June Test-Takers, Week of Jan. 4th: Tues (PT 35), Sat ( PT 36)

DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
edited January 2016 in Study Groups 7468 karma

June Test Takers! We’ve got 5 months, so let’s make them count by getting our fundamentals down!

Here’s the schedule this week:

BR GROUPS

Tuesday, Jan. 5th at 8PM ET: PT 35

Click here to join this conversation: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/239503069

LSATurday, Jan. 9th at 8PM ET: PT36

Click here to join this conversation: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/239503069

June BR Group Schedule: http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/6171/june-test-takers-group-br-schedule-updated

Note: these tests (PTs 29-35) are part of the 7Sage curriculum and, for all intents and purposes, are retakes. That being said, I think it’s a great way to build up our LSAT fluency by taking an actual PT without having to use the modern tests until we absolutely have to. Another way of thinking about this is we are essentially going to do BR groups of the 7Sage curriculum, something I know a lot of students have requested. Some people might disagree with me, but I don’t think it wouldn't be a waste of time or effort for someone who is still working through the curriculum to do this PT, BR it and then meet up for the call.

NOTE: Great News! Starting now, we’ll be using GoToMeeting for all of our BR group needs. (It’s also why we’ve already released the link to the workshop!) More details to come!

HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!

Be sure to announce in the comments which group(s) you’re planning on attending.

Fine Print

(NOTE: you all want to be lawyers; reading fine print is what lawyers do, so READ IT!)

BR GROUP NOTES:

• If you want to attend these sessions, you MUST click that link.
  • Here’s an FAQ on GoToMeeting.com: http://www.gotomeeting.com/meeting/online-meeting-support
  • Then, download the application (for your computer or mobile device).
  • For everyone: take the PT under timed conditions; BR as you are able; join us for all or part of the call—everyone is welcome.
  • Note: For the purposes of the call, we like to check our group blind review score together at the very end of the call :) So at least don't say ... "No guys, really, it's D, I checked it.” Use your reasoning.
  • These groups work best when folks from ALL stages of prep and with all different goals join in! Not just for "super-preppers" and definitely not just for the casual LSATer (does such a person exist?).
  • The only expectation anyone has for these calls is for you to have fun and ask questions as you desire. We are just a bunch of LSAT lovers who gather via GoToMeeting and intellectually slaughter each test.

Comments

• DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    @belleboxer we have 2 sets of BR groups: one for Feb test-takers and one for June test-takers. This is the discussion for the June Test takers. I’ll also post a discussion the morning of each BR group as a reminder.
  • MaritzaaMaritzaa Alum Member
    368 karma
    Hey @DumbHollywoodActor! Question: Do you think it would be beneficial to record the BR calls? I am a little behind with the schedule. Thinking of PTing 35 today or tomorrow and listening to the recorded call. Thoughts?
    edited January 2016 7468 karma
    @Mitzyyyy I’m not too keen to start recoding the BR sessions. For one, logistics. We now have 5-6 BR group sessions per week. If I had to record each one, data storage and organization would start to get unruly. Second, you’re not going to get better explanations than the ones you’ll get from JY. BR group calls are more about process and social interaction than they are about being incredibly informative. Third, I worry about a decrease in the level of live participation in BR calls if there would be a recording of it.

If you can’t make it today, no worries. There’s going to be plenty of these. If you don’t make it today, there’s always tomorrow or the next day.
  • MaritzaaMaritzaa Alum Member
    368 karma
    Thanks, but I meant I would get on the call and do my own recording. Just thought it would be a way to "catch up". Anyway, thanks... will be on the next one. :)
    7468 karma
    @Mitzyyyy Oh, I misunderstood. Yeah, but I stand by my other reasons for participating rather than recording. However, I think if you can get the test done today without BR, that would be sufficient for you to get benefit from the call.
  • lenelson2lenelson2 Member
    523 karma
    Ok I'm for sure gonna be here today. The holidays have been crazy...
    7468 karma
    @belleboxer I moved you over here for organization’s sake because you keep posting in the Feb test -takers thread. :) Where do you see PT 36 on Thursday? It was changed to Saturday. I thought I changed it in all possible places, but I guess I missed something.
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    Quick question,

I'm retaking in June so went through the 7sage curriculum last summer and took about 18 PTs averaging 162. Does it make sense to jump into the BR group as I work through the rest of the curriculum again. Or should I keep at the cirriculum and start PTing at the beginning of Feb. as my custom study schedule suggests?

Trying to maximize the use of my time/pts this time around. Logistics were definitely a weakness when I prepped for Oct 2015
    7468 karma
    @"Ron Swanson” Not sure. What’s your avg. BR score? What’s your section breakdown average for you last 5 PTs?
    edited January 2016 1650 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor

My BR scores for the last bunch of PTs fell in 169-171 range. As far as section breakdown I was averaging about -10 on LR (combined), -5 for LG, and -8 for RC. I was heavily burnt out at the end of my studies though, and I think that added to some of the stagnation/regression I experienced down the stretch.

I'll admit though, I could have been a lot more diligent with my BR.. something I'm going to work on this time around
    7468 karma
    @"Ron Swanson"
    Well, it sounds like you have a decent understanding of the fundamentals. I wouldn’t go whole hog into the curriculum. When you BR, did you limit yourself to only the questions you circled? That part of the process might seem insignificant, but it’s integral to testing your confidence (both over and under). I’m guessing you have some test-taking bad habits (messy game boards, spending too long on questions before moving on, going into automatic mode, etc...) you need to work on. I’d take a good long look at your analytics and do a surgical review of the curriculum that requires it (with some drilling).

But I also think BR groups might be helpful too. Maybe we can have that conversation there and hear other people’s perspective. It might be helpful to both you and them.
    1650 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor

I appreciate the insight. I think I'll put a lot of effort into analytics/weak areas and join up for a call when the group hits early PTs..like 37/38.

As far as your other comments go, do you suggest BR on questions that I don't circle? I did notice that I'd occasionally get some uncircled ones wrong due to misreading or glossing over ACs. Also, what's "automatic mode"? If you mean hitting a point in LR for example where I rely on my intuition over the process as explained in the cirriculum I'm definitely guilty of that
    7468 karma
    You’re welcome. We’ll be glad to have you.
    @"Ron Swanson" said:
    do you suggest BR on questions that I don't circle? I did notice that I'd occasionally get some uncircled ones wrong due to misreading or glossing over ACs.
    No, but I do suggest spending a lot of time thinking about why you got those wrong, even more so then the ones you got wrong on BR. I also think it’s helpful to ask why you circled a question you got right on both timed and blind (i.e. Under confidence. It’s not discussed a lot, but under confidence is a major component of timing issues, in my opinion.)
    @"Ron Swanson" said:
    Also, what's "automatic mode"? If you mean hitting a point in LR for example where I rely on my intuition over the process as explained in the cirriculum I'm definitely guilty of that
    Yes, but it can be other things as well. For example, writing LG rules down without taking the time to push them together or how best to visually represent them. Another example is to read 2 sentences into an LR stimulus and not ask what’s their relationship. Unfortunately, "automatic mode” is a very general idea that can be illustrated a number of ways.