Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Addendum or no?

mjpatty12mjpatty12 Alum Member
in General 102 karma
Before I transferred to my degree granting school, I was cramming in a lot classes in the last semester before I transferred, and I ended up making a pretty dumb mistake. I missed a final, and ended up with a D in a Gen Ed class, and the professor would not let me retake the final. Is this worth an addendum? thanks in advance.

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    No, do not draw undue attention to this with an addendum. It's one class and it's really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. You want to write as few addenda as possible.
  • mjpatty12mjpatty12 Alum Member
    102 karma
    For sure, thanks man. @Pacifico
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Most consultants recommend writing Addenda if you had a D or F, especially if it had a major impact on your GPA.
    8021 karma
    Personally, I have never seen that to be the case and was not told to write one by my consultant and one grade out of ~40 is likely not going to make too much of an impact on your GPA. GPA addenda are for addressing low GPA, not addressing a single grade.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    No, do not draw undue attention to this with an addendum.
    Agree—unless you were like hit by a car right before the final. I wouldn't draw attention to the fact that you were, like, super disorganized; addenda probably only make sense if there's a good reason for them—or if you really do need to "fill in the gap" for admissions staff because you DID have a good reason for such an aberrant grade. If filling in the gap is going to hurt you and waste their time, probably not a win/win. Just my guesses though—not a professional opinion.
  • lsatingslsatings Alum Member
    edited January 2016 349 karma
    @"Nicole Hopkins" said:
    addenda probably only make sense if there's a good reason for them—or if you really do need to "fill in the gap" for admissions staff because you DID have a good reason for such an aberrant grade
    I agree with this, but also want to add something else that is super crucial in an addendum:
    writing an addendum should show two things: a BRIEF and to the point explanation for what happened (in your case, a bad grade), but it is also crucial to show evidence of growth and some sort of amendments you made to show you are 'not those grades'.

Do what @Pacifico said, and don't write an addendum because quite frankly, you don't draw anymore attention to it. Especially if your addendum will only show that maybe you were disorganized/rushed.
    8021 karma
    @lsatings said:
    it is also crucial to show evidence of growth and some sort of amendments you made to show you are 'not those grades'.
    This.