Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you attack questions that ask "What was explicitly mentioned in both passages"

LSATKingsmanLSATKingsman Alum Member
For Comparative RC how do you attack questions like this. The answers are usually a key term and very short. Is there any proven method or do you just start searching both passages and eliminate until you find your answer?

Comments

• Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma
    There are two ways I approach these questions.

First, by active reading, I can usually upfront know what was mentioned in both passages. I try to circle the common term in one passage and then draw a line/arrow to that same term on phrase in the other passage.

Second, and this is when the first step doesn't help me answer the question, I try to be strategic about which ones I am going to try. Many times, you can eliminate 2 or 3 answer choices up front because they don't fit into one passage's main point/or it doesn't seem like what the author of one the passages would talk about it.
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14017 karma
    To add to what @"Accounts Playable" has said and I think I mention this in some of the very recent RCs: I would read passage A, NOT read passage B, then go and eliminate a bunch of answers from exactly this type of question that you bring up. You can very easily get rid of a couple of answers because you haven't even read passage B yet.