Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Main Point/Conclusion Questions

tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
edited June 2014 in Logical Reasoning 2573 karma
I'm having what I think is a weird issue. I'm not doing well with the MP/MC questions but I seem to be doing ok with the other questions. Doesn't that seem odd? If I'm having trouble with the MP/MC questions how am I able to do the other question types? Isn't this question type the most important as far as LR questions? If you can't identify the argument how can you be successful with the other question types? I think my problem is that I can determine the main conclusion if the indicator words are there but not so much if they're not. So, I'm not getting many of the harder questions correct. I'm not doing so well with determining the premises, sub-conclusions, etc. I'm using Manhattan along with 7 Sage. Obviously I have more reviewing and studying to do, but what am I missing? I'm just not getting this question type. I'm taking September test so I still have time. It's just kind of frustrating. I've been studying off and on for the past year due to some major health issues. I'm just now getting back into really studying so I know I may just be rusty but I wasn't getting these questions right when I was studying hardcore. Any questions or thoughts?

Comments

• ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    If you're hunting for premise/conclusion indicators, you will undoubtedly get the wrong answer. When it specifically pertains to MP questions, they directly misguide you with such indicators. Analyze the relationship between the premise and conclusion indicators. Also, look for "the turn": however, but, etc.
  • anne2hoanganne2hoang Free Trial Member
    edited June 2014 226 karma
    I will let you in on a dirty little secret. It is the "but" secret. Whenever you see the word "but," the conclusion will come right after it. This trick should work with but, or any other transition indicators. And thats all there is to it. Good Luck.

Here is a list of transition indicators:
    But
    However
    Although
    Even though
    On the other hand
    Yet
    Still
    Nonetheless
    Nevertheless

I can give you some examples from the June 2007 LSAT, since that one is downloadable for free.

June 2007 test, section II, question 1:
    "But not all efforts to increase..."
    The entire statement after "but" is the conclusion.
    B is the correct answer choice because it is a restatement of the conclusion.

June 2007 test, section III, question 12:
    "However, it is more likely that the similarity..."
    The entire statement after "however" is the conclusion.
    The answer D is a paraphrase of the conclusion.

This method should work 90% of the time. Just be careful when you have multiple transition indicators.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @anne2hoang thx for that! This question type just makes me feel so dumb! lol
    @Al [^-^d] same thing you said! Guess I am the "slow" one!
    3658 karma
    You aren't slow. The LSAT takes time for most people. It's a different language. Keep up the good work and I hope you do well! :)
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    Al [^-^d] thank you! Are you a student? If so, good luck to you as well! If you're an instructor, I just wanted to say you guys rock!
    3658 karma
    Haha, I'm just your typical 7sage student.