Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Devastating score

jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
in General 822 karma
Hey fellow LSAT takers,

I've been seeing lots of good posts on here, and wanted to get some input on my situation. I've been scoring anywhere between 148-154 (I know, not super fantastic, but I'll take it) on my PT's. I took the December LSAT and felt like my test anxiety might've gotten the best of me, and I was right. I scored even far below my diagnostic score. This was actually the lowest score I have ever scored out of the 25 PT's I've taken, and it's a real blow to my self-esteem.
Now I'm questioning my testing capabilities and everything... I was really planning on starting school this cycle, and I'm afraid that with such a low score at hand and only four weeks left to study, I won't be able to get a better score in February. I also feel like I'm just going to waste an entire year if I don't get in this cycle...
Anyone else in a similar position?

Comments

• nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    @jennilynn89 Instead of "wasting" the next year....make it the most productive ever! With that amount of time you can make amazing things happen to your LSAT score and in your life as well. Don't worry about the this cycle
  • hdinh14hdinh14 Free Trial Member
    edited January 2016 22 karma
    Yeah same thing happened to me. Worst score, I don't know what to say, I took over 30 PTS put everything into it, took them all carefully timed and in the morning. Felt fine on test day, wasn't too nervous, but was still nervous -- the right amount of anxiety. I have done well on the GMAT and SAT before so the test day should not have been a factor.

Can't do anything really but just retake if you have it in you.
  • jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
    822 karma
    @nye8870 thanks for the input. I know that I probably wouldn't "waste" a year, but it does feel like that right now, after studying for 5 months and then getting a score like this. It was a huge blow to my ego, but I also realize I'm not getting into the school I want to with a score like this.

@hdinh14 I'm sorry to hear that you're also in the same boat. Are you planning on retaking in February, or what is your plan of attack from here on out? I am just contemplating my options right now.
  • 37 karma
    @jennilynn89 I was scoring 155-160 on all of my PTs and thought I scored a 157 on the Dec test, or at the lowest a 155... walked out of the test room that day with a 151. I completely understand where you're coming from. It's a huge blow to your self-esteem and makes you wonder if you can really improve at all in one month after having studied for 5 months straight and seeing absolutely no improvement (I scored a 149 on my very first PT).

I'll be taking the exam again in February simply because the law school that I want to attend in Florida superscores. If your schools do as well, I would recommend focusing on your worst section (LGs for me) and seeing what happens. Worst comes to worst, you put law school off for a year and really focus all of your time and energy on getting the score your want. Just my two cents(:
  • lalafiggylalafiggy Free Trial Member
    82 karma
    I know how you feel -- I scored two points below my diagnostic and 9 points below my PT average. Second worst score I've ever gotten. It's completely devastating, especially knowing that we have so little time left before February. But you know what? It's time to eat some humble pie and hunker down again. Winners get up when they fall down. I just registered for February and it's game time -- let's do this!!
  • badgalriribadgalriri Alum Member
    316 karma
    I feel the same way as you. I scored 12 points below my constant average, and ended up with a score only 4 points above my diagnostic. If I'd gotten my average I'd be in my top law school, but anxiety hit me like a bus. We just gotta wipe our tears and move forward knowing we are intellectually prepared but just have to get mentally/emotionally/psychologically prepared now!!! Everything happens for a reason, and maybe this take around we can all get awesome scholarships as well. I'd be down to BR with anyone with a positive thought process
  • UsernameChangeUsernameChange Free Trial Member
    349 karma
    I got around 8 pts lower than my average on the October test and felt devastated. I signed up for December retake and studied hard and on the December test got 7 pts higher than my October test score. I say that to say this: keep your head up and stay focused. You can and will improve if you put in the work.
    822 karma
    @riveras.jonathan the school's I'm planning on applying to also superscore, so if I do better in Feb my chances would be better also. But the school's I'm planning on applying to have a median from around 152-158, so idk I might just be better off waiting for the next cycle, although I'm really not excited about that idea... I really like the idea of getting some good scholarship opportunities so my debt to income ratio later on won't be too awful, and I feel like with my scores I won't be competitive enough this late into the cycle to realistically get that.

@lalafiggy I am also registered for February. I registered before I even saw my score, so I could avoid the late fee, and am questioning now if those four weeks will be enough for us to improve to the point where we'd still be somewhat competitive against other applicants? What's your plan of attack?

@badgalriri You are so right, and it sounds like you are much closer to the score you want, so I think a February retake sounds very realistic for your goals! I'm always down for a BR with a positive mindset!

@UsernameChange how did you study improve that much within such a short time? My worry is not that I can't hit the score that I want to, but that I just don't have enough time right now to do that, and I'm not sure how to go about a new study plan that's more efficient and effective.
  • lalafiggylalafiggy Free Trial Member
    82 karma
    Well today I'm gonna sit down and retake the December test. Hopefully it will help me figure out what betrayed me on test day -- whether it was nerves or actual gaps in understanding. My priorities are going to be controlling nerves/anxiety (I'll try meditating, visualization and exercise), nailing down my process of elimination, timing (not rushing) and reviewing rare game types. Lots of PTs and BR of course! Unfortunately I only have exams in the 20s and 30s available right now but I should be able to get my hands on a couple of more recent unused ones.
    822 karma
    @lalafiggy that was my plan for today too. Let me know if you'd like to get together and discuss the test. If you have google hangout, you can reach me at badejc1989@gmail.com
    I'm planning on looking everything over in about an hour from now.
  • Artwork94Artwork94 Free Trial Member
    edited January 2016 140 karma
    Hey if people are discussing the December Test, I would love to join!
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Apply next cycle if that is an option. I was in the same boat as you. Ultimately I decided that I had two options: 1) Apply this cycle, get into an "okay" if even that, law school, and likely regret my decision. Or, 2) Apply next cycle, have more time to study, and hopefully get into a T20 school...thus attending law school with no regrets. I chose the latter.
    822 karma
    @Artwork94 please feel free to join in!

@MrSamIam How did you go forward in your situation? Did you study and take the June test to apply early admission? How much were you able to improve by then? I'm still trying to figure out whether or not to take February and just go ahead and apply and see what happens, and if it doesn't work out to take it again in June, but I'm not sure if this is a good strategy.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @jennilynn89 I ultimately ended up wasting $200+ in registration fees. I registered for October, 2015. Postponed to December, then ended up cancelling my Dec registration. I have learned that you do NOT set a date, and tell your self that you must reach your target score by the date. You set a target score, reach and consistently score within your target range, then, and only then do you set a date to sit the LSAT.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    ^^ YES, I wasted the same $$ and embraced the same philosophy:)
  • mcmlaw36mcmlaw36 Alum Member
    631 karma
    @lalafiggy said:
    But you know what? It's time to eat some humble pie and hunker down again. Winners get up when they fall down. I just registered for February and it's game time -- let's do this!!
    I like this @lalafiggy :) Very encouraging, thanks.