Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Logic Games Crisis

guitarnaraguitarnara Alum Member
in General 365 karma
My RC scores and LR scores are rather consistent.
They are not perfect but I usually go -2 (easier ones) to -5(more difficult ones) on LR and -3 to -6/7 (depending on difficulty).
Of course, I need to further ameliorate these sections as well, but my real problem is with LG.

Two days ago, I got -2. On a good day I am getting - 0 or -1.
Today... I got - 10.... This has happened a few times before.
I got 10 wrong mostly because I ran out of time.

I have taken quite a number of PTs, and I have gone back to 30's because of the ample amount of time I have before June.
My RC and LR scores are usually not too far off from my usual testing range.

But why is it that my LG scores are drastically fluctuating?
I think I have timing issues on LG.

What are possible remedies?

Comments

• Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @guitarnara said:
    Today... I got - 10.... This has happened a few times before.
    On which PT?
  • guitarnaraguitarnara Alum Member
    edited January 2016 365 karma
    PT 37 :(
    I scored... 161. My average score is usually around 165- 168

LR -3/-4 RC -7 LG -10 .
  • mimimimimimimimi Free Trial Member
    368 karma
    -10 sounds like you missed two games. did you make careless mistakes on the ones that you knew how to do or did you misread?
    365 karma
    Well, halfway through the third game I ran out of time so I guessed 4 questions.
    In my last game, by the time I was done with the setup, I had 2 minutes to answer 6 questions.
    Being an older PT, the section had 24 LG questions
  • mimimimimimimimi Free Trial Member
    368 karma
    do you think it's a time management issue? sounds like if you did G4 before G3, you would have just missed 4 questions? but old test is rarely an indicator though, as you said there were 24 Qs.

i found that G3 is always the odd ball. try to skip it if you can determine within 30 sec that it's a time sucker..
    365 karma
    Yes I should really get better at skipping time suckers. :(
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    Have you done the entire LG bundle (games from 1-35)? Were you eventually able to do those games under JY's suggested times? Maybe you haven't had enough exposure to the diversity of games, and now it is catching up. I would suggest interpreting this pattern as an indicator of holes in your basics, you should be able to go fast on easier games if you are truly very familiar with solving them. Unless you are double checking everything or slowing yourself down, the timing issues are usually not truly timing issues, but rather indicate underlying problems with comprehension or competency.
    Another cause could be the switch from drilling individual games to working a whole section in time. I had some trouble initially with that, it took a while to figure out how to budget my time in a section, move on when I got stuck, come back to a tough game, and not let the easier questions eat up my time.
  • beth.flandersbeth.flanders Alum Member
    212 karma
    PT 37 G3 was quite a challenging (and time sink) game for me especially because of the use of referential groups rather than reference to specific items. I would agree with @allison.gill.sanford in that I wasn't exposed to this slight twist on the game. I ended up going back to PT 1, doing each game and watching JY's explanations. So far it has helped me immensely. I plan on doing every game possible before June.
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    Yeah, I would say don't worry, you seem to have a decent handle on the games and you probably need practice with unanticipated "twists", as well as working an entire section at once.
    Sometimes you just have to push yourself to move to the next game or finish a section, and then go back to the one that gave you trouble. Timing is really critical, and you must learn how to work a whole section especially when you see a more difficult game. Even in a set with a hard game, you should allocate your time to work three games quickly and accurately, and then spend the remaining time on the hard game. Then you will not be in a position where it is even possible to get -10. On the very rare set where two games are tough for you, don't let your nerves get the best of you. One of those games is probably easier than it looks, you just have to choose which one to tackle and move forward solving.
    If you're shooting for June, I would suggest finish the bundle ASAP (or, if you already did it, go do some review and drill games you are still not solid on). You can also drill whole game sets from PTs you have already taken.
    Good luck! You've got the time to nail this section.
    edited January 2016 365 karma
    Thank you all! I did another PT today and I got -2 on LG.
    But I did terribly on RC. I just didn't have enough time to get to some of the questions.
    I think that I just need to get better at not spending too much time on harder questions.

I will surely go back and do the bundles again!
    Along with RC drill sets !
    My LR is very stable. Always -2 to -5.
  • Elle2015Elle2015 Alum Member
    198 karma
    I had a similar problem. It was because I just wasn't good at LG. It remained my most volatile section. If I got lucky, I could go -0, but if I didn't I could have a potential disaster because I wasn't comfortable with all of the game types. If you complete the bundle, your timing will improve because you'll become more comfortable with everything and you should be fine. :)
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    Question off topic sort of..... How would one do the bundle if they are pting for June? Do as many lg in the bundle on non-pt days, or do the bundle first then start pting? Is there enough time to do the bundle and a good amount of pt's for June?
  • jamiearabi_29jamiearabi_29 Alum Member
    5 karma
    Hello @Elle2015! Where would I be able to find/purchase the bundles that you mentioned?
    Thank you in advance.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Work through the bundle for a few weeks until you are averaging -0 to -2 while still doing a little LR/RC to stay fresh. Then start PTing and you can use the bundle as a fifth section if need be.
  • Elle2015Elle2015 Alum Member
    edited January 2016 198 karma
    @jamiearabi_29 I don't think there's an easy place to purchase the bundle anymore, but you can get the games from PTs 1-40 through PowerScore or you can search online for companies still selling them as PDFs (here's one link: https://www.cambridgelsat.com/bundles/logic-games-by-type/). Just rearrange them so that they're not by type.