headspace," and the other is "Calm." These are on iOS, so I'm not sure about android. Good luck!
  • mimimimimimimimi Free Trial Member
    368 karma
    do not set a target score! this helped me .